Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives..

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello there, Hope everyone's doing just fine. So I have this Windows 7 PC with two drives, drive 0: SSD has current windows and drive 1: 1TB HDD for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tiger360x, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Tiger360x Win User

Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives..

Hello there,
    Hope everyone's doing just fine. So I have this Windows 7 PC with two drives, drive 0: SSD has current windows and drive 1: 1TB HDD for storage. I'm planning to do a clean install of windows 10 by formatting the ssd drive and installing windows there. Now my question is: do I have to format my hdd storage drive for a clean install? it contains general files, music, pictures, videos and a Steam folder of some games or will it cause issues with windows 10?, and what good can come from formatting it if there's any.
    Thanks in advance.*Smile

:)

Tiger360x, Dec 26, 2015
  2. ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 26, 2015
  3. Prs95 Win User
    Windows 10 startup problems

After downloading Windows 10 ISO file, I created a bootable USB Drive using 'Rufus' software. Then I installed Windows using that Bootable USB drive, but I had to format my Hard drive because C:/ drive was not accessible. Windows got activated from a digital
    key linked to my Microsoft Account. Thanks for helping me.

Prs95, Dec 26, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

No it is not necessary, in fact it should be disconnected for a clean install. Have only your SSD connected when you do the clean install, boot to the installer (USB/DVD) and when you get to 'where do you want to install Windows', use the advanced options to delete all partitions, then select the 'New Button' and click it. Windows will create the new partitions and format it for you.
    This will show you how. Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums . After the installation is complete, shut the computer down and reconnect your hard drive.

essenbe, Dec 26, 2015
  5. Tiger360x Win User
    Thanks for responding.
    That's good news I get to keep my data. How to disconnect it would you recommend? remove SATA or power? or both? till after installation.

Tiger360x, Dec 26, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would recommend removing only the SATA cable. While there is very little chance of shorting a power connector, it is a possibility unless you physically unplug the computer from all power sources and discharge any residual charge in the power supply.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives.. - Similar Threads - Installing bootable USB

2. Bootable USB format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootable USB format: Hello, 1. Is it possible to install windows 10 from an exFAT USB format? 2. Also will NTFS format works for windows installation? If it goes wrong or I can't install, how I format my USB during installation? Those things also make me worried. Greetings...
  3. Bootable USB format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootable USB format: Hello, 1. Is it possible to install windows 10 from an exFAT USB format? 2. Also will NTFS format works for windows installation? If it goes wrong or I can't install, how I format my USB during installation? Those things also make me worried. Greetings...
  4. Bootable USB format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Installing Windows from Bootable USB

Installing Windows from Bootable USB: My laptop Razerblade base model late 2019 had an issues as everytime I tried to bootup it would result in CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and so I cleaned and formatted my SSD and HDD through CMD and tried to reinstall Windows 10 however it came up with the error 0x800701B1 during the...
  6. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB bootable drive not installing windows 10: Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 with USB bootable onto new SSD.When the PC starts it loads to black screen with blinking cursor to the windows logo and runs an infinite loop back to the beginning of bios.I have tried the USB bootable with my SSD on another PC and...
  7. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

USB bootable drive not installing windows 10: Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 with USB bootable onto new SSD.When the PC starts it loads to black screen with blinking cursor to the windows logo and runs an infinite loop back to the beginning of bios.I have tried the USB bootable with my SSD on another PC and...
  8. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows 10 re-installation from bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 re-installation from bootable USB drive: Hi, I downloaded the Windows 10 installation media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10%20 to my formatted USB drive. I then followed the setup instructions to download Win 10 installation media on the USB drive. It took me~6 hrs for the whole...
  10. Completely format bootable USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Completely format bootable USB flash drive: Hi How to completely format a bootable USB flash drive because I found there's a partition on the flash drive named "UEFI_NTFS" (EFI > Boot & Rufus folders with .efi files inside) that cannot be formatted. My other bootable USB with MBR partition can be fully formatted. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wont let me format devices as bootable

2. install windows 10 from iso file of bootable usb by formatting pc partitions?