Windows 10: Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10

Discus and support Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have had to reinstall my W7 OS and intend to upgrade it to W10. Can I do so without having to download and instal all the previous W7 updates ? 66974 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bernie, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Bernie Win User

Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10

I have had to reinstall my W7 OS and intend to upgrade it to W10. Can I do so without having to download and instal all the previous W7 updates ?

:)

Bernie, Oct 14, 2016
  2. tdug Win User

Retail key comes up as invalid when trying to upgrade win 7 to win 10

You have to upgrade from W7 to W10 in order to (automatically) activate the later.

Once W10 is activated, you can do a fresh W10 install (don't give any key). But not before !

W7 key won't work for W10 !

3. POB18 Win User
    Don't want W10 at this time

Upgraded to W10. Didn't like it. Used option to go back to W7. W7 didn't reinstall everything including recovery dates that were set in W7. Had to install a System Image to get back to my W7 as it was at time of upgrade to W10. But recovery dates again
    were not included. W7 working ok but now when trying to install updates W10 starts to auto install, so I can't just install updates forW7 and I can't get rid of the Pop-ups on the Task Bar telling me to now get W10. I DON"T WANT W10 until it works. I just
    want the security updates for W7. How do I get rid of auto download of W10 & get rid of the W10 Pop-ups?

POB18, Oct 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 14, 2016
  5. sn00ker Win User
    What dalchina said is all true and probably the easiest way in doing it, though I just done what you're asking. I just installed windows 7 clean and all I did was install the chipset, graphic and internet drivers, afterwards I did the upgrade process for windows 10 without any problems. Once I notice I was activated I did a clean install of windows 10 and was still activated . So, no you don't need to update windows 7 and yes you can upgrade to windows 10

sn00ker, Oct 14, 2016
  6. Bernie Win User
    Many thanks both of you for responding so promptly. That's exactly what I wanted to know and thank goodness I don't have to instal all the W7 updates. The last time I did it, it took up most of my day. Thanks.*Smile

Bernie, Oct 14, 2016
  7. sn00ker Win User
    You're welcome ... Just make sure your windows 7 is activated prior to upgrading to 10 if you decide to go that route

sn00ker, Oct 14, 2016
  8. Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10

Once Windows 10 has been activated on a device there is no need to ever reinstall the previous operating system and upgrade back to Windows 10. Just reinstall Windows 10. The device is registered with Microsoft as a Windows 10 device and will activate when Windows 10 connects to the internet. You do not need a product key and when you see the product key page notice in the top it says that if you are reinstalling use the link at the bottom that says, "I do not have a product key." ANY second or later installation of Windows 10 is a reinstallation. Yes, even a clean install.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10 - Similar Threads - Installing updates before

2. Problem with installing w10 on w7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with installing w10 on w7: Hi All,During installation of the w10, I am facing the following error message, and I am trying every suggestions of this website but seems doesn't work for me.I would appreciate to take a look and give me some hints.It should be noted that my w7 is original and have valid...
  3. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  4. Installation Failure W7 - W10

Installation Failure W7 - W10: Laptop couldn't install W10, set back to previous state W7Pro. Failure code 0x800707E7-OX3000D. The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. Is anyone familiar with this?...
  5. Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant: I have experienced a number of times that an installation of Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10, feels less performant than a Windows 10 installed from scratch on the same hardware. It boots slower and generally has more lag. It is stable though, no bsods or anything....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. Installers written for W7 - on W10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installers written for W7 - on W10?: Hi all *Smile I am thinking of building a 64-bit W10 machine; I currently use 64-bit W7. I remember going from W98 to XP, it was impossible to install many (all?) w98 apps in XP, until the sw dev came out with a new installer compatible with XP. Same with XP to Vista....
  9. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade: I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...