Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 10 (because I took advantage of the free upgrade offer last year), but have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Foebane72, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Foebane72 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

I have recently upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 10 (because I took advantage of the free upgrade offer last year), but have created an ISO file for a full install as I want to fully install Windows 10 by itself.

My plan is, if the install works and my free upgrade is recognised, then I would like to replace my main HDD with an SSD and install Windows 10 on that as well, with the HDD out of the computer. Will Microsoft let me install Windows 10 on two drives, one after the other, on the same desktop PC? Will auto-registration be a problem?

:)

Foebane72, Nov 2, 2017

2. Installing multiple windows 10 on same computer.

I have a laptop with an SSD and HDD. I installed windows 10 anniversary update on the SSD and using the HDD for other files. Now, I want to install another copy of windows 10 (anniversary update OR November update) along with the already installed windows

I would like to know is it possible?

IF YES, then can I install the second windows on HDD instead of SSD, or do both the OS's need to be on the same physical drive.?

harshatech, Nov 2, 2017
  3. Ampdesign Win User
    Reinstall Windows 10 on SSD

I recently finished a new build and inadvertently installed Windows 10 to the HDD drive and not the SSD. What's the simplest way to reformat the HDD and reinstall on the SSD?

Ampdesign, Nov 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You can change and replace drives and shouldn't have to worry.

Best to clean install on a SSD so you use AHCI (faster performance than IDE protocol)

Even if you clone to a SSD, you can change.. there's a tutorial available, as there are for obtaining an iso and doing a clean install.

dalchina, Nov 2, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Skip the HDD step. Go directly to SSD. Win 10 will install and activate on the SSD with no problems.

Ztruker, Nov 3, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Ya, no need for the hard drive, use it for storage.

Disconnect any and all other drives when installing W10.

AddRAM, Nov 3, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    Do you want a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD or to preserve your currently configured Windows 10 installation?

If a clean install, then just install directly on the SSD and Windows should activate.

If you want to preserve your settings then create an image of all OS partitions using Macrium Reflect Free and save that image to an external hard drive. Then create a Macrium Reflect USB drive, install the SSD, disconnect the HDD, boot the Reflect USB drive and recover the image to the new SSD. You can then reconnect the old hard drive when you have checked the PC and use that drive for storage.

Steve C, Nov 3, 2017
  8. Foebane72 Win User

Yeah, I've decided to wait until I can purchase the Samsung 850 EVO (which is unbelievably great according to Amazon) and install it and Windows 10 on my PC next week.

Who here has the 850 EVO 250Gb? Is it really that great, and do I need the driver DVD for it or do I just put it into the PC and boot with my Win10 DVD?

Foebane72, Nov 3, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    Just make sure that SATA is set to AHCI mode in BIOS before you install windows on it.

CountMike, Nov 3, 2017
  10. Foebane72 Win User
    Don't I also need the AHCI driver after installation of Windows? Or does Win10 already have it? It seems my mobo manufacturer provides a driver, but I would really prefer Windows to have all the drivers I need.

Foebane72, Nov 3, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    Windows 7 (Sp1 and later) and 10 have an AHCI driver although you may want to update it later on if it's some older MB.

CountMike, Nov 3, 2017
  12. Hi,
    The evo line is good but the pro line is a lot better and worth the little extra it costs which now that the 950 and 960 line is out the 850 pro's are even better priced *Smile

ThrashZone, Nov 3, 2017
  13. AddRAM Win User

I have both and they both work great, but I`d get the 850 Pro for a few dollars more.

AddRAM, Nov 4, 2017
  14. Foebane72 Win User
    I have a limited budget, I'm in the UK, and the Pro is too much.

Foebane72, Nov 4, 2017
  15. Foebane72 Win User
    How does one install an SSD anyway? I've ordered the 2.5" to 3.5" bracket and I see four screw holes in the base of it - do I screw in the SSD from underneath there? I suppose I do. But I'm bothered by the fact that I have to open both sides of my PC case in order to screw in the bracket into a 3.5" bay, and on one side the screws are recessed and hard to get to. Can't I just screw the bracket in on one side? It's in contact with the metal of the bays, it's secured, It's not going to wobble much and I won't have to turn my PC case face down so the Nvidia card is hanging down just so I can get to those darned screws. Can I do that?

Foebane72, Nov 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD - Similar Threads - Installing HDD SSD

2. HDd to SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDd to SSD Windows 10: My laptop hdd is slow so I’m considering replacing it, perhaps with an SSD. How do I copy windows 10 over? I don’t want to copy any of the laptop manufacturer’s software apart from hardware drivers. The Windows 10 is an upgrade. Would it be easier to just go for a new Windows...
  3. HDd to SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDd to SSD Windows 10: My laptop hdd is slow so I’m considering replacing it, perhaps with an SSD. How do I copy windows 10 over? I don’t want to copy any of the laptop manufacturer’s software apart from hardware drivers. The Windows 10 is an upgrade. Would it be easier to just go for a new Windows...
  4. HDd to SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows: I have a laptop with SSD and HDD in it. My drivers look like this[ATTACH] how Can i know weather windows is installed in SSD or HDD ? I am also using Intel Optane Memory which looks like this [ATTACH] As you can see i have one SSD and one HDD how can know where is...
  6. Windows 10 on SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 on SSD and HDD: Hello everyone. Can some one explain me why Windows 10 on SSD is sluggish than a Windows 10 on HDD? Same software - from clean install, on same laptop and still Windows 10 on SSD is slower than Windows 10 on its original HDD. Thanks! submitted by /u/Erick_Planure [link]...
  7. Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...

Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...: I assume it has something to do with a partition on the HDD. Disk Manager does not allow me to delete 2 relatively small partitions, including one labeled "Recovery" and one labeled "EFI System Partition." I assume W10 is detecting the recovery partition and is giving me the...
  8. Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks

Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks: I'm confused with all this partitions and i want to know how to delete all partitions if i have an ssd and hdd submitted by /u/thanos997 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i8wgs4/installation_of_windows_10_with_ssd_and_hdd_disks/
  9. HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD

HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD: Hello There, I have purchased a laptop Model: 81DE(Lenovo Ideapad330-15IKB U) with preinstalled genuine windows in it activated by digital lisense. Now I have installed SSD drive and want to install Windows 10 into the SSD drive, How to install windows 10 into that drive??...
  10. Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD

Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD: I have Dell Inspiron 7566 with built-in Toshiba HDD which had three partitions: C:/ for Windows 10 , U:/ for Ubuntu 18.04 and D:/ for other stuff. Ubuntu was installed in UEFI mode and on every boot computer loaded to GRUB and asked which system it should start. Recently I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. installing windows 10 to a new ssd using hdd partition to reformat

2. install multiple windows 10 on a same pc