Windows 10: Installing W10 on a SSD drive (duel boot with W7)

Discus and support Installing W10 on a SSD drive (duel boot with W7) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, just want to check can I duel boot W10 & W7 on a SSD drive. Thanks 4938 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by maxal, Mar 24, 2015.

1. maxal Win User

Installing W10 on a SSD drive (duel boot with W7)

Hi, just want to check can I duel boot W10 & W7 on a SSD drive.
    Thanks

:)

maxal, Mar 24, 2015
  2. Mr_Blu Win User

Am I limited to installing W10 free upgrade on the hard drive the original OS was on?

My situation is that I have a hard drive and an SSD connected to the same computer. The hard drive is where W7 is installed. However I wish to install my free W10 upgrade on my SSD and wipe my hard drive along with W7. Is this possible? Or am I limited to
    installing W10 on the hard drive the original OS was on?

Mr_Blu, Mar 24, 2015
  3. Aitch Win User
    clean install W10 on SSD designated drive B

Ha! Thanks for the reply bulldog. I'm actually an old-old timer. Started out on a Sequent? over 30 years ago using SuperCalc for an undergrad business course. I've learned a ton and built many PCs but still feel clueless given the rate of change. I
    just thought that perhaps those anachronistic drive letter assignments had gone by the wayside. Guess not.

I finally figured out the process for me was:

1)disconnect the old boot SSD with W7 from the SATA cable,

2)hook up the new blank SSD to same,

3)then put the W10 install flash drive in the USB port,

4)then go into the BIOS setup to enable boot from USB port

5)finally install W10 from the W10 install flash drive (vaguely called installation media) to new SSD

Now I'll need to figure out dual boot of W10 or W7.

Aitch, Mar 24, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

BunnyJ, Mar 24, 2015
  5. badrobot Win User
    You can but make sure to have an image backup of your 7 (or at least know where to find your recovery media for 7 just in case) and your important data. Play it safe.
    If you know nothing about restoring back ot fixing boot issues, I suggest not to do it (or do it on virtual machines). But if you think you know enough, then have fun!

badrobot, Mar 24, 2015
  6. You should first use the Backup feature in Win7 to make a Win7 Repair CD. Using that, you will be able to restore your Win7 boot loader files after you later remove Win10.

Mark Phelps, Mar 24, 2015
  7. Great advice so far *Smile

Installing is risking on the same drive as another os especially one you might need or rely on,
    It's best to use a vm or on it's own drive for sure as these builds are pretty buggy and even Microsoft does not recommend doing it on a machine you rely on for everyday work...
    Register, install and engage | Windows Insider Program

ThrashZone, Mar 24, 2015
  8. maxal Win User

Update: All went well made my backups as advised and install went smoothly I am now duel booting W7 & W10

Thanks

maxal, Mar 25, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Good to hear and welcome to the forums.

BunnyJ, Mar 25, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    They do tend to "duel" and fight for the boot programs. Check you can boot into both successfully to make sure as others have had issues dual booting with that. One OS or the other may try to take over...

adamf, Mar 25, 2015
  11. badrobot Win User
    10 always takes over after every upgrade or even after dual boot installation. Even when 7 and 10 are on separate drives, 10 takes over when booting up on the drive that has 7. I encountered that issue on one of the build upgrade and I forgot to switch off/pull out the other drives on my PC.
    But it's an easy boot fix.

badrobot, Mar 25, 2015
  12. maxal Win User
    Just an update, All was going well until today when I turned on my computer instead of seeing the blue dual boot screen I get a gray dark screen with the option of booting windows 7 or windows 10 booting up works just fine.
    Is this a bug and is there a fix for it

maxal, Mar 29, 2015
  13. base1268 Win User

Just a suggestion..... but if you want to return to that lovely blue dual boot screen then you'll need to Fix the MBR... I use Macrium Reflect in which you can create a Win PE rescue USB drive. Once you create that and boot into it the menu on the left has 'Fix Master Boot Record' option.

Macrium Reflect Free

Create a Windows PE Rescue Environment

Works for me with dual booting from 2 different partitions using windows 7 and 8.1 when I get the occasional black and white DOS looking dual boot choice screen.... just insert the Macrium Win PE thumb drive and fix MBR.... takes 60 seconds.

As for exactly what causes it I'll leave to those who can explain why it happens.

base1268, Mar 29, 2015
  14. adamf Win User
    adamf, Mar 29, 2015
  15. maxal Win User
    maxal, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing W10 on a SSD drive (duel boot with W7) - Similar Threads - Installing W10 SSD

2. Triple boot W7 W10 W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Triple boot W7 W10 W11: I have a dual boot Win 7/Win 10 system with both OS on different SSD. I intend to instal Win 11 on another separate SSD. I would like to retain some apps on W7 and W10 system so is it possible to triple boot when Win 11 is installed ? Data etc is on separate HDD....
  3. Triple boot W7 W10 W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Triple boot W7 W10 W11: I have a dual boot Win 7/Win 10 system with both OS on different SSD. I intend to instal Win 11 on another separate SSD. I would like to retain some apps on W7 and W10 system so is it possible to triple boot when Win 11 is installed ? Data etc is on separate HDD....
  4. Problem with installing w10 on w7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with installing w10 on w7: Hi All,During installation of the w10, I am facing the following error message, and I am trying every suggestions of this website but seems doesn't work for me.I would appreciate to take a look and give me some hints.It should be noted that my w7 is original and have valid...
  5. W10 Duel Boot problem

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Duel Boot problem: I have a Dell Model 9020 Small Form computer that I am working on for a friend. First I have been Duel Booting Windows & Ubuntu for years on different computers and have never run into this problem. The Dell 9020 has W10 Pro on it & it opens fine. When I install Ubuntu...
  6. Installation Failure W7 - W10

Installation Failure W7 - W10: Laptop couldn't install W10, set back to previous state W7Pro. Failure code 0x800707E7-OX3000D. The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. Is anyone familiar with this?...
  7. Clean install W10 on W7\W8.1 dual boot system with two drives

Clean install W10 on W7\W8.1 dual boot system with two drives: I currently have PC with dual boot, running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on individual SSD. I have three drives as follows: Disk 0: Win 7 (SSD 512 GB) Disk 1: Win 8 (SSD 512 GB) Disk 2: Data Storage (HDD 2TB) Windows 7 is installed on one SSD with Volume Label as Windows 7,...
  8. Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.

Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.: Just curious, is it possible to carry out a clean install of 10 on my hard drive which has 7 and 10 as a dual boot? obviously on the 10 partition. Thank you. 110034
  9. Installers written for W7 - on W10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installers written for W7 - on W10?: Hi all *Smile I am thinking of building a 64-bit W10 machine; I currently use 64-bit W7. I remember going from W98 to XP, it was impossible to install many (all?) w98 apps in XP, until the sw dev came out with a new installer compatible with XP. Same with XP to Vista....
  10. Dual boot w7 + w10

Dual boot w7 + w10: You are welcome. Glad we could help. Hi guys! Please help! So I have 2 ssd drive. Each of it has a working operating system (w7, w10). How to make the w10 dual boot menu? You had written, that we have to use the bcdboot command... From which operating system? I like...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install w10 on ssd without pendrive