Windows 10: installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial?

Discus and support installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I thought I could use the same USB created with the Media Creation tool, that I used to create a regular Win 10 installation. But I'm missing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by x509, Jul 25, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial?

I thought I could use the same USB created with the Media Creation tool, that I used to create a regular Win 10 installation. But I'm missing something, because I can't get the VM to recognize that USB drive.

:)

2. Update from win 8 to win 10 failed - If I install on Virtual machine will it help to activate?

Hello,

my update process from 8 to 10 failed 2 times already.

AS far as I understood, to be able to use my Win 8 CD key on WIN 10 I have to upgrade, and not simply clean install win 10 and use the WIN 8 CD key to activate.

I try to avoid a full reinstall before being sure I can upgrade to win 10.

If I install the WIn 8 on a virtual machine like Oracle VirtualBox with my CD key on my PC (not other), activate it, and then update it to win 10, will then I be able to make a clean win 10 install on my PC and activate it? Will the data for the PC stored
    on Microsoft activation servers be the one of my PC?

Or it will be different, as virtual Box simulates the devices, the activator will consider my original PC different than the virtual machine, and my WIN 8 CD key will now only be usable for win 10 in the virtual machine installed on my PC?

BozhidarGyulmezov, Jul 25, 2016
  3. GregSorg Win User
    Security Vulnerability

Is Win XP installed as a Virtual Machine in Win 10 a security vulnerability?

GregSorg, Jul 25, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

You can't really use USB drives like that with Hyper-V. You should instead use an ISO image, which you can assign to the VM as a CD-Rom.

Mystere, Jul 25, 2016
  5. x509 Win User
    Sorry for being so dense here. I downloaded the ISO, but I can't seem to get the VM to detect that ISO. Drag-and-drop did not work. Selecting the ISO and doing a right-click didn't help either.

6. See if this helps:

Hyper-V virtualization

Slartybart, Jul 25, 2016
  7. x509 Win User
    Slartybart,

You betchum! *Thumbs

This tutorial is what I was looking for but did not find, probably becuase I was looking in the wrong place. I'm printing it out now, and I will study it tomorrow and follow the steps. But even a quick scan shows that it will help me out completely.

8. x509 Win User

I just wanted to tell you guys that the tutorial was easy to follow and I had no problems (unlike before) in creating a Hyper-V VM and then installing Windows 10.

Only weird thing is that after doing this, I couldn't acceess the internet. I opened up Properties (or Configuration, forget which) and discovered that all the check boxes were unchecked! So i fixed that, rebooted twice, and now I have internet access again.

9. *Cool Glad you got is sorted

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Jul 30, 2016
  11. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Jul 31, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    That is why I said not directly related. I actually looked on web how to use a usb (not for installing) and all the articles said it was not possible, difficult etc. The articles were over two years old. I did not see any recent articles though explaining how to do it with enhanced mode.

cereberus, Jul 31, 2016
  13. Kari Win User

If you don't have a bootable ISO to install Windows, you can make a VHD from it with New Hard Disk wizard...

installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial? [​IMG]

... by selecting Copy the contents of the specific physical disk:

installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial? [​IMG]

Add new VHD to newly created VM (of course in addition to disk you will install Windows to), change the boot order in VM settings to boot from hard disk instead of DVD and install Windows from this VHD.

Thema:

1. installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial? - Similar Threads - installing Microsoft Virtual

2. does win 10 works on virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does win 10 works on virtual machines?: I bought a refurbished laptop that came with Win 10 Pro installed. The point is windows do not allow another SO close to him, making it disappear even from Bios and seems there is no way to circumvent it from repeating this behavior every time a Linux SO is installed. That's...
  3. does win 10 works on virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does win 10 works on virtual machines?: I bought a refurbished laptop that came with Win 10 Pro installed. The point is windows do not allow another SO close to him, making it disappear even from Bios and seems there is no way to circumvent it from repeating this behavior every time a Linux SO is installed. That's...
  4. does win 10 works on virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine: I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11...
  6. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine: I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11...
  7. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. win 10 to ssd for virtual machine/box

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    win 10 to ssd for virtual machine/box: I've watched a gazillion vids and tried 8(teen) ways to Sunday to create windows 10 on my new SSD to use on virtual machine/ box, whatever. I've downloaded and tried so many things I can't remember. After watching one vid telling me I needed to make my memory card a bootable...
  9. Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine: I'm up to 3 attempts at installing an XP machine on Hyper V (Windows 10 Pro), and though I can get the machine to run, I cannot find the browser I installed. Using the Hyper V tutorial, I followed carefully the points of unblocking both WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and Opera's...
  10. Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How do I set up a Virtual Machine in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-virtual-machine-in-windows-10/c3a94127-bdd5-46cd-b220-3e754f0e4bc9