Windows 10: Installing Win 10 Update 1803 creates fictitious "Unknown Device"

Discus and support Installing Win 10 Update 1803 creates fictitious "Unknown Device" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My (Dell XPS 8920) computer operated perfectly before installing Win 10 Home feature update 1803 but after installing it a fictitious (no physical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Orang, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Orang Win User

Installing Win 10 Update 1803 creates fictitious "Unknown Device"

My (Dell XPS 8920) computer operated perfectly before installing Win 10 Home feature update 1803 but after installing it a fictitious (no physical existence) Unknown Device appeared on the Device Manager list, located on the (single) USB 3.1 port which, as a result, becomes unusable.

Initially, update 1803 was installed automatically by Windows Update. But after the update I noticed that a (HP Laserjet 1018) printer connected to the USB 3.1 port no longer worked . Investigation revealed the appearance of this Unknown Device. I rolled back update 1803 to prior Windows version 1709 and the problem disappeared. My printer worked fine again. I then reinstalled update 1803 and voila, the Unknown Device reappeared and my printer no longer worked.

The Unknown Device is listed on Device Manager under a new heading “Other Devices”. It is located on USB 3.1 Port (ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller) which, according to the relevant entry in the USB section of the Device Manager, is “working properly”. So the problem appears to be not the USB 3.1 port itself, but the fictitious “Unknown Device” that Update 1803 thinks is connected to it. Device Status for the Unknown Device provides this not very useful information:

- The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    - There are no compatible drivers for this device.
    - To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Clicking Update Driver produces no result; nothing is updated.

In Details, The unknown device Value is USB\ASMEDIAROOT_HUB\5&1E39D504&0&0a and Hardware IDs are (also not very helpfully) as follows:

- USB\ASMEDIAROOT_Hub&VID1B21&PID1242&VER0001001600420001
    - USB\ASMEDIAROOT_Hub&VID1B21&PID1242
    - USB\ASMEDIAROOT_Hub

“Problem Code” (whatever that means) is 0000001C.

If I uninstall or remove the Unknown Device from Device Manager or Start/Settings/Devices/Bluetooth and other devices, things do not improve, as each time the machine is restarted the uninstalled/removed Unknown Device reappears and the port remains unusable.

Repeated attempts to install 1803, including use of Microsoft’s “Media Creation Tool 1803 as an alternative to Windows Update produced the same result, each time. Also the Unknown Device is clearly not a physical device and it is not a matter of installing a missing or outdated driver for a physical device connected to the computer, as it made no difference whether or not a physical device was connected to the USB 3.1 port at the time the 1803 reinstall was done. For the last attempt I disconnected all physical devices from the computer and still got the same result. All other USB ports (2.0 and 3.0) work fine.

I get the same problem whatever method is used to install 1803. Thinking it could be in some way due to a problem within the Windows Update process I reinstalled 1803 using Microsoft’s “Media Creation Tool 1803” but again got the same result.

Googling the problem and the arcane diagnostic messages mentioned above produced no helpful hints so eventually I called Dell support as the machine is still under warranty. After an unfruitful half hour involving firstly one agent who showed no interest and after a short while left the phone not to return, and a second agent who was more helpful, I learned that Dell General Support could not help because Dell XPS has its own separate department and support organization and he connected me to it. After a lengthy wait I was connected to an XPS department agent who ran a number of standard (Dell) diagnostic tools that I regularly run myself, with no result. After a half hour or so he left to consult with a colleague. When he returned he reinstalled/repaired several drivers already installed on the machine but with no positive result. Finally, after about an hour, he concluded that the problem is a hardware issue in the motherboard, which requires replacement. He ordered one and told me a technician would come to install it in the next day or so.

So it now remains to be seen whether a new motherboard will solve the problem. I have no technical expertise myself so must assume Dell technicians know whereof they speak. However in the back of my mind a sceptical thought remains. If the computer worked perfectly with update 1709 why/how would a software update create a hardware problem, that disappears when the software update is rolled back? Time will tell, but I am posting this story to see if any tech savvy folks out there have any other ideas, and maybe to save some time for anyone else who may have encountered a similar experience.

:)

Orang, Aug 15, 2018
  2. Orang Win User

Installing Win 10 Update 1803 creates fictitious “Unknown Device"

My (Dell XPS 8920) computer operated perfectly before installing Win 10 Home feature update 1803 but after installing it a fictitious (no physical existence) Unknown Device appeared on the Device Manager list, located on the (single) USB 3.1 port which, as a result, becomes unusable.

Initially, update 1803 was installed automatically by Windows Update. But after the update I noticed that a (HP Laserjet 1018) printer connected to the USB 3.1 port no longer worked . Investigation revealed the appearance of this Unknown Device. I rolled back update 1803 to prior Windows version 1709 and the problem disappeared. My printer worked fine again. I then reinstalled update 1803 and voila, the Unknown Device reappeared and my printer no longer worked.

The Unknown Device is listed on Device Manager under a new heading “Other Devices”. It is located on USB 3.1 Port (ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller) which, according to the relevant entry in the USB section of the Device Manager, is “working properly”. So the problem appears to be not the USB 3.1 port itself, but the fictitious “Unknown Device” that Update 1803 thinks is connected to it. Device Status for the Unknown Device provides this not very useful information:

- The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    - There are no compatible drivers for this device.
    - To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Clicking Update Driver produces no result; nothing is updated.

In Details, The unknown device Value is USB\ASMEDIAROOT_HUB\5&1E39D504&0&0a and Hardware IDs are (also not very helpfully) as follows:

- USB\ASMEDIAROOT_Hub&VID1B21&PID1242&VER0001001600420001
    - USB\ASMEDIAROOT_Hub&VID1B21&PID1242
    - USB\ASMEDIAROOT_Hub

“Problem Code” (whatever that means) is 0000001C.

If I uninstall or remove the Unknown Device from Device Manager or Start/Settings/Devices/Bluetooth and other devices, things do not improve, as each time the machine is restarted the uninstalled/removed Unknown Device reappears and the port remains unusable.

Repeated attempts to install 1803 produced the same result. Also the Unknown Device is clearly not a physical device and it is not a matter of installing a missing or outdated driver for a physical device connected to the computer, as it made no difference whether or not a physical device was connected to the USB 3.1 port at the time the 1803 reinstall was done. For the last attempt I disconnected all physical devices from the computer and still got the same result. All other USB ports (2.0 and 3.0) work fine.

I get the same problem whatever method is used to install 1803. Thinking it could be in some way due to a problem within the Windows Update process I reinstalled 1803 using Microsoft’s “Media Creation Tool 1803” but again got the same result.

Googling the problem and the arcane diagnostic messages mentioned above produced no helpful hints so eventually I called Dell support as the machine is still under warranty. After an unfruitful half hour involving firstly one agent who showed no interest and after a short while left the phone not to return, and a second agent who was more helpful, I learned that Dell General Support could not help because Dell XPS has its own separate department and support organization and he connected me to it. After a lengthy wait I was connected to an XPS department agent who ran a number of standard (Dell) diagnostic tools that I regularly run myself, with no result. After a half hour or so he left to consult with a colleague. When he returned he reinstalled/repaired several drivers already installed on the machine but with no positive result. Finally, after about an hour, he concluded that the problem is a hardware issue in the motherboard, which requires replacement. He ordered one and told me a technician would come to install it in the next day or so.

So it now remains to be seen whether a new motherboard will solve the problem. I have no technical expertise myself so must assume Dell technicians know whereof they speak. However in the back of my mind a sceptical thought remains. If the computer worked perfectly with update 1709 why/how would a software update create a hardware problem, that disappears when the software update is rolled back? Time will tell, but I am posting this story to see if any tech savvy folks out there have any other ideas, and maybe to save some time for anyone else who may have encountered a similar experience.

Orang, Sep 25, 2018
  3. X800 GTO2 = Unknown Device

I flashed the BIOS on my X800 GTO2 last night and it is listed in the Device Manager as an Unknown Device. Is this normal?

blsnelling, Sep 25, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Installing Win 10 Update 1803 creates fictitious “Unknown Device"

Access Denied
    - definitely rated as tested with 1803...
    (The link has been allocated a strange name but works for me- Dell site)

dalchina, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Win 10 Update 1803 creates fictitious "Unknown Device" - Similar Threads - Installing Update 1803

2. Win 10 1803 will not update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 1803 will not update: I have a win 10 installation that is version 1803I have tried for the last few weeks to update and it always fails I have followed advice on these forums and others with regards to ISO/MEDIA creation etc etc and it simply will not update. I do not want to clean install as I...
  3. Win 10 1803 to 1903 update

Win 10 1803 to 1903 update: My Desktop computer running Win 10 updated from version 1803 to 1903 a while back, but my Desktop running Win 10 version 1803 I'm assuming the update 1803 to 1903 has now resumed after the earlier problems caused a suspension? Any thoughts, suggestions?...
  4. ''install updates and shutdown" missing from win 10 1803

''install updates and shutdown" missing from win 10 1803: Hello , I want update pc from wsus. Updates download but not install. And cannot force install updates. Always user must press "install now". In windows 7 always display "install updates and shutdown" but not in Win 10. So win 10 they do not have this choice? ("install...
  5. Win 10 1803 to 1809 update

Win 10 1803 to 1809 update: Good day one and all. My Desktop computer running Win 10 updated from version 1803 to 1809 a while back, but my laptop/notebook running Win 10 version 1803 (As of a Check for updates today 15 Nov 2018 6:30 AM) still hasn't updated to 1809. I'm assuming the update 1803...
  6. Installing Win 10 Update 1803 creates fictitious "Unknown Device"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing Win 10 Update 1803 creates fictitious "Unknown Device": My (Dell XPS 8920) computer operated perfectly before installing Win 10 Home feature update 1803 but after installing it a fictitious (no physical existence) Unknown Device appeared on the Device Manager list, located on the (single) USB 3.1 port which, as a result, becomes...
  7. WIN 10 1803 Update

WIN 10 1803 Update: Keeps downloading, installing, reinstating, resetting to previous state. Error 0x8007042B-0x4000D "The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA OPERATION". The above error occurred after my last attempt to update from the 1709 update...
  8. Win 10 x64 1803 install fails at 83% - update install

Win 10 x64 1803 install fails at 83% - update install: Installing win 10 pro x64 using usb and mounted ISO. Both failed. It failed several times and the installer exits with a very uninformative window saying Windows 10 installation has failed. I was running Controlled Folder Access and the installer wanted to write to a...
  9. Unknown Device in Device Manager After 1803 Update

Unknown Device in Device Manager After 1803 Update: One of my laptops (Dell XPS 13 9350) now has an annoying Unknown Device error in device manager and I've done everything I can think of to find the now missing driver. Issue wasn't present prior to April Update. - Unknown device has Hardware ID of BTH\MS_BTHL2CAP....
  10. Unknown Device in Device Manager After 1803 Update

Unknown Device in Device Manager After 1803 Update: Please post an image of the hardware IDs displayed. And please post the hardware ID that you looked up in google.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb asmediaroot_hub 5&179d6893&0&0 2019