Windows 10: Intel chips with built-in Meltdown and Spectre protections later 2018

Discus and support Intel chips with built-in Meltdown and Spectre protections later 2018 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Intel expects to begin shipping its first chips with built-in protection against the Meltdown and Spectre attacks later this year, company CEO Brian... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Intel chips with built-in Meltdown and Spectre protections later 2018

Read more: Intel says new, Spectre- and Meltdown-proof chips coming this year - Business Insider

Brink, Jan 25, 2018
  2. Faith Win User

No sh*t. How about you mitigating the vulnerability on all your previous chips first. The new microcodes are barely functioning correctly.

:)

Faith, Jan 25, 2018
  3. ConiGL Win User
    ConiGL, Jan 25, 2018
  4. Rohn007 Win User

Rohn007, Jan 25, 2018
  5. sneekez Win User
    ***Exactly*** They can't weasel out of their responsibility, not to say they are, but... to ALL the processors out there now. *sarc

sneekez, Jan 26, 2018
  6. Is this just another Patch or is their new CPU's completely re-engineered without the flaw? I have zero Trust in Intel.

Josey Wales, Jan 26, 2018
  7. essenbe Win User
    It's my understanding they are new engineered Silicon without the flaw.

essenbe, Jan 26, 2018
  8. Cr00zng Win User

Cannon Lake CPU is slated to be released this year. The chances are that it is way too late for this CPU to be "completely re-engineered without the flaw". My guess, Patch it is...

Cr00zng, Jan 29, 2018
  9. lx07 Win User
    What do you suggest they do?

Should I post my 2006 laptop to Intel and get them to physically change the CPU? Considering they haven't made a Core2Duo (or any other CPU) without speculative execution yet what CPU should they solder in (after removing the old one)? An imaginary one?

Or are you perhaps one of the "lets have a class action!" people who want to complain and get some monetary reward when life isn't perfect.

10. Cr00zng Win User
    Faith has asked for mitigating the vulnerability for all CPUs, I am not certain from where the "lets have a class action!" line coming from....

Intel has known about this vulnerability at least since May 2017. In another word, Intel knowingly kept selling their CPUs without notifying the buyers of the vulnerability. Intel could be held responsible for that.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I want to participate in a class action lawsuits against Intel, but...

Intel made a mess with fixing microcode for their CPUs that resulted in a lot of people chasing their tails in fixing systems. Instead of Intel focusing on this mess, the CEO comes out and boast about the hardware fix that coming sometimes in the future. Really, the CEO is already looking ahead to record profits from the hardware fixed CPUs???

And you wonder why people get ticked off....

Cr00zng, Jan 29, 2018
  11. lx07 Win User
    Well that is certainly true.

If it makes you fell better so did IBM. They planned updates for their POWER systems (only POWER 7 and 8 I think) on Jan 11. Or perhaps Jan 18 or 21 or perhaps, um, not. They also couldn't say what (if anything) this was supposed to fix. At least Intel tried and failed. IBM failed to say what they were doing and then failed to deliver it anyway.

Not that I'm bitter or anything *Wink

12. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Jan 31, 2018
  13. Intel chips with built-in Meltdown and Spectre protections later 2018

dlwmacgregor, Jan 31, 2018
  14. lx07 Win User
    They did indeed say they "believed" they weren't.

AMD Processor Security | AMD

They said in the same link that they (like everyone else) are vulnerable to Spectre though. Which is the worse one.

Thema:

1. Intel chips with built-in Meltdown and Spectre protections later 2018 - Similar Threads - Intel chips built

2. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  3. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  4. Spectre and meltdown test

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spectre and meltdown test: Is there a way I can test for recent spectre vulnerabilities on win 10? All the tools I find online do not test for more recent issues submitted by /u/nocturnal_complex90 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k4un5t/spectre_and_meltdown_test/
  5. spectre and meltdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spectre and meltdown: After installed windows 10 1809 from 1709. I haven't perform any bios/uefi update except windows update. But inspectre program says microcode update available: yes instead of no. not to mention last time I performed bios/uefi update about 2 years ago. I'm...
  6. Question about Spectre and Meltdown

Question about Spectre and Meltdown: I recently updated windows 10 1809 from 1709. on topic, is my laptop spectre or meltdown proof. please explain this picture [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-spectre-and-meltdown/20b0315e-d783-4364-8721-91f662c97fb0"
  7. Spectre / Meltdown Looms?

Spectre / Meltdown Looms?: Maybe arriving soon? See http://www.securityweek.com/malware-...-flaws-emerges 103802
  8. PowerShell script to Check if Your PC Is Protected Meltdown /Spectre

PowerShell script to Check if Your PC Is Protected Meltdown /Spectre: https://www.howtogeek.com/338801/how...n-and-spectre/ Curious if anyone has run this particular script having followed the directions in the article. I am modestly comfortable running PowerShell but the instructions seemed to get deep into the weeds for me and I aborted. I...
  9. Windows Analytics now helps assess Meltdown and Spectre protections

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Analytics now helps assess Meltdown and Spectre protections: Last month, I shared some insights into what we learned early on in helping customers respond to the industry-wide vulnerabilities of Spectre and Meltdown. A top question we continue to hear from IT professionals around the world is how can they best assess if the Windows...
  10. Protect your Windows devices against Spectre and Meltdown

in Windows 10 News
    Protect your Windows devices against Spectre and Meltdown: Summary This article discusses the impact of the recently disclosed processor vulnerabilities, named “Spectre” and “Meltdown,” for Windows customers. This article also provides resources to help keep your devices protected at home, at work, and across your enterprise....