Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 on a new computer?

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 on a new computer? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am changing my computer in the next few days and want to install Windows 10 on it. I am currently running W10 on my existing computer upgraded from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by imacken, Oct 31, 2015.

1. imacken Win User

Installing Windows 10 on a new computer?

I am changing my computer in the next few days and want to install Windows 10 on it. I am currently running W10 on my existing computer upgraded from one of my Windows 7 Retail keys. That installation will be removed.
    My question is, will W10 upgrade work again with my current W7 retail key or are even the retail keys locked into hardware? Or, can I use one of the other W7 retail keys I have and get W10 from it?
    I would rather use my existing key if possible.
    Another question, I have the W10 media files on an external USB drive. If I install W10 from it, at what point does it ask for a W7/8 product key? Or does it?
    Thanks.

:)

imacken, Oct 31, 2015
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Installing Windows 10 on a new HDD

Yes, the installer usb drive will make the proper partitions and formats and install into raw space fine. Select custom install and let it do it all automatically. You may want to look into device manager after you get to the desktop and need to install
    some drivers still though.

Make sure you select the proper version of windows & skip typing in any windows keys, it should activate once online within a day or two if not sooner/instantly.

'Mike P, Oct 31, 2015
  3. Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your query, I would like to inform you that; you can install windows 10 on your new SSD, trough clean installation.

Refer to the below link to download media creation tool for Windows 10.

Download Windows 10

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Oct 31, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

The same key will work. If you install and activate 7, click on setup.exe while signed in to Windows 7 to upgrade - it will not ask you for a key.

5. imacken Win User
    Thanks a lot for that.
    So, I will have to install and validate W7 and then run the W10 setup.exe from the USB drive? Is there no way of skipping the W7 step and just inputting the W7 key during the W10 install process?

imacken, Oct 31, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    not yet, no although it is expected in th2 release rumored to be early this month. You could install preview build 10565 or later and install it with your key though.

For now to activate 10 (non preview) you need to install 7, activate and then either upgrade or generate a GenuineTicket.xml file and then Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Either way at the moment you need an activated Windows 7 to get an activated non-preview 10 on a new PC.

7. davidhk Win User
    Your question is on "installing Win 10 on a new computer".
    What Windows version is the new computer running ?
    If it is a genuine copy of Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1, it will have its own product key.
    You can use the media file you have, plug in the USB, Right click at it, click Mount, click Setup.exe.
    It will ask you for a product key. MS said you will enter your key right then and there and continue. I never use that method myself.
    My suggestion will be to select SKIP option and continue. I did use that method and it worked.
    The choice is yours.
    If you choose my suggestion, after the installation, go to Settings, click Update & Security, click Activation, click Change product key, and enter your new computer's product key.

davidhk, Oct 31, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

Upgrade shouldn't ask for key - it should upgrade without asking if you are using the correct installation media. You would skip the product key on a clean install of an already licensed PC.

You can't enter a 7 or 8 key here at present - only in recent preview builds.

9. davidhk Win User
    Thank you.
    I stand corrected.
    I have the Upgrade Install and Clean Install mixed up. Just got up when I posted the reply.
    My apology.

davidhk, Oct 31, 2015
  10. imacken Win User
    Thanks so much for your help guys. I probably am not making myself very clear. This install will be on a new computer with no Windows install. I would be installing clean from my W7 retail key and upgrade to W10, but am wondering if there was a way to skip the whole W7 bit which seems kind of unnecessary, mainly as it seems to go through a zillion time consuming updates before it ever reaches the W10 update!

imacken, Oct 31, 2015
  11. davidhk Win User
    I don't think you have a choice.
    I had the same scenario on one of my computers.
    The computer started with a Win 7 pre-installed and then I upgraded it to Win 10. One day I messed it up bad because I made a mistake on installing Linux Mint with a dual boot setup. Stupid mistake and my Win 10 partition was all messed up.
    So, I have to start fresh. Reinstall Win 7 with the Factory Default disks, installed the updates, updated to IE9 then 10, then installed SP1. It took major portion of one day.
    I then use the Media Creation Tool, downloaded the ISO and did an Upgrade Install....... Mount the ISO.... select Setup.exe.
    I did not keep anything because there really wasn't anything to keep after a reinstall of Win 7.
    Installation was time consuming but without issues.
    Activation was automatic.

davidhk, Oct 31, 2015
  12. imacken Win User
    Thanks, that was what I was afraid of! It seems to take a whole day to do the standard W7 install, zillion updates, SP1, more updates, IE updates and then it gets round to the W10 update and we start again!
    Dont see why it's necessary.

imacken, Oct 31, 2015
  13. davidhk Win User

If finance is not an issue, here is a painful alternative....... go buy a genuine license Win 10 software.
    Use it to install in the new computer.

davidhk, Oct 31, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    Hopefully someone will confirm but I don't think you need to install any upgrade patches on 7 - just have it genuinely activated.

15. imacken Win User
    Interesting, the 3 times I've installed W10 previously, the W10 update didn't show in Windows Update till everything else was up to date in W7!

imacken, Oct 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Installing Windows 10 on a new computer? - Similar Threads - Installing computer

2. My computer will not allow "the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter" to open or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer will not allow "the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter" to open or...: I am trying to use "The Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter". found here Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed - Microsoft Support When I try to download or open I get this error message: How do I get past this so I can use the...
  3. My computer will not allow "the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter" to open or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer will not allow "the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter" to open or...: I am trying to use "The Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter". found here Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed - Microsoft Support When I try to download or open I get this error message: How do I get past this so I can use the...
  4. My computer will not allow "the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter" to open or...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 install fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 install fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing.": Hi, I am trying to install windows 11 in my new pc but it fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver, If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it please insert it now" I have downloaded windows...
  6. Windows 11 install fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing."

Windows 11 install fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing.": Hi, I am trying to install windows 11 in my new pc but it fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver, If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it please insert it now" I have downloaded windows...
  7. Whatever update installed today keeps bricking my computer.

Whatever update installed today keeps bricking my computer.: I restarted today 3/14/24 to install a Cumulative Update for Windows 11 that it said was ready to install. After a supposedly successful restart, no programs or Windows functions would run. I could open the system tray, but nothing would launch and several icons were missing,...
  8. Whatever update installed today keeps bricking my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whatever update installed today keeps bricking my computer.: I restarted today 3/14/24 to install a Cumulative Update for Windows 11 that it said was ready to install. After a supposedly successful restart, no programs or Windows functions would run. I could open the system tray, but nothing would launch and several icons were missing,...
  9. Dell computers: will a Clean-Install of Windows 11 effect the "BIOS Recovery Tool"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell computers: will a Clean-Install of Windows 11 effect the "BIOS Recovery Tool"?: I'm about to Clean-Install Windows 11 onto my laptop. I'd like to know whether this will effect the BIOS Recovery Tool currently installed on my laptop—mine uses the "BIOS Recovery 3" version in that link there. I actually just spoke with Dell about this over the phone and...
  10. Dell computers: will a Clean-Install of Windows 11 effect the "BIOS Recovery Tool"?

Dell computers: will a Clean-Install of Windows 11 effect the "BIOS Recovery Tool"?: I'm about to Clean-Install Windows 11 onto my laptop. I'd like to know whether this will effect the BIOS Recovery Tool currently installed on my laptop—mine uses the "BIOS Recovery 3" version in that link there. I actually just spoke with Dell about this over the phone and...