Windows 10: Intel 1st generation core processors with win10

Discus and support Intel 1st generation core processors with win10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a first generation core processor, to be precise, I have the i3 550. A long while ago I updated to win10. All was fine though one program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 7ender, Sep 21, 2017.

1. 7ender Win User

Intel 1st generation core processors with win10

I have a first generation core processor, to be precise, I have the i3 550.
    A long while ago I updated to win10.
    All was fine though one program (ExtremeGammon, backgammon software) didn't work anymore.
    Also today I have troubles with a retro styled video game I bought from steam.
    I started to think my computer might be the problem.
    Both programs I have problems with are graphical.
    I thought maybe I need to update my internal HD graphics of the i3 550.
    But I see the i3 550 is so old that Intel does not support it anymore.

Does any of you have similar problems?

When I look for i3 550 drivers they are at latest drivers for win7 , no drivers for win10.
    I could try to use a new graphics driver that is not for my processor, but I don't think that would work, and I assume actually cause a lot trouble.

:)

7ender, Sep 21, 2017
  2. manojrao Win User

when intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows® 10 32-bit update will be released by microsoft, intel assure that will be done by microsoft??

Intel® HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows* 10 32-bit (N-Series)

(Which file should I download?) Available Downloads

htt://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Detailed Description

An Intel Graphics Beta driver for Windows*10 can be found in Windows Update. Please run Windows Update from within Windows or visit Microsoft’s
    Windows Update Web site.

Windows Update is included in the Windows Control Panel. To check for updates within Windows, Click the
    Start button, click All Programs, and then click
    Windows Update.

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.

manojrao, Sep 21, 2017
  3. ....

Every Intel Core processor, no matter what generation, has a Core i3, i5, or i7.

For example, my processor is Intel Core i3 2nd Generation.

Try downloading CPU-Z and send a screenshot (a picture of your screen) and let's see what your processor generation you have.

alexei.solonari, Sep 21, 2017
  4. Try3 Win User

The graphics driver [display driver] relates to the display adapter not to the computer's processor.

You can check for the most up to date display adapter available for your display adapter in

1 your computer maker's website.

2 Intel Download Center [do not bother with their automatic Intel driver update utility because that will search then tell you it does not support legacy devices & that you need to search the Intel Download Center instead].

3 Microsoft update catalog - you have to experiment with the name you search for so start with the full name of the display adapter as given in Device manager and then, if necessary, try shortening it by omitting the full model number [but you will have to browse the search results yourself to ensure you only download & install the correct model]. The Catalog is very useful but it can be perverse - I have seen it fail to find a full model number in its search only for me to find the full model number used in the update's title when I searched using a shortened version of it.

Denis

5. 7ender Win User
    1. Computer was made by a computer store, so that would not work. Even more so because that store, like so many computer stores, went bankrupt.

2. I guess my display adapter is 'Intel HD Graphics' according to this page Intel® HD Graphics Supported with Intel Core i3 Desktop Processors
    when I click on it I see this page Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics for Previous Generation Intel® Processors
    The latest driver on that page is from 2/19/2013 , but it is for win vista or win7.
    I have win10, there are none for win10? must I use the one for win7, would that work when I use win10?

3. Here when searching for Intel HD Graphics I get this page.
    Microsoft Update Catalog
    It's a long list and the newest driver (2016) is for Intel HD Graphics 530 not for plain Intel HD Graphics
    The newest I find for plain Intel HD Graphics without any number behind it, is ' Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics (from 2016). would this last one be the one I need to use?

7ender, Sep 22, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Not for PCs that don't have a separate GPU. Intel HD is built into the CPU.

I have a 640M processor also with Intel HD graphics (first gen). I get the driver through Windows Update and it is version 8.15.10.2900 from 26-Nov-12. Works fine for me.

Check the requirements of the game though. Intel HD (and so your i3 550) only support DX10. Many games now require DX11 to install which would be Intel HD3000 minimum. You can't get around that with drivers - it is a hardware issue.

7. 7ender Win User
    Strange, I have DirectX 12 as far as I know.

7ender, Sep 22, 2017
  8. Try3 Win User

lxo7 is correct - Everything I have been writing [including what follows below] assumes that the display adapter exists in its own right & is not built into the CPU.

You can go to
    - Device manager, {display adapter}, Details tab, Hardware IDs & Compatible IDs
    then compare them to the list of drivers available in the update catalog
    - Click on the Title of each suggested driver, {a separate tab / window opens}, Package details tab, Supported hardware IDs.

Other than that, all you can do is make a system image & experiment.

My own computers were also well out of their support period when I installed Windows 10 on them.
    • My old Windows 7 ended up with a mixture of drivers from Windows 7 & 10.
    • My old Windows XP ended up with a mixture of drivers from XP, Vista, Windows 7 & 10.

Denis

9. sygnus21 Win User
    Unfortunately, that processor is 7 years old with no further support - Intel Core™ i3-550 Processor (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz) Product Specifications

And yes, unfortunately, there are also no Windows 10 drivers for it as well - Downloads for Intel® Core™ i3-550 Processor (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz)

I think your best bet would be to purchase a dedicated GPU for that system. However, I have to wonder if that system is as old as that processor, and whether it will even support one of the newer GPU's today. It would help if you listed the system specs of said PC.

sygnus21, Sep 22, 2017
  10. sygnus21 Win User
    There are still many games out there that still run on the DX9/10 API, including a lot of today's titles. You just have to read the game requirements. That said, hardware qualification is another issue.

Be aware that though Windows 10 supports DX12, if your GPU or game isn't DX12, you'll only run at lowest DX level. In this case your GPU is only listed as DX10 so that's as high as any game will run provided the game supports up to DX10. DirectX is backwards compatible so it'll allow older DX versions to play.

sygnus21, Sep 22, 2017
  11. 7ender Win User
    The game (Deponia The Complete Journey) has as minimum requirement dx9. So that should not be the problem.

What I am bothered most about is the backgammon software ExtremeGammon that I had for a very long time that run well on win7 and doesnt work anymore since i have win10. I contacted the programmer a long while ago, and we couldnt find a solution.

7ender, Sep 22, 2017
  12. 7ender Win User
    But also, I wonder. Is my problem the video adapter and/or driver. Or could it just be another problem?

7ender, Sep 22, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

I think it is another problem. Assuming you have not disabled Windows Update then your driver will be the best there is.

The CPU is pretty fundamental and Windows Update has it covered.

Post a link for one of these programs and I'll try it on 1st gen Intel HD. Try to give more details of the problem also - what these graphics problems look like.

Either it is software (in which case if it works for me it isn't) or it is another issue.

14. bobkn Win User
    DX12 emulates features that aren't supported in hardware. The HD graphics in the I3 550 are DX 10.1.

I doubt that emulation would cut it for some games. (I don't game much.)

Are you up for installing a PCI-E graphics card? If so, the least expensive card that Newegg thinks supports DX12 in hardware:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814127931

I'm not sure that $38 (including shipping) would be worthwhile for you, but at least it has up-to-date drivers.

bobkn, Sep 23, 2017
  15. 7ender Win User
    The video game is Deponia, it is on steam, but I already kind of solved it, I can play it now, when I turn of an option, that is an overlay of Steam during the game.

The backgammon software is eXtreme Gammon
    There are two problems though.
    It's a paid program, although you can download a free 14 day trial of XG2, wherein is the second problem, I still use the old XG1, but maybe if you download that (it's under other downloads) you also get the free 14 day trial, though I think most probably that won't be the case. If not, maybe if you see that XG2 works fine, I could buy an upgrade to XG2 there, and hopefully the newer version would work for me too otherwise I would have thrown money away.

7ender, Sep 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Intel 1st generation core processors with win10 - Similar Threads - Intel 1st generation

2. "New" 12th generation Intel Core I7-1255U not on "Windows 11 supported Intel processors" list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "New" 12th generation Intel Core I7-1255U not on "Windows 11 supported Intel processors" list: This seems like to prevents me from install Windows 11 22H2 patch 5017321 on my brand new Acer Aspire 5 Intel Core I7-1255U, that was OEM-preinstalled with Windows 11. After multiple attempt on Windows Update, no suggestion on new update appeared. Tried with "Windows Update...
  3. "New" 12th generation Intel Core I7-1255U not on "Windows 11 supported Intel processors" list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "New" 12th generation Intel Core I7-1255U not on "Windows 11 supported Intel processors" list: This seems like to prevents me from install Windows 11 22H2 patch 5017321 on my brand new Acer Aspire 5 Intel Core I7-1255U, that was OEM-preinstalled with Windows 11. After multiple attempt on Windows Update, no suggestion on new update appeared. Tried with "Windows Update...
  4. Intel Core i7-7920HQ Processor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel Core i7-7920HQ Processor: I am running a Dell Precision 7720 with an Intel i7-7920HQ @3.10GHz. Running the PC Health for Windows upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 says everything is fine to upgrade except the processor however, when looking at Microsoft Windows support processors for upgrade...
  5. Intel Core i7-7920HQ Processor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel Core i7-7920HQ Processor: I am running a Dell Precision 7720 with an Intel i7-7920HQ @3.10GHz. Running the PC Health for Windows upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 says everything is fine to upgrade except the processor however, when looking at Microsoft Windows support processors for upgrade...
  6. Intel Core i7-7920HQ Processor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. What intel processor generation is this?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What intel processor generation is this?: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3700 @ 1.60GHZ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-intel-processor-generation-is-this/d68262d3-932b-4adc-8949-801f3933ab10
  8. Is an upgrade for i3 intel core processor possible??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is an upgrade for i3 intel core processor possible??: ok so I have an i3 intel core processor, im also quite the fan of gaming as well so how do I go by upgrading my system to be a better gaming system that gives accessibility to the latest games as well???...
  9. 8th Generation Intel Core Processor Family Debuts

in Windows 10 News
    8th Generation Intel Core Processor Family Debuts: [img] On Aug. 21, Intel will unveil the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family on Facebook Live. Watch as two exciting moments align: the Great American Solar Eclipse and the unveiling of Intel’s most powerful family of processors for the next era of computing. Hear...
  10. Intel launches 5th-generation 'Broadwell' processors

in Windows 10 News
    Intel launches 5th-generation 'Broadwell' processors: Intel has just announced its 5th generation Intel Core processors, also known as Broadwell, at CES 2015. The new chips are 37% smaller than the previous generation, using Intel's new 14nm process. Intel emphasizes the performance gains in Broadwell, especially battery life...