Windows 10: Instant crash to black screen, then auto restart 2x before OK

Discus and support Instant crash to black screen, then auto restart 2x before OK in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Never in 5 years has this PC crashed until yesterday. I was editing in Photoshop Adobe Camera RAW some 25 .CR2 files when without warning the PC went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GARoss, Jul 10, 2016.

1. GARoss Win User

Instant crash to black screen, then auto restart 2x before OK

Never in 5 years has this PC crashed until yesterday. I was editing in Photoshop Adobe Camera RAW some 25 .CR2 files when without warning the PC went to a black screen as if the power shut down. But, the PC has a battery backup which I was checking when the PC tried to restart on it's own. The desktop appeared then crashed black as before, then restarted & ran okay the rest of day. My PC is well ventilated, has 16Gb RAM & an i5-2500 4 core CPU.

:)

GARoss, Jul 10, 2016
  2. cfergus Win User

Intermittent shutdowns since last W10 update

Hi again,

The issue is not resolved, has happened another couple of times in the past few days, as before instant shutdown to grey/black screen and failed restart.

Regards

cfergus, Jul 10, 2016
  3. Computer Crashes while watching online videos

This seemed to solve the problem for a day, but now my computer has crashed twice today with just Word open - something that hadn't happened before.

No BSoD, just the usual; an instant shut off and on the restart the same "Recovery, Microsoft didn't load properly" screen and the option to restart or go into advanced options.

CooperRigg, Jul 10, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello GARoss,

*Smile A Black screen does not generate a crash dump file and so there is nothing we can actually analyse. The only file is one from a BSOD crash after your PC had been on for 2h 35min on June 29.

Has anything been updated or changed in the last day or two that could give a clue? Try looking at the Reliability History which shows everything updated or any critical errors over recent days. [Note: I could not spot anything in the eventlog that suggests there are new events happening yesterday that were not happening before.]

philc43, Jul 10, 2016
  5. GARoss Win User
    Thanks for checking philc43. I've attached the Reliability History Report. It reports a couple events on 7/10/16 but, to my untrained eye, doesn't reveal much.

GARoss, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Instant crash to black screen, then auto restart 2x before OK - Similar Threads - Instant crash black

2. Games crashing pc. black screen to restart.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Games crashing pc. black screen to restart.: Hi, all new 5900x and 6900xt red devil 16gb ram, 850 watt PSU, MSi MAG b550. As for problem its mostly happening when i play forza horizon 5. Itll be random and not everytime i play it. Happened only once when league of legends was booting up a match from launcher as soon as...
  3. Black screen before signing in.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black screen before signing in.: Let me simplify the situation.It's been about half a month of me fixing problem on my PC that I built with Windows 10. USBBasically, I pulled out the USB stick and fixed the problem. Nice!Now I still have one unresolved issue left... the black screen before signing in. How do...
  4. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen before login: I was recently doing a system restore after my computer started acting wonky, however, the restore got hung up, so after about 10 hours or so, I gave up and did a hard shutdown. Now when I’m booting up my laptop, i get the Acer splash screen, however, after that I just get a...
  5. Black screen/Freeze restart or crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen/Freeze restart or crash: Up until a few months ago my pc was running fine, no problems. Recently however when im playing games the computer either freezes with black screen and i have to manually switch off and restart or it just restarts suddenly. Ive updated my drivers and checked online for...
  6. black rectangle after restart, disappears instantly

in Windows 10 Customization
    black rectangle after restart, disappears instantly: ok, listen here: everything bad always happens at night, no matter what. lemme explain what happened: so, i restarted my pc and i see a black rectangle pop-up, which disappeared very fast so i couldnt be able to take a photo. hope someone can help. specs: windows 10, MSI,...
  7. Black Screen Before Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen Before Login: After the update of october 2018 update 1809 my laptop is having a problem of black screen before the sign in page. It takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the lock screen. I don't know what's the problem. I feel so annoying as this is a brand new laptop with 8gb ram and i5...
  8. PC randomly crashes and restarts with a black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC randomly crashes and restarts with a black screen: Every time the PC crashes it will boot up and stay stuck on a black screen. Once it is shut down manually then booted up again it is fine. Description A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly. Problem signature Problem Event Name:...
  9. Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen before login screen: The black screen occurs before login screen. It happens randomly. I have to move the mouse (haven't tried pressing keyboard) and it will show the login screen and windows will continue normally. On my device driver it shows only 1 display adapter that is NVIDIA GTX 970. My...
  10. Restart during boot (black screen before normal boot)

in Windows 10 Support
    Restart during boot (black screen before normal boot): Good afternoon, Since couple of days my desktop PC has a problem that does not compromise its use but rather annoying When I press the button to turn it on it immediately restarts showing a black screen and after this reboot it starts booting up windows quickly and without...