Windows 10: Installing windows 10 from a windows 7 home premium

Discus and support Installing windows 10 from a windows 7 home premium in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good day. A while ago I decided to upgrade my W7 to the new W10. I downloaded the windows 10 iso and burnt it to a dvd,On the day of decision to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by menu, Sep 19, 2015.

1. menu Win User

Installing windows 10 from a windows 7 home premium

Good day.
    A while ago I decided to upgrade my W7 to the new W10.
    I downloaded the windows 10 iso and burnt it to a dvd,On the day of decision to change to W10 I placed the dvd into the drive and away it went.
    All went okay after a while I had windows 10 running okay,Now after a while I decided to follow the link from here on removing windows old.

Did that okay.

As time went on I had an issue with one program,Went into the C drive and noticed that there was still some items there noted under windows 7,Thought that all of windows 7 had been deleted by the windows old removal method.

So been thinking about this prob,If I decided to reinstall windows 10 again would it be the best option to wipe the C drive of all windows 7,Or is there a method while installing windows ten to remove all items from the C drive.*cry

On my C drive the only items that are on that drive is the operating system and programs etc.All my documents,Pictures,and so on are on a second internal HDD named F.

What would be the best option to delete all of windows 7 items.Please.*Confused

Windows 7 here...

Many Thanks.

:)

2. Error: "Unable to install Windows 10 - unknown error: 0xC1900101-0x30018" while trying to upgrade to Windows 10

Having now tried 3 times to download and install the free upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium I get the message 'Unable to install Windows 10 - unknown error C1900101-30018'. I can't find a resolution to this problem - any ideas?.

Original title: Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium

BrianClarkXC, Sep 19, 2015
  3. Robin_246 Win User
    When I get Win10 Home , can I upgrade it to Pro ?

I already have windows 7 home premium , so when I get windows 10 it will be Windows 10 home

After installing windows 10 home can I upgrade it to Pro ? or shall I upgrade my Win 7 home premium to Windows 7 professional first ?

Robin_246, Sep 19, 2015
  4. Installing windows 10 from a windows 7 home premium

Hi Dafydd from your screenshot and your explanation, it doesn't appear to me that you have any remnants of Windows 7 on your system.

You have a user on your system named Windows 7, but you're running Windows 10.

If you want to change the user name from "Windows 7" to something else, the best thing to do would be to create a new user account apparently.

See here:
    Rename user folder? - Windows 10 Forums

But rest assured, based on the info you have provided here you do NOT have anything from Windows 7 on your computer. As I said before, your user account name is "Windows 7". Just a name. Nothing to do with the operating system you're currently running.

Given that you have already upgraded to Win 10, you can always do a clean install, and ask the installer to format the partition you intend to install to. That will wipe everything that was there before and you can even choose a new username that is not "Windows 7".

See Tutorial here:
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck.

PlatypusKnight, Sep 19, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    The answer of PlatypusKnight seems correct to me.

If you do not want to create a new user account or if you do not want to reinstall the system, you can clean up the folder of the "Windows 7" user like so:
    - Make sure that Windows Explorer does no longer show you hidden files. That will make the AppData folder disappear.
    - You can hide the .oracle_jre_usage folder; this folder will then no longer show up as well.
    - Finally, for the folder called Documents, it depends on what it is: There is a shortcut called "Documents", which you see, when you open your user folder by clicking on the username "Windows 7" on your Desktop. This shortcut has properties and in there you can define the path, at which you actually have your Documents. If this path is not that Documents folder inside your user folder, then you can move all files from that Documents folder to the path, which you have specified. Afterwards you then can delete the now empty Documents folder.

Joergi, Sep 19, 2015
  6. menu Win User
    Well thanks all for your help.
    Looking at your answers I don't think there is any cause for an alarm,No danger best left alone then.
    Am I correct in thinking so?

Maybe you can answer another point for me if you would be so kind.
    My documents photos etc are all on an internal second HDD named F.
    Now upon installing W10 when I select the documents in the start it automatically looks for documents in the C HDD but they aint there are they.
    They are in the documents folder in the F HDD.
    Now I have asked this question on here not long ago and the answer I had was a good one but it didn't work.

When I right clicked on the documents folder in the C drive and selected properties then selected find target,Upon selecting that option there was no option to find the docs on the F drive it wasn't showing up.
    The way I got it working now is that I have a shortcut icon on my desktop for documents and another for pictures and so on.I would like to be able to access those from the start .
    In windows 7 it worked okay.
    Any further help on this PLEASE.I would be very grateful for help on solving this issue.*really

Many Much Thank You.

7. Joergi Win User
    Right. You have a working system with a user called "Windows 7". You can try the things named above, e.g. start using a new user account or even reinstall the system. Windows does not have an option to change the name of the user folder as far as I know. However, what you have is no bug.

You are looking inside the right dialogue. It should also have a "Move..." button. Maybe try that one...
    A guide is here:
    Site
    under the headline "How to Change the Location of Documents, Downloads, Music and Other User Folders".

Joergi, Sep 19, 2015
  8. menu Win User

blutos cousin.
    Hi thanks for that piece of info.
    I tried to copy and paste into the search in taskbar and got nothing.Sorry would there be a spelling mistake maybe?

Thank You.

9. menu Win User
    Hya.
    Thank You once again,Maybe I didn't explain myself in my earlier post.All my documents are on the F drive,I want to keep the C Drive just for the operating system and programs only.
    Tried your method but it put the whole folder of pictures on the C drive.
    I want to keep all photos documents all on the F drive,There was problem with windows 7.But there goes cant win them all I suppose,Will have to just access the folders from the short cut on the desktop.
    Many Thank You's.*Smile

10. EDIT earlier posts deleted this works fine :

I get that ( system drive and storage drive ) just move a shortcut ICON to the target folder below *not a file folder or x86 application folder *

( i.e. when you drag /copy the shortcut ICON into the correect folder below it copys it to the target start menu program folder and puts it on your start menu all apps list ,from there you can pin it to the start tiles and or taskbar, also you can also drag tiles and start menu icons to the desktop from the start menu .

Note : each user acct may have its own start menu additions depending see below .

How to Open the Start Menu Folder in Windows 7 or 10

Easy way :

Just right-click on the “All Programs” button on the start menu, and choose Open to head to your personal user-specific start menu folder, or “Open All Users” to open up the system-wide Start Menu folder. -How to Geeks-

Easier Geeky way :

Type or copy paste this into search for your specific UA then open the program folder in the right pane and drag your shortcut icon into *that folder* :

%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

-How to Geek-

Easier Geeky way all users :

Type or copy paste this into search then open the program folder in the right pane and drag your shortcut icon into *that folder* :

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

-How to Geek-

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6463/...-in-windows-7/

blutos cousin, Sep 20, 2015
  11. Joergi Win User
    The shortcut in the start menu as well as the shortcut in the user folder both point to the same path. This is exactly that path, which you defined in the properties. The location of this path can also be on another drive; I for example have my documents on the D:\ drive - that is not a problem. The files are there and the shortcuts are working as well.

Joergi, Sep 20, 2015
  12. Right I haver an 100GB Win 10 Insider test build dual boot partition and Windows 10 RTM on the same NTFS drive .
    ofc. as far as windowes is concerned it's like two hdd's

I use the ~ 850GB Win 10 RTM partition mostlly as a storage drive . I like the latest test builds better than RTM for the daily driver for now .

I also have Win 10 RTM on 2 other PC's here one is an i7 HP 8470P Elite Book and a Dell Optiplex 780 Core Duo .
    The i7 HP P7 is still on Win 7 x64 I might upgrade it soon also.

This one is an 2010 HP 5302f slimline I bought new then with an AMD Phenom II x4 945 and upgraded hdd,sound and video and 8 GB ram it works fine for daily driver it's about even with an Intel Sandy bridge i3 but with 4 cores so it can multi task decently (for what it is) and it supports the new 27" QHD monitor and 40" 1080p Sony TV in here fine it can do the 2 screen boogie just fine but it's not a game box by any stretch of the imagination .

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview advanced test Build 10547

blutos cousin, Sep 20, 2015
  13. Installing windows 10 from a windows 7 home premium

Did you get this sorted @dafydd ?

PlatypusKnight, Sep 20, 2015
  14. menu Win User
    Not really it got a bit confusing a little beyond my pc knowledge.
    I must thank you all for all the assistance that you provided.
    Will have another dig at it later on in the week maybe my head will be a little clearer then.*Cool

15. Ok.

Whenever you're ready.

Just to clarify though. You have your documents folder on another drive, and you want Windows 10 to go to that folder when you click documents correct?

Because that's how I have my system set up and it was very simple to do.

PlatypusKnight, Sep 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Installing windows 10 from a windows 7 home premium - Similar Threads - Installing home premium

2. Windows 7 Home Premium

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Home Premium: I have a license for Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I install it now and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-home-premium/c0fb9515-29cd-4baa-beba-cf1f6047ec61
  3. Windows 7 Home Premium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Home Premium: I have a license for Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I install it now and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-home-premium/c0fb9515-29cd-4baa-beba-cf1f6047ec61
  4. Windows 7 Home premium installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Home premium installation: Hello,Could you please share the link to the Windows 7 Home premium installation? I'm trying to reset Dad's old notebook which has a Windows 7 license.Thanks,Milosh...
  5. Windows 7 Home premium installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Home premium installation: Hello,Could you please share the link to the Windows 7 Home premium installation? I'm trying to reset Dad's old notebook which has a Windows 7 license.Thanks,Milosh...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home Premium

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home Premium: I informed my son today that he may no longer access my home network with the gaming computer he built seven years ago when he was 15 since it is still running Windows 7 Home Premium, Ver. 6.1, Build 7601, SP1. Over the years, he has made numerous hardware upgrades, but...
  7. Unable to upgrade to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7 Home Premium

Unable to upgrade to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7 Home Premium: I asked this question earlier - August 20 or so, and received a detailed reply. However, I was unable to access my computer until now to read it. I have gone through many, many pages of prior postings but have been unable to find that solution . So I'm posting the problem...
  8. Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home premium

Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home premium: Hi there! Im am having a Windows 7 Home Premium samsung laptop and want to do an upgrade to Windows 10. I did an clean installation on Microsoft website via Media Creation Tool. But then I get this result: Will I still be able to have an upgrade or I will need to...
  9. Upgrade windows 10 from windows 7 home premium

Upgrade windows 10 from windows 7 home premium: Hi Team, I have missed the free upgrade to windows 10 last year, however i would like to upgrade my laptop from windows 7 to 10 now. I have alredy running Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium on my Sony Vaio Laptop.... Can I upgrade to Windows 10 again for free? If so, how can...
  10. Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home: I have a MacBook Pro, and i originally partitioned the hard drive to 350 Mac & 150 Win 7. Not long ago i received a free upgrade to Win 10 Home, and after using it for a few months, i really liked it and decided to re-partition my hard drive to 250 Mac & 250 Win 10. After...