Windows 10: Intel CPUs Vulnerable to New 'BranchScope' Attack

Discus and support Intel CPUs Vulnerable to New 'BranchScope' Attack in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Researchers have discovered a new side-channel attack method that can be launched against devices with Intel processors, and the patches released in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Ground Sloth, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Intel CPUs Vulnerable to New 'BranchScope' Attack

Read more
    : Intel CPUs Vulnerable to New Attack | SecurityWeek.Com

Ground Sloth, Mar 26, 2018

2. Please god, not this again...

:)

tecnogaming, Mar 26, 2018
  3. Rey Cam Win User
    Windows 10 stutters / lag when opening UWP apps

Below is the official Microsoft statement on this issue.

“We’re aware of this industry-wide issue and have been working closely with chip manufacturers to develop and test mitigations to protect our customers. We are in the process of deploying
    mitigations to cloud services and are releasing security updates todayto protect Windows
    customers against vulnerabilities affecting supported hardware chips from Intel, ARM, and AMD. We have not received any information to indicate that these vulnerabilities had been used to attack our customers.”

Microsoft is aware of a new publicly disclosed class of vulnerabilities referred to as "speculative execution side-channel attacks" that affects many modern processors and operating systems including Intel, AMD,
    and ARM.

To address these issues, Microsoft has worked in partnership with the hardware industry to develop mitigations and guidance.

Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Rey Cam, Mar 26, 2018
  4. Intel CPUs Vulnerable to New 'BranchScope' Attack

Windows Phone vulnerable to FREAK ATTACK!

I am puzzled.

When I visit
    security bulletin
    does not mention anything about it! What is worse, there is no hope for any update coming.

Did I miss something? Or are the Windows Phones not meant to be secure?

Can somebody explain please?

With thanks in advance for any clues.

Martin

Martin Dobšík, Mar 26, 2018
  5. Are they saying that it only affects Intel processors, or are they saying that it has only been tested on Intel processors?

Ground Sloth, Mar 27, 2018
  6. Faith Win User
    AMD should also be affected in some way if it's in relation to Spectre 2. It's possible that this was tested soley on Intel though.

As predicted, more branch prediction processor attacks are discovered | Ars Technica

Faith, Mar 27, 2018
  7. clam1952 Win User
    Have these "Experts" got nothing better to do than look for unheard of never used possible exploits? Are they on some kind of look how clever we are ego trip?

clam1952, Mar 27, 2018
  8. pyramid10 Win User

Intel CPUs Vulnerable to New 'BranchScope' Attack

If the attacker has physical access, then security has already been compromised.

If the attacker has remote access, then security has already been bypassed.

So the concern is strictly espionage. A mole or double-agent working normally while the injected code retrieves sensitive info.

pyramid10, Mar 27, 2018
  9. Ground Sloth, Mar 27, 2018
  10. My thoughts too. Pretty tired of all this. All they seem to be doing is ‘alerting’ these underworld types to the possibilities with these big reveals.

Scottyboy99, Mar 27, 2018
  11. Flashorn Win User
    Why would they put this out there in the first place??

These Holes should be taken care of in their respective labs and Then give us a patch.

Now, they are just fueling the fires of all hackers.

I just wish they would use a bit of common sense but, I guess common sense isn't very common.

Flashorn, Mar 27, 2018
  12. So you are saying, as long as nobody looks for holes, none exist and therefore no one is exploiting them? *Confused

lehnerus2000, Mar 27, 2018
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

This is getting tiresome while our systems become slower and less responsive.

eLPuSHeR, Mar 27, 2018
  14. clam1952 Win User
    Not exactly but how do you exploit something that has not been discovered and the "how to" published?
    If these so called flaws have been exploited then where is the evidence or put another way, how many times has Spectre and Meldown actually been a problem before it was discovered and the code made public?

clam1952, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Intel CPUs Vulnerable to New 'BranchScope' Attack - Similar Threads - Intel CPUs Vulnerable

2. Intel 7th gen CPUs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel 7th gen CPUs: Can anyone from Microsoft itself tell me why the 7th gen got excluded from the compatibility list, except of all things the HEDT chips of said generation, AND the CPU that runs Microsoft's own Surface laptop the 7820?I'm furious....
  3. Intel 7th gen CPUs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel 7th gen CPUs: Can anyone from Microsoft itself tell me why the 7th gen got excluded from the compatibility list, except of all things the HEDT chips of said generation, AND the CPU that runs Microsoft's own Surface laptop the 7820?I'm furious....
  4. AMD processors from 2011 to 2019 vulnerable to two new attacks

in Windows 10 News
    AMD processors from 2011 to 2019 vulnerable to two new attacks: Academics disclose new Collide+Probe and Load+Reload attacks on AMD CPUs. AMD processors manufactured between 2011 and 2019 (the time of testing) are vulnerable to two new attacks, research published this week has revealed.The two new attacks impact the security of the data...
  5. New vulnerability lets attackers sniff or hijack VPN connections

in Windows 10 News
    New vulnerability lets attackers sniff or hijack VPN connections: Academics have disclosed this week a security flaw impacting Linux, Android, macOS, and other Unix-based operating systems that allows an attacker to sniff, hijack, and tamper with VPN-tunneled connections. The vulnerability -- tracked as CVE-2019-14899 -- resides in the...
  6. Intel Vulnerability Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Intel Vulnerability Updates: I have several computers (both Win 7 & Win 10 Pro 64-bit) that require the updates for the Intel vulnerability problem that was released May 14. What I'm trying to figure out is how to download and install the microcode updates. Is it part of Windows update or something...
  7. vulnerable double pulsar attack

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    vulnerable double pulsar attack: sir i reinstalled window 8.1 from iso file from microsoft official site now from avast i came to know that windows is affected by vulnerable double pulsar ..............plzzzzzzz helpppppppp...
  8. Intel Atom Z2560 "Intel's Atom Clove CPUs"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel Atom Z2560 "Intel's Atom Clove CPUs": Hello, I have a older Tablet sitting around in my shelf and I tough it would be nice to have a windows tablet to play around with. How ever I found out that the Processor my tablet is using "Intel Atom Z2560" which had Problems back in 2017. My question is is this still the...
  9. Latest Intel CPUs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Latest Intel CPUs: I love keeping up on the latest and greatest, and Intel is at it again! Say hello to the 10 core, 20 thread i7-6950x: http://ark.intel.com/products/94456/Intel-Core-i7-6950X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-25M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz Obviously between the fact that very few if any...
  10. Research shows antivirus products vulnerable to attack

in Windows 10 News
    Research shows antivirus products vulnerable to attack: A Google researcher has been reporting severe vulnerabilities in security suites from Kaspersky, Trend Micro, MalwareBytes, FireEye, AVG, ESET and now Comodo. Google security researcher Tavis Ormandy has long been a pain to vendors of commercial software with significant...