Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives..

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello there, Hope everyone's doing just fine. So I have this Windows 7 PC with two drives, drive 0: SSD has current windows and drive 1: 1TB HDD for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tiger360x, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Tiger360x Win User

Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives..

Hello there,
    Hope everyone's doing just fine. So I have this Windows 7 PC with two drives, drive 0: SSD has current windows and drive 1: 1TB HDD for storage. I'm planning to do a clean install of windows 10 by formatting the ssd drive and installing windows there. Now my question is: do I have to format my hdd storage drive for a clean install? it contains general files, music, pictures, videos and a Steam folder of some games or will it cause issues with windows 10?, and what good can come from formatting it if there's any.
    Thanks in advance.*Smile

:)

Tiger360x, Dec 26, 2015
  2. ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 26, 2015
  3. Prs95 Win User
    Windows 10 startup problems

After downloading Windows 10 ISO file, I created a bootable USB Drive using 'Rufus' software. Then I installed Windows using that Bootable USB drive, but I had to format my Hard drive because C:/ drive was not accessible. Windows got activated from a digital
    key linked to my Microsoft Account. Thanks for helping me.

Prs95, Dec 26, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

No it is not necessary, in fact it should be disconnected for a clean install. Have only your SSD connected when you do the clean install, boot to the installer (USB/DVD) and when you get to 'where do you want to install Windows', use the advanced options to delete all partitions, then select the 'New Button' and click it. Windows will create the new partitions and format it for you.
    This will show you how. Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums . After the installation is complete, shut the computer down and reconnect your hard drive.

essenbe, Dec 26, 2015
  5. Tiger360x Win User
    Thanks for responding.
    That's good news I get to keep my data. How to disconnect it would you recommend? remove SATA or power? or both? till after installation.

Tiger360x, Dec 26, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would recommend removing only the SATA cable. While there is very little chance of shorting a power connector, it is a possibility unless you physically unplug the computer from all power sources and discharge any residual charge in the power supply.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives.. - Similar Threads - Installing bootable USB

2. Recover Windows 10 key from bootable USB without installing windows from it

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recover Windows 10 key from bootable USB without installing windows from it: Hi, So my pc died a few days ago and I plan to buy a new one. It will be a dell tower with Windows 10 home pre-installed. I want to upgrade the license to Windows 10 Pro which I had on my now dead computer. I had made a bootable USB drive from my old pc. Is there any way...
  3. Clean installation of windows 10 - Can a hard drive infect the bootable usb?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean installation of windows 10 - Can a hard drive infect the bootable usb?: Hello everyone, I will be installing a clean installation of windows 10 for the first time on one of my computers. From looking at online tutorials/articles its been said to help eradicate malware and allows a clean copy of windows 10 to be installed. After playing around...
  4. Formating USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating USB drive: How can I format a USB memory to 2048 Byte size. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formating-usb-drive/cb81e9aa-877a-4513-a175-81afae642744
  5. Created bootable USB-can’t install /format destination disk

Created bootable USB-can’t install /format destination disk: Trying to install a fresh copy of 10 on a hard drive via bootable USB. Everything is fine until I get to pick the destination disc. It won’t let me install over old installation/partition but also won’t let me format the disk. No idea what I am doing wrong 116243
  6. Recovery USB drive vs. Windows 10 bootable USB ?

Recovery USB drive vs. Windows 10 bootable USB ?: 1 . In Windows 10, one can create a Recovery Drive on a USB flash drive . 2 .Using Rufus after downloading Windows 10 installation ISO file from microsoft, I can make a bootable USB windows installation that can help me repair my existing windows installation or let me...
  7. Bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Bootable USB drive: Hi I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever goes wrong.... plus they gave me a 20% discount code so that is good *Smile Just a couple of questions.... 1. I want...
  8. Impossible to clean install win 10 from usb or Iso on formatted drive

Impossible to clean install win 10 from usb or Iso on formatted drive: Hello tenforums *Wink Im new on the forum, al though i have been reading articles or forum topics here a couple of time. Now, reading is not enough, and i would apreciate some help or suggestions about issues Im having with win 10 on my acer aspire laptop. over the past...
  9. Format drive before creating a bootable USB flash drive?

Format drive before creating a bootable USB flash drive?: Hi, If your USB flash drive has data on it or maybe an earlier version of the Windows 10 installation media for example. Do you have to format the USB flash drive manually in windows (right click and format) before using the Windows Media Creation Tool to create the Windows...
  10. Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10: Clear clean and easy to understand, thank you Shawn great tutorial, making my USB flash drive shortly *Thumbs 2376

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install windows 10 from iso file of bootable usb by formatting pc partitions?