Windows 10: Intel Chipset numbering question

Discus and support Intel Chipset numbering question in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I run the Intel Driver Update Utility, it always shows my chipset needs an update. My problem is that my current version is 10.1.2.8 Intel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TV2, Mar 28, 2017.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Intel Chipset numbering question

When I run the Intel Driver Update Utility, it always shows my chipset needs an update.

My problem is that my current version is 10.1.2.8
    Intel Driver Update Utility wants to go to 10.1.1.14

Isn't 10.1.2 greater than 10.1.1? Or am I applying math where it doesn't belong?

:)

2. Ciano_p Win User

Chronic soft freezes in Windows 10

I'm having a similar issue with the Intel Update Utility. It was telling me my chipset device software was at version 14.6.0.1029 and that the most recent version is 10.1.1.14. I downloaded and installed SetupChipset to install the latest chipset device
    software and though the installation seemed to go okay, the version number was unchanged.

Poking around a bit it turns out that 14.6.0.1029 is the version number of my Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) driver that appears to be related to some of the freeze issues folks are having.

I upgraded my RST to the latest, 14,8.0.1042, and now when I run the Intel Update Utility it reports that version number as my chipset device software version number.

Ciano_p, Mar 28, 2017
  3. Intel chipset drivers error:

but now to the original question: is there a way to fix the intel driver utility error when trying to download chipset?

EvanZaitsev, Mar 28, 2017
  4. Intel Chipset numbering question

TairikuOkami, Mar 28, 2017
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    And then the most current version is 10.1.1.42
    The Intel Driver Update Utility only offers me 14.

I'm tempted to just leave well enough alone.

6. swarfega Win User
    Yes version 10.1.2.8 is higher (or newer) than 10.1.1.14. I would stop checking for a month or keep an eye on this thread.

swarfega, Mar 29, 2017
  7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I did (follow that thread). That's where all this started!

8. Kol12 Win User

I can't work these Intel chipset drivers out, I had a similar question in another thread. The driver numbers are all over the place, I downloaded and apparently successfully installed the latest 10.1.1.42 drivers but according to device manager the chipset drivers haven't changed and remain at 10.1.1.7

The only entry that shows as being updated to 10.1.1.42 is the:

Intel Xeon processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller - 0C00

Also the SMBus Host Controller version is 10.1.1.13 while the remaining are 10.1.1.7

I've also ran Intel Driver Update utility and it claims my current version is 10.0.14393.594 and offers 10.1.1.14 as the latest driver. The program seems bugged, as when I attempt to download the setup.exe through the utility the file doesn't appear at the download location... Not sure where to go from here.

Kol12, Mar 29, 2017
  9. Kol12 Win User
    Hmm, well if I got to Regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/INTEL/InfInst it shows version installed as 10.1.1.42 which is the latest drivers I manually installed the other day. I'm unsure why this version number isn't reflected through Device Manager.

Apparently there should also be an entry in Regedit/Infinst called "install-success" but I don't seem to have it. Can anyone confirm whether they have that or whether it should be there?

Kol12, Mar 29, 2017
  10. essenbe Win User
    Could this be the reason for the disparity in driver version?

Source

essenbe, Mar 29, 2017
  11. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I think they mean they literally changed the name of the utility.
    From
    Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
    to
    Intel Chipset Device Software

Just so the names are as confusing as the numbers!

12. essenbe Win User
    Yea, that's what I figured they meant, but the version numbers may have changed along with the name. I just tried to install their "latest" but it said I already had a newer version. Go figure.

essenbe, Mar 29, 2017
  13. Cliff S New Member

I only get my chipset drivers from the motherboard/PC/laptop OEM.

Cliff S, Mar 29, 2017
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Mar 29, 2017
  15. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Couldn't agree more. That's what I'm doing.
    I just ran the Intel program for kicks and grins and that's where my question came from.

I have all the current drivers from my boards website installed, including Chipset v10.1.2.8, and that Management Engine Interface driver (MEI).

Thema:

1. Intel Chipset numbering question - Similar Threads - Intel Chipset numbering

2. Intel PPM BSOD, Intel chipset drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel PPM BSOD, Intel chipset drivers: I have recently upgraded BIOS and Windows from 10 to 11 on my desktop PC with a ASUS ROG 390-F GAMING motherboard. After the PC was upgraded it has kept crashing, and I have debugged and eventually found out chipset drivers was not installed after BIOS update. So I downloaded...
  3. Intel PPM BSOD, Intel chipset drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel PPM BSOD, Intel chipset drivers: I have recently upgraded BIOS and Windows from 10 to 11 on my desktop PC with a ASUS ROG 390-F GAMING motherboard. After the PC was upgraded it has kept crashing, and I have debugged and eventually found out chipset drivers was not installed after BIOS update. So I downloaded...
  4. Question about Intel RST 18.x supported chipsets

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about Intel RST 18.x supported chipsets: The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is sometimes unreliable when it comes to checking for updates for my device. Hence me asking this question here. I have a Gigabyte Z370 HD3 motherboard along with a Neo Forza Zion NFS01 (no nvme). Intel Rapid Storage Driver has started a...
  5. Screen glitches - Intel chipset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen glitches - Intel chipset: Hello everyone, I'm experiencing a very annoying issue with my Notebook that is making my screen glitch and flicker like crazy, making it unusable sometimes. Hope someone can help me with this. I have a notebook with the following specs: Intel Atom x5-z8350 with Intel HD...
  6. Question about Intel Chipset Device Software

Question about Intel Chipset Device Software: After a clean installation of Windows 10 there is a notification to tell me I need to reboot to finish installing the Intel Chipset drivers. After a reboot and checking for Windows Updates the system is then brought fully up to date. Is it still recommended to then go to the...
  7. Amd chipset question

Amd chipset question: So I've got a question about the amd b450 chipset drivers; Should I install it directly from amd? Should I install it directly from MSI (the motherboard I have)? Or should I grab it & install it from both sources when a update is available? 148398
  8. Chipset Driver Question

Chipset Driver Question: Hello , have a good day. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Everything looks fine in the Device Manager. Will the recent chipset drivers from the AMD site affect the performance of the load?There is no AHCI or Raid in the system.There is an "AMD usb filter driver" and...
  9. Intel Chipset 10.1.1.42?

Intel Chipset 10.1.1.42?: I noticed that Intel has an updated chipset driver 10.1.1.42. It's newer than one currently installed from Asus mobo page but Asus doesn't offer this update. Do I install it? [img] [img] 80321
  10. Question on Intel Chipset Updates

Question on Intel Chipset Updates: My system is a Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero When I installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit at the time I installed the latest chipset (version 10.1.2.10). All has been well, but when I used the Windows Update Minitool the other week it says that there is a new update to these...