Windows 10: Installing Windows Vista alongside Windows 10 via VHD

Discus and support Installing Windows Vista alongside Windows 10 via VHD in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have a Dell 3531 Laptop currently running Windows 10, I'd like to install Windows Vista on a VHD so I can dual boot Windows 10 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Gabe0014, May 15, 2016.

1. Gabe0014 Win User

Installing Windows Vista alongside Windows 10 via VHD

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell 3531 Laptop currently running Windows 10,

I'd like to install Windows Vista on a VHD so I can dual boot Windows 10 and Vista. I've tried it a few times but I can't figure it out. I was wondering if anyone could help me on how to do it, or if it is even possible to do.

I know it may sound a little weird that I want to dual boot windows 10 with such an older version of windows, but I have my reasons!!!

Thanks!!

:)

Gabe0014, May 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 Pro is it legit to run it from a VHD

Hi,

I used to use Windows 7 booting to VHD, and I was using the Enterprise version.

Now, I have seen that Windows 8 was able to boot to VHD.

But I cannot find anywhere if we can use Windows 10 PRO boot to VHD,

Is the Pro license allows us to use the VHD Native boot? (Aka booting from a VHD file?)

If so,

I have seen a post regarding a feature that we cannot know if it will be or not available in that post

Windows 10 VHD Native Boot Installation--Officially Supported?

more precisely "I have a clean install of Windows 10 Pro booting from VHDX. I received the Windows Update notice to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586. This update then fails with a pop-up message "You
    can't install Windows on a virtual drive.""

If we install Windows 10 Pro to VHD boot , are we gonna be able to continue upgrades?

Is there a list of features that are not available?

Mny Tx!

CloudRicher, May 15, 2016
  3. MardAZ Win User
    Windows 10 VHD Native Boot Installation--Officially Supported?

Is booting Windows 10 from a vhd (or vhdx) file officially supported by Microsoft? I know there were lots of articles about running the Windows 10 technical preview by using Boot From VHD, but I have been unable to find a listing of Windows 10 features
    that shows that it officially supports this feature. It is well-known that a vhd-booted Windows 8.1 installation cannot be upgraded directly to Windows 10 (as was also true when upgrading from 8 to 8.1). Does anybody know the "status" of VHD Native Boot
    going forward?

MardAZ, May 15, 2016
  4. kebero Win User

kebero, May 15, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    Exactly.

All Windows Vista and later versions and editions support booting another OS from VHD, but the Windows version and edition you install to a VHD must be one of the following:
    • Windows 7: Ultimate or Enterprise
    • Windows 8 / 8.1: Pro or Enterprise
    • Windows 10: Pro, Education or Enterprsise
    In addition Windows Server 2008 R2 and later editions can be booted from a VHD.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Windows Vista alongside Windows 10 via VHD - Similar Threads - Installing Vista alongside

2. Windows Vista installation failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista installation failed: I’m doing a windows 7 and Vista dual boot boot project on a Lenovo G575, but whenever I try installing vista it always does this error once it enters full screen “This computer does not have enough space for temporary files. Windows installation needs atleast 440 megabytes of...
  3. Windows Vista installation failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Vista installation failed: I’m doing a windows 7 and Vista dual boot boot project on a Lenovo G575, but whenever I try installing vista it always does this error once it enters full screen “This computer does not have enough space for temporary files. Windows installation needs atleast 440 megabytes of...
  4. Windows Vista Installation Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista Installation Problems: Hello everyone,I know Windows Vista ended support, but I am used to it.I bought a new PC with modern UEFI that supports CSM, the hard disk is SATA.When I tried to boot the installation, it just gave me a BSoD.What should I do, I really want this operating system on my PC to...
  5. Windows Vista Installation Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Vista Installation Problems: Hello everyone,I know Windows Vista ended support, but I am used to it.I bought a new PC with modern UEFI that supports CSM, the hard disk is SATA.When I tried to boot the installation, it just gave me a BSoD.What should I do, I really want this operating system on my PC to...
  6. Install windows alongside linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows alongside linux: Hi! I bought a Dell laptop in 2015 with Windows 8.1 preinstalled. I updated it to Windows 10 later that year, and was using that ever since. Last Friday, I updated it to Windows 10 version 2004. I did it from Windows update directly, didn't do any manual installation....
  7. Can't install windows 10 Home on Vista

Can't install windows 10 Home on Vista: Hi. I bought new version of windows 10 home from Microsoft. It arrived as a usb stick. It will not install. It states that it can't install on current operating system.Vista. It says it can be booted from installation media. I do not know how to do this. I will admit to not...
  8. Install Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu

Install Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu: I want to install Windows 10 on my pc that I'm currently running ubuntu on. In the past when I attempted to install windows and ubuntu, it erased all of my linux partitions in the process. How do I prevent Windows from accessing, erasing, or modifying these partitions during...
  9. Installing Ubuntu alongside windows

Installing Ubuntu alongside windows: I have an HP laptop in which genuine win 10 home installed on ssd . I want to install ubuntu on my hdd. Will doing so void my windows license or device warranty? Is it recommended ro install other OS alongside genuine windows?...
  10. how to install windows 98 alongside Windows 10?

how to install windows 98 alongside Windows 10?: no vmware,just alongside Windows 10 37790

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vhd boot windows vista

2. can you install and run windows vista alongside windows 10

3. install windows vista alongsude windows 10