Windows 10: Installing Windows on a new SSD - then replacing back to the HDD

Discus and support Installing Windows on a new SSD - then replacing back to the HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I only want to test the speeds of the new SSD on a specific machine, but then return the old hard drive, will it be ok if I took out the hdd with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mibaup, Mar 27, 2017.

1. mibaup Win User

Installing Windows on a new SSD - then replacing back to the HDD

If I only want to test the speeds of the new SSD on a specific machine, but then return the old hard drive, will it be ok if I took out the hdd with the current Win10 installation, then install Win10 on the new SSD, test stuff etc, and then return back the hdd? Or it may cause problems? And I won't be able to access the Windows back in the hdd after removal?

*Edit: It's a laptop with only 1 drive slot that's why I need to do those switchings
    ty

:)

mibaup, Mar 27, 2017

2. Replacing my broken HDD. (windows 10 activation)

My current HDD in my laptop is dying and i'm replacing it soon with a new ssd. I'm just worried that if i install the new ssd and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it it might not activate?

so what i'm asking is would i still be able to activate a fresh install of windows 10 on my laptop even if i replaced the hdd with a new one?

I only upraded to win10 for free back when i had win8.1

It also says on the settings/activation tab: "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account"

thanks in advance. Installing Windows on a new SSD - then replacing back to the HDD :)

Paolo Escoto, Mar 27, 2017
  3. windows 10 page fault in nonpaged area iastorav.sys usb boot for fresh install.

How can I boot in safe mode if I replaced my HDD with a brand new SSD? I should be able to boot from USB with Windows 10 even without any HDD or SSD installed in the laptop.

CristianDeschamps, Mar 27, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You can re-install the same version of Windows on the same computer as many times as you want without affecting anything. That includes switching around drives with Windows installed on them.

NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You don't even need to re-install -- if you have a USB2 or USB3-->Sata connection cable simply make a backup to HDD and then Restore to the target old HDD you want to put in your laptop and then replace it back into the laptop..

You can even use the same HDD provided you create another partition on it for the backup --you can delete that partition after the restore.

Use something like bootable version of Free Macrium --don't forget for taking the image you need the system partition too.

Much quicker and probably less error prone than re-installing Windows again completely.

Use RUFUS for converting say the Macrium .iso file to a bootable image on a USB stick.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Windows on a new SSD - then replacing back to the HDD - Similar Threads - Installing SSD replacing

2. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  3. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  4. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  5. HDD replacement with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD replacement with SSD: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with pre-installed Windows 10 Home Single Language. I want to replace my current HDD with a SSD. I do not have any license/activation key for the operating system. How do I proceed?...
  6. Replacing HDD with an SSD

Replacing HDD with an SSD: I plan to replace my HDD with an SSD because I want my laptop to run faster and it failed a diagnostics test. I don't know why it failed but, I don't want to corrupt my new SSD. What happens if I don't clone the HDD to the SSD? Will I need to buy a windows 10 product key?...
  7. Replacing HDD with SSD

Replacing HDD with SSD: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook, and attempted to replace the 1TB HDD with a new 500 GB SSD not a problem as I was fresh installing not cloning and will not even use 500 GB. I initialised the Crucial MX500 SSD in Windows 10, with the same partition type as HDD GPT and a new...
  8. Replace HDD with SSD Problems?

Replace HDD with SSD Problems?: Hello, community, I bought an SSD today and wanted to replace my old HDD with this one. I have successfully cloned the content of the HDD onto the SSD and now I wanted to put it into operation. But if I select the SSD in the boot menu as boot device, the screen stays black...
  9. Replacing HDD with a SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing HDD with a SSD: Hi, I am planning to update my Dell inspiron 15 5570 with a SSD According to the laptop's spec sheet it supports M.2 NVMe SSD up to 512 GB Below is the one I think should be fine for the task: Amazon link What are the things I should take into consideration while...
  10. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.: Hey, I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd. The laptop does not have an additional hdd option. Thanks in...