Windows 10: Insufficient rights when creating Start Menu items during installation

Discus and support Insufficient rights when creating Start Menu items during installation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi forum, I have an issue when installing software in general on my Windows 10 Pro installation. So far i've tried with Skype and VirtualBox and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bahumbaba, Sep 27, 2016.

1. bahumbaba Win User

Insufficient rights when creating Start Menu items during installation

Hi forum,

I have an issue when installing software in general on my Windows 10 Pro installation.

So far i've tried with Skype and VirtualBox and both installations are having issues when it comes to create the Start Menu shortcuts, i get the error and have to cancel the installation: The installer has insufficient privileges to access the directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Oracle VM VirtualBox. The installer cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator.

Insufficient rights when creating Start Menu items during installation [​IMG]

What i've tried so far:

These steps have helped some users with the same issue, but i cant seem to catch a break, i still can't install software.

Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

bahumbaba, Sep 27, 2016

2. Anniversary Upgrade completely re-wrote (deleted) the existing start menu items.

The link you provided was for people who can not access the Start Menu at all. My Start Menu is working, but all the items that were added by me and by Windows during the initial installation were deleted. Even icons for Microsoft Office were removed by
    the update.

I am having to slowly add the Start Menu item back as I need them.

MonsoonNewZealand, Sep 27, 2016
  3. Can't add anything to Start menu

At some point in the last month or two, I stopped being able to add items to the start menu. Right-clicking on something and selecting "Pin to start menu" does nothing. When I install software, it doesn't appear in the start menu or in start-menu search.
    (Programs installed earlier are still available in both places.) Any ideas?

Phasma Felis, Sep 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you might be in luck if you try just relevant repairs related to permissions using Tweaking.com's free repair tool, observing its several cautious steps.

When did this start to happen? Ever since you installed/upgraded to Win 10? Since an update or some other event?

Do you have any restore points prior to this starting?
    Or disk images?

dalchina, Sep 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Insufficient rights when creating Start Menu items during installation - Similar Threads - Insufficient rights creating

2. Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu: The following will no longer open from right-clicking on the Start Menu button: Task Manager Event Viewer Device manager Disk Manager Computer Manager Command Prompt Command Prompt Admin File Explorer All others will open. Also some desktop icon will only open by...
  3. add items in menu Start

add items in menu Start: Hi to whom it may concern. I know how to insert one icon in Start Menu or in application bar but I don't know to insert VLC media reader icon in the list of Apps at left of Start Menu. Could you tell me how to do it? Thank you and Best Regards, Dario...
  4. Right click on Start menu item, item disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click on Start menu item, item disappears: A reinstall of Insider Preview. If I click on "Start", scroll to a program, Outlook, for example, when I right click the Start menu disappears.Happens with any Program, App, that I click on. There's sort of a 1 second delay before its gone. Ran an sfc /scannow and found...
  5. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  6. Start Menu item - Right-Click>Properties>Shortcut key

Start Menu item - Right-Click>Properties>Shortcut key: In Window 7 and earlier versions, one could right-click an item in the start menu, select properties and access the shortcut tab. Therein lay the Short key field, which I used a lot for creating custom key combinations, eg CTL+ALT+N for Notepad++ or CTL+ALT+P for Paint.NET....
  7. Right Click start menu items do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click start menu items do not work: I updated to windows 10 last week and everything worked. Now if I right click on the start menu, the context menu items other than Run, shut down, search or desktop no longer do anything. Cortana always asks me to switch my speech language, but if I ignore that it works and...
  8. Blank start menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank start menu items: See picture. For some reason many icons have no picture and are left blank. Any idea how to fix this? [img] 23700
  9. Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working: Hi all. This is my first post. Using win 10. The Issue i'm having is that when I right click on the Windows Start Icon, I get a list of menu items: Apps features power options event viewer * system, device manager* network connections disk management* computer...
  10. No Properties menu item when right clicking the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    No Properties menu item when right clicking the taskbar: I have a clean install of build 14332 No properties menu item when I right click the Taskbar. How can I get to the properties screen? [img] This is the menu I am trying to get to (image from the web not my PC) [img] 51030