Windows 10: Installing Win10 to a new build PC using 'existing' Win10

Discus and support Installing Win10 to a new build PC using 'existing' Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. I've finally allowed my Win7 to be upgraded to Win10. I built my PC myself and may build another in the future which is why I've downloaded the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dortmunder, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Installing Win10 to a new build PC using 'existing' Win10

Hi. I've finally allowed my Win7 to be upgraded to Win10. I built my PC myself and may build another in the future which is why I've downloaded the Media Creation Tool. I was about to make a start when I got this message (see pic).

Can anyone tell me if I'll have problems installing Win10 to newly built PC? Or will my current Product ID work? Or will I need a new Product Key (are they easy to get)? Thank you.

:)

dortmunder, Mar 29, 2017
  2. BudYzer Win User

Win10 reinstall

Win10 reinstall:

My laptop requires a reinstall of Win10, but only DVD I have is Win8.1. I can not download Win10 to this laptop. If I purchase a new Win10 install DVD, can it be used to reinstall on this laptop using it's existing key and also be use on another PC to upgrade
    using the DVDs key?

BudYzer, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Can I reserve my Win10 copy on my laptop and use it to install it on another, newly built PC with no previous OS

I have windows 7 on my current laptop and I'll be building a new PC

Can I reserve a copy of Win10 from my PC, install the software on my USB and then use the USB to boot and install Win10 on the new PC.

My laptop came pre-installed with windows 7 home basic.

Also, what version of Win10 will I be installing (eg; 32 bit, 64 bit, OEM)

NeonCookie, Mar 29, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Installing Win10 to a new build PC using 'existing' Win10

You must have selected a different iso to your Windows 7 install. It has to match e.g. if you have Windows 7 SL, you need Windows 10 SL iso.

cereberus, Mar 29, 2017
  5. Thanks for that, cereberus. The only thing I changed was the language (I selected English-UK rather than the default English-US). Minor point, I suppose. So if I stick with the default options, will the USB/DVD that I create allow me to put Win10 on a new build PC as well as being able to clean-install my current PC?

dortmunder, Mar 29, 2017
  6. There will be a new Media Creation Tool released when the Creators Update is released. The tool you have now will only download the Anniversary Update. Just so you know.

You can use the same install media on more than one PC. Your just limited to the version(s) you downloaded the fist time you ran it. If you need a different version than what you already have you just run it again and change the drop downs to what you want. Each PC requires its own license. If the PC doesn't already have a Digital License you will have to enter a product code to activate it. The product code from another PC that already has a DL will not work. They are generic codes and only work if the PC already has a Digital License. And you can't use the same Retail or OEM code on more than one PC at any one time.

alphanumeric, Mar 29, 2017
  7. What that message is hinting at is. If your Digital License or Product Code (current install) is for Home, and you install Pro, it won't activate. And vice versa. Same thing will happen if its Home Single Language and you install Home. Language isn't an issue as far as I know. My Pro key is good for Pro. It can be 32 bit or 64 bit. English US or English UK. It's my choice as long as its Pro.

alphanumeric, Mar 29, 2017
  8. Installing Win10 to a new build PC using 'existing' Win10

Great stuff, thank you. I'll wait for the Creator...

dortmunder, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Installing Win10 to a new build PC using 'existing' Win10

1. Installing Win10 to a new build PC using 'existing' Win10 - Similar Threads - Installing Win10 build

2. BSOD during Win10 Install on new build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD during Win10 Install on new build: Hey there, I finished my new PC and am trying to use the media creation tool to install windows 10, however during the installation process usually early on after copying files I get a BSOD and my system restarts. I can get into the Bios and all my components are shown there....
  3. BSOD during Win10 Install on new build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD during Win10 Install on new build: Hey there, I finished my new PC and am trying to use the media creation tool to install windows 10, however during the installation process usually early on after copying files I get a BSOD and my system restarts. I can get into the Bios and all my components are shown there....
  4. BSOD during Win10 Install on new build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Transferring an existing Win10 to a FreeDOS pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring an existing Win10 to a FreeDOS pc: Hello, I recently bought a new FreeDOS pc and I want to transfer my license from my current pc to my new one. My current one had win7 and I upgraded it a few years ago to win10. I couldnt find any license key or something like that so I was wondering how I can transfer this...
  6. Installing upgraded WIn10 on new PC?

Installing upgraded WIn10 on new PC?: Im in the process of buying new components to build a new pc, its been at least 10 years since my last rebuild so out of the loop a little but wanted to know the process of installing WIN 10 on the new PC. My old pc had Win7 then the free upgrade came out and im now on...
  7. Win10 simplifier - a script for new and existing installations

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 simplifier - a script for new and existing installations: Hi all, this is something I've been using and working on for a few years now, predominantly for myself but it seems to be useful to others so I'm posting it here: GitHub - mattreecebentley/win10_simplifier: Windows 10 Simplifier - A script for automating simplifications and...
  8. Installing Win10 On a New Pc Problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 On a New Pc Problems: I have a brand new pc i’m trying to install windows on, by booting through a USB, i get all the way to installing windows, and about 30 seconds in, my pc restarts and starts at the beginning installing windows, i’ve tried a lot of thing. I can respond with my specs and...
  9. Existing OS win10 pc swap

Existing OS win10 pc swap: Hi, I had a laptop with win10 and a ssd in it but never used it. I put now the ssd into a new pc and it seems to work fine. Do I have to do a new installation of win 10 or can I use the old installation? thx...
  10. Can’t install win10 on new build

Can’t install win10 on new build: Hi all, i bought new components to upgrade my current rig. I can’t complete the Win10 setup. Please HELP! i have disconnected most peripheral components and running under this config: 700w PS, Corsair 1 SSD drive 512gig Samsung pro 1 WD drive 2TB; test HD in case SSD is...