Windows 10: Installing windows 10 in a VM - strange account issue (not a problem).

Discus and support Installing windows 10 in a VM - strange account issue (not a problem). in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Today, I decided to clean install windows 10 version 10586 in a virtual machine (using vmware player), so I could use it to test Insider versions (I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cereberus, Jan 13, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Installing windows 10 in a VM - strange account issue (not a problem).

Today, I decided to clean install windows 10 version 10586 in a virtual machine (using vmware player), so I could use it to test Insider versions (I had a spare 8.1 retail licence to activate it).

It all installed fine, but the really strange thing is I did not enter ANY account information ie MS account or any local account information, but it set up an identical local account to the account I use as my main account on the PC, even without any password.

I cannot for the life of me see how this or why this happened.

It is as if vmware player picked up data from my main OS, and used it automatically?

:)

cereberus, Jan 13, 2016

2. Why is System Restore disabled after Anniversary Update?

I was troubleshooting a problem with a laptop updated to 1607 and ran into the same issue. System Restore had been disabled.

I just checked my freshly installed (not upgraded) Win 10 1607 VM and system restore was disabled on it too. Very strange.

Anyone else?

JoePochedley00, Jan 13, 2016
  3. neilpzz Win User
    installing windows 10 on a VM

You should be able to do this without a problem. Starting with Windows 8.1 on the VM. Then use the media created using the Media Creation tool. When asked for a key you select Skip or Do this later. This is how the original upgrade works. You must run the
    media from within Windows 8.1.

After the Nov update you can use the new image to carry out a clean install and use your Windows 8 key when asked for a key. Using this method you must make sure your media is the correct version, Home or Pro, 32 or 64bit.

neilpzz, Jan 13, 2016
Thema:

Installing windows 10 in a VM - strange account issue (not a problem).

1. Installing windows 10 in a VM - strange account issue (not a problem). - Similar Threads - Installing strange account

2. Strange problem in windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange problem in windows 10: For some reason, when I click on something that brings up multiple options like if I right-click on something in my taskbar, an option will appear selected as you can see in the attached picture, store is selected. The selection will then move downwards as if I was pressing...
  3. I have a strange Problem on a clean Windows 10 Installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have a strange Problem on a clean Windows 10 Installation: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/dasNyal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lo90oj/i_have_a_strange_problem_on_a_clean_windows_10/
  4. Strange problem during Windows 10 installation

Strange problem during Windows 10 installation: I just made a fresh install of Windows 10 on my friend's laptop, everything was ok till the last step before finish. I come to the step when I choose location, language, I set the username, I skip password, I set the default config for different steps (Cortana etc..) and...
  5. Strange Windows 10 issue

Strange Windows 10 issue: My wife's computer is running Windows 10 2004, and the updates are current as of tonight. Suddenly, when you click things on the Windows desktop, they do not respond. For example if I right click on her desktop, nothing happens. If I click on the Windows start button, I...
  6. Strange install Problem

Strange install Problem: I have a really strange problem. I want to install games from Game Pass. I say he should install on D because that's my game hard drive. When he starts to install, however, he always does it on C. No matter whether I said specifically that he wants to install on D. And yes, I...
  7. Strange windows 10 issues.

Strange windows 10 issues.: Everytime I try to do video streaming via crunchyroll there are some strange times that the video player will stop loading entirely. At first I thought it was the app entirely, but then after I close it, None of my apps will open, can't shut down/restart and only way I can is...
  8. VM Issues

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM Issues: Hello looks like i have an issue with all my Vms, i have not changed anything , but today when i tried to launch then i go this error. i have been updating win 10 from the beginning and never had a issues , I would hate to have to rebuild them all, i cant even go back to a...
  9. VM issues

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM issues: Hello My question is a general one but I am curious as to how many people have VM's. I ask because I know you can test programs in it and run a more secure OS. I know it takes practice to become proficient with most everything but I have used Oracle's Virtual Box abut...
  10. Windows 10 clean install, lots of strange issues.

Windows 10 clean install, lots of strange issues.: So having run Preview since October last year, and no issues at all almost from the Windows 8 upgrade. I come to see fairly many issues on my Clean install. Used MS site for downloading the Windows 10, and created the ISO and moved it to USB with Rufus (UEFI mode). 1)...