Windows 10: Installing W10 in a HD partition

Discus and support Installing W10 in a HD partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Windows 8.1 system (64 bit) and I "qualified" for the Windows 10 free upgrade, which I could already do. [img] (My system is in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gotsukcy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Gotsukcy Win User

Installing W10 in a HD partition

Hello, I have a Windows 8.1 system (64 bit) and I "qualified" for the Windows 10 free upgrade, which I could already do.

Installing W10 in a HD partition [​IMG]

(My system is in French, sorry about that).)

What I'd like to do is to have both systems in the same computer, I know how to shrink my HD in order to have enough room for a system.

The problem is I don't know how to install W10, the official released version, in a partition while keeping my original system, Windows 8.1, in another partition of my HD. I want to be able to choose between systems when I boot my computer.

Thank you

:)

Gotsukcy, Aug 4, 2015
  2. DougBG Win User

Windows 10 takes too long to shutdown/restart/hibernate

Summary: I have a HD/SSD dual boot (W10/W8.1) machine that I moved the W10 partition from the HD to a partition on the SSD . Shortly after that, the shutdown time increased to about 2 minutes. The problem cleared up when I deleted the boot partitions that
    I left on the HD, even though they were hidden and not involved (I thought) in the boot process.

Details:

The machine was originally furnished with a large HD with a Windows partition, a restore partition, and a SYSTEM partition on it. I later added a very large DATA partition for media files. Overtime, I added an SSD (as a dual boot) with W8.1 Pro on it
    and later upgraded the OS on the HD to W10 Pro. Everything worked well in this configuration.

Recently, I added the W10 partition to the SSD and inactivated the W10 partition on the HD. This left me with a dual boot of both OSes on the SSD. The BIOS was changed so the machine booted from the SSD and I used EasyBCD to setup the dual boot using only
    partitions on the SSD.

Shortly after getting everything to work OK, I noticed that the shutdown time went to about 2 minutes. The disk light flickered every so faintly as it was shutting down. Everything that others had recommended to troubleshoot this condition made no difference
    in the shutdown.

I finally deleted the SYSTEM partition on the HD and that made the machine shutdown in a very short time, regardless of which OS was active. I didn't think there was any connection remaining to the HD boot capability, but obviously there was. Since then,
    I deleted the original W10 partition (which was hidden) on the HD, leaving only an unused Recovery partition on the HD, as well as a large DATA partition. Everything works well now, Startup, Shutdown, and Hibernation.

I

DougBG, Aug 4, 2015
  3. standco Win User
    Extend C: on a second, empy HD.

PC running W10. From-scratch W10 install on 256G SSD. Added second 256 SSD which is empty. How do I expand the C: partition on the second, empty HD ?

standco, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Installing W10 in a HD partition

Win10 has to be installed as an upgrade to an existing installation. What you're trying to do is do a clean install to a different partition. While you CAN do that, it is not an upgrade, will not carry over anything from your existing install, and most important, will NOT activate. There is no capability to then activate Win10 from an existing Win7/8/8.1 key.

You can't do that with the current Win10 upgrade. When you do the upgrade, it inherits the license from your current Win7/8/8.1 installation. This means that you can not legally then go back and continue to use that Win 7/8/8.1 installation -- unless you remove Win10 and reinstall the prior OS.

Mark Phelps, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Gotsukcy Win User
    So, if I understood correctly, what I intend to do is only possible if I paid for the OS?
    Thank You

Gotsukcy, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Boozad Win User
    That's correct, you'd have to buy a separate Windows 10 licence to dual boot with your current Windows 8.

Boozad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Installing W10 in a HD partition

1. Installing W10 in a HD partition - Similar Threads - Installing W10 partition

2. Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10: Hello, i have a problem. trying to install an operating system on my acer v5. The first problem is that I cannot create a partition.Images: https://files.fm/u/2422r8zq2https://files.fm/u/6putxs97wI tried to create new ones in cmd, but I couldn't. I tried to format the disk...
  3. Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10: Hello, i have a problem. trying to install an operating system on my acer v5. The first problem is that I cannot create a partition.Images: https://files.fm/u/2422r8zq2https://files.fm/u/6putxs97wI tried to create new ones in cmd, but I couldn't. I tried to format the disk...
  4. Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. External HD Bitlocker partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HD Bitlocker partition.: I have an external hard drive with 2 partitions. One is protected with Bitlocker. Every time I connect the hard drive to a computer there information of the locked partition appears, hides it self behind other windows and I have to look for it an press the particular OK key...
  6. install w10 in a hdd partition

install w10 in a hdd partition: how to install w10 in a hdd partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-w10-in-a-hdd-partition/d91c95f8-11c8-44b4-9bba-fb79ee563776
  7. W10 installation on new HD

W10 installation on new HD: I have an Acer Aspire S3 w hich has a failed hdd. I use it for travels and the odd use of two laptops at home. I wish to replace it with a new ssd drive. I do not have a image of W10 to utilize for reinstalling the the OS., nor can I axcess the the failed harddrive. How do...
  8. New install w10. Didn't find a 1tb HD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New install w10. Didn't find a 1tb HD.: System is w10 on HP Envy, 32gb ram, 2.5tb internal HD, 250gb external. The new installation of w10 did not find a 1tb HD. There are 2 installed. Found only one. How is this solved? dlw 143386
  9. New install w10. Didn't find a 1tb HD.

in Windows 10 Support
    New install w10. Didn't find a 1tb HD.: The new installation of w10 did not find a 1tb HD. There are 2 installed. Found only one. How is this solved? dlw 143386
  10. W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD?: Hello, I purchased a second internal hard drive (not SSD) for my computer a long time ago (maybe 2 years). I wanted to practice some basic skills that are not often used but wanted to refresh myself on the process. The basic skill I did was take that secondary 1TB HD and...