Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently purchased a internal 3.5 inch SATA Seagate 3TB Hard Drive from Amazon as it caught my eye because it was on sale. *chuckle I'm trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OmahaIT1000, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive

I recently purchased a internal 3.5 inch SATA Seagate 3TB Hard Drive from Amazon as it caught my eye because it was on sale. *chuckle I'm trying to install Windows 10 64 bit, and my problem is that my desktop, a Dell OptiPlex 3010, is only seeing 2.7 TB (2,794GB under DiskPart) of the new drive, instead of all 3TB or something close like 2.9TB. The BIOS is seeing the entire 3.0 TB. That's several hundred gigabytes the OS is not seeing. I've done a lot of Google searches, and most are the steps I've tried with no success. I've changed the boot mode from Legacy, to UFEI and disabled secure boot in the BIOS, and I have done a BIOS update. I used Rufus to create a UFEI GPT bootable Windows 10 flash drive from the ISO. I know that I may not need a massive 3TB boot partition, but it would be nice to squeeze what I can out. My ultimate goal for this machine is to be a media center, hence the big hard drive.

Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive [​IMG]

:)

OmahaIT1000, Sep 22, 2015

2. Hitachi touro desk pro 3tb hdd does't work on win 8 to 10

After upgrading to Windows 10, all my 3TB Hitachi Turbo Desk Pro external hard drive for backup are no longer working. I have several computers, from 5 years old to the one just bought a month ago from Dell, none of them can show the 3TB external hard
    drive in Windows Explorer. If you mouse hover over the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon, it will show "Turbo Desk Pro 3TB" still. But Windows Backup couldn't find an external hard drive so no backup process can be run any more. Microsoft engineers,
    please look into this matter and resolve this issue for many of us who all bought this large capacity 3TB hard drives.

TexasCharlie, Sep 22, 2015
  3. Hyper-V causing boot loop in Windows 10 Pro x64

I also have Evga x58 sli classified motherboard model 141-BL-760-A2 with 12 GB of ram and i7-920 intel processor. Windows 8.1 x64 Pro ran fine but when I upgraded to windows 10 x64 Pro it would not boot with Hyper-V enabled. Have tried reverting back to
    windows 8.1 Pro and Hyper-V works fine. Upgraded again and still no go on Hyper-V. Then I tried a fresh install of Windows 10 x64 Pro and ran all updates. When I enabled Hyper-V in Windows 10 the same boot loop occurs. No bios settings or even using original
    driver updates for the motherboard has worked. I have tried this on SSD drives as well as standard hard drives. I also upgraded a windows 7 x64 Ultimate hard drive and the same boot loop occurs. I ran the upgrades and fresh installs of Windows 10 x64 Pro
    with only the single ssd or hard drive installed.

This post is to clarify my original post on July 30, 2015.

Thanks again for any help on this issue.

DouglasHogue, Sep 22, 2015
  4. genet Win User

Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive

Hard disk drive - Wikipedia

3*931=2793

genet, Sep 22, 2015
  5. Several hundred gigabytes missing at least 250GB? I know you won't the full 3,000GB. For example I have a 120GB SSD in my laptop, and Windows is showing 118GB, just a few gigs, not hundreds.

OmahaIT1000, Sep 22, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then your beef is with the hard drive manufacturer for labeling it as a 3TB hard drive when only 2.7TB are usable - not Microsoft or Windows 10. Windows 10/Microsoft can't use what isn't there on the disk.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28...2-tomshardware

One part - the hard drive and computer manufacturers falsely claim that there are 1000 bytes in a kilobyte, 1000 kilobytes in a megabyte, 1000 megabytes in a gigabyte, and 1000 gigabytes in a terabyte. The truth is, the real numbers in binary that the computer uses is 1024.

1000/1024 = .9766 X .9766 X .9766 X .9766 = .9095 x 3TB = 2.728 TB

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive

1. Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Installing Pro X64

2. windows 10 pro x64 v2004 installation

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 pro x64 v2004 installation: I installed windows 10 pro v 2004 x64 as clean install from booting from USB win10 iso to install in second SSD drive (first drive has same win10 version installed which I want to remove) The installation completed successfully on rebooting I found the option of dual windows...
  3. 3tb hard drive showing up as 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3tb hard drive showing up as 2: i recently had to redownload windows 10 because it wasnt booting, my 3tb hard drive was only showing up as 2tb, i ignored it for a while but now i am running low on storage how do i get my extra tb?...
  4. windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update: sorry this is my first post here so im not too sure how your suppose to say what i mean so im just gonna say it. last night my computer needed an update so when i shut it down it asked me to update and shut down and today when i turned it back on windows stopped working so...
  5. Partitioning the Windows 10 Pro installation hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitioning the Windows 10 Pro installation hard drive: Hello, I called on the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion on installing Windows 10 Pro. Dear Sir / Madam Please tell me when I install Windows 10 Pro and get to the partitions (partitioning) the document partition is the first but I want the Windows partition to be...
  6. FYI-Cloning Hard Drive (Windows 10 Pro x64)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    FYI-Cloning Hard Drive (Windows 10 Pro x64): Hi, All... When using free software I always keep this "Quote" in mind. “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” With that out of the way... I'm in the...
  7. Install Windows 10 Pro on new SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Install Windows 10 Pro on new SSD hard drive: My church has received a Dell Latitude E5540 as a donation. The hard drive has been wiped and boots up only to bios. I want to replace the hard drive with an SSD and install Windows 10 Pro. How to do I buy Windows 10 Pro and install it?...
  8. NEWLY INSTALLED 3TB DRIVE not recognized/formattable by Win #10??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NEWLY INSTALLED 3TB DRIVE not recognized/formattable by Win #10??: NEWLY INSTALLED 3TB DRIVE not recognized/formattable by Win #10?? I have two exact model WD 3 TB HDD's now, but the 2nd one will not allow me to formart or partiocian the 2nd 3tb hard drive? What can I do? It doesn't show up in MY PC Either..*Sick 65304
  9. New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB: Hi, I recently acquired a second-hand PC that had everything working fine but lacked a hard drive. I bought a 3TB HDD and installed it. Afterwards, I installed Windows 7 (because I had a key for it), and then I upgraded to Windows 10 because I prefer it. I noticed as...
  10. Mapped Drives on Windows 10 Pro x64

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped Drives on Windows 10 Pro x64: Good day! OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 under domain Ms Server 2016 i just want to ask a small favor if anyone can help me. we are using domain in out network and we have all security and policy. when the user login to his laptop all has been set but there's one thing...