Windows 10: Installing Win10 from Install.esd to Install.wim after Conversion?

Discus and support Installing Win10 from Install.esd to Install.wim after Conversion? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Will converting to WIM cause issues with Windows 10 installation? Generally, which is better? ESD or WIM? Converting an ESD file to a WIM file will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Kyhi Win User

Installing Win10 from Install.esd to Install.wim after Conversion?

Converting an ESD file to a WIM file will not cause installations issues.. As both file formats are supported..

An ESD file is smaller due to compression, but would need to be un-compressed to make serviceable

A WIM file is slightly larger, but is serviceable with DISM to add System Drivers and other Program Packaging

So unless you create custom installations then the ESD file is fine..

Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018

2. I have a bootable Windows 10 flash drive that was created with the Media Creation Tool and inside the Sources folder, I have whats called the INSTALL.ESD. Can I convert that file to INSTALL.WIM or would this cause the installation of Windows 10 fail?

:)

win10freak, Apr 25, 2018
  3. Wheatena Win User
    Installing Windows 10 from an ISO image

The clean install has two options for installing from ISO files - Microsoft Tech Bench and
    Media Creation Tool. These two options rely on install.wim
    or install.esd. Please refer me to one place in the link you sent where it describes a means of installing from ISO files without having
    install.wim or install.esd. They weren't downloaded with the upgrade.

Wheatena, Apr 25, 2018
  4. AnmolRaj Win User

DISM issues

I have an 'install.esd' file in win10 media creation file. So may be it cause error as command line shows Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1
    /limitaccess

So how will i convert install.esd to install.win? or any other option available?

-THANKS

AnmolRaj, Apr 25, 2018
  5. zbook New Member
    It can be converted from ESD to WIM.
    How come you are considering the conversion?

If you get the Windows 10 iso from the Microsoft website it is in ESD (Electronic Software Download) file format.
    If you get the Windows 10 iso from other websites it is typically in the WIM (Windows IMaging)file format.

In case you need to convert a method is in this link:
    Convert an ESD File to a WIM File for Driver Updates in Your Windows...

In case you need to perform a Windows image DISM repair it can be done with either ESD or WIM:
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Windows 10 Tutorials

zbook, Apr 25, 2018
  6. Will converting to WIM cause issues with Windows 10 installation?
    Generally, which is better? ESD or WIM?

win10freak, Apr 25, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    zbook, Apr 25, 2018
  8. Installing Win10 from Install.esd to Install.wim after Conversion?

Will converting to WIM cause issues with Windows 10 installation?
    Generally, which is better? ESD or WIM?

win10freak, Apr 25, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    Having to convert one to the other is something I had not done and was not aware of the need.
    If there is any concern you can start with either format as both are free with free upgrades.

zbook, Apr 25, 2018
  10. The .ESD is smaller because of different compression algorithm used, while the .WIM is serviceable (you can add, remove and update components). Other than that, there's absolutely NO difference between the two when it comes to installing Windows.

Go here for more information and to learn the steps to take:
    Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

And go to part 5 of this tutorial to complete the conversion and make the final ISO:
    Create Windows 10 ISO image from Existing Installation Installation & Upgrade

slicendice, Apr 25, 2018
  11. cereberus Win User
    There is no need whatsoever to convert the file to .wim, unless you want to customise the iso (advanced users).

cereberus, Apr 25, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    *Ditto

I have never converted the .esd to .wim - never found a need to. The install and any repairs using Dism will work equally well with either.

Thema:

1. Installing Win10 from Install.esd to Install.wim after Conversion? - Similar Threads - Installing Win10 Install

2. Installed 21H1 but no ESD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed 21H1 but no ESD: Where does one find ESD when there is no esd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-21h1-but-no-esd/954c42f2-3103-42b7-ab15-82f910264e61
  3. Installing win10 from ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing win10 from ubuntu: Hi! I tried to reinstall my windows 10 from a bootable usb, but after an error on the installation, I can't boot anymore from the windows 10 installer. I tried recreating the usb from RUFUS and WINDOWS 10 MEDIA CREATION TOOL. Tried modiying bios secure boot, legacy mode, fast...
  4. recover installation key from nonfunctioning win10 installation

recover installation key from nonfunctioning win10 installation: I tried to move my copy of win10 from a tired/tiny ssd to a modern one today using cloning software. It went terribly, and now windows won't boot on any drive. I have a legit cd key that i'd like to keep using, but it's locked up inside a win10 installation that won't run....
  5. Installing Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Win10: Hello Microsoft community, I have a pr****ndows for my personal use, Linux for school, the pr****0 messed up with Register and have no back-up, I have already erased the disk partition as ntfs where my Windows was. S********crosoft website and burn it onto USB drive with...
  6. Installing Win10 from USB while Win10 already installed?

Installing Win10 from USB while Win10 already installed?: I reformatted my brand new laptop using an old version of Win10 I had on a USB. However after doing this I ran into an issue with Windows updates not working. After some searching I found that I needed a newer build of the Win10 bootable USB. I ran the Win10 installer from...
  7. .esd does work without .wim

.esd does work without .wim: Can use DISM for .ESD (windows is compressed) repair below without converting to .WIM: Run as admin & fix # of OS and letter of installation flash drive: ! Be sure to use the right Drive letter so likely replace the E. 1-insert OS flashdrive,2- copy 1st string to Word doc...
  8. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  9. Windows Installation Media - Nameless WIM

Windows Installation Media - Nameless WIM: A few months back, I created a Win10 Installation media. I used sysprep/DISM to capture it and, it has been working great. However, I'm testing an AutoUnattend.xml file with it today. Up 'til now, it's only been used for manual installations. When I use DISM to take a peek at...
  10. Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?

Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?: Hi guys, I'm trying to make a 10 Pro 10586 image with MDT 2013 Update 1 and I cannot use the ISO I got from the Media Creation Tool. I realized this is because the ISO now uses a install.esd instead of install.wim; I read that it is possible to extract the .wim from a ESD...