Windows 10: Intel Optane Memory

Discus and support Intel Optane Memory in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm waiting for an Intel Optane Memory Module to arrive. In the meantime I'm following up 3 Installation Media Preperation (Recommended Optional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fjk61011, Dec 14, 2017.

1. fjk61011 Win User

Intel Optane Memory

I'm waiting for an Intel Optane Memory Module to arrive.

In the meantime I'm following up

3 Installation Media Preperation (Recommended Optional Step) in

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...stallation.pdf

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...stallation.pdf

I get as far as Mount the Windows* Recovery Image:

dism/mountimage/imagefile:c:\Win10USB\windows\windows\system32\recovery\w inre.wim /Index:1 /mountdir:winre

and get

mountimage/imagefile is unknown.

Any ideas to get this working.

:)

fjk61011, Dec 14, 2017

HP Envy 750-624

HP - ENVY Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive + Intel Optane Memory

lakeside339, Dec 14, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Dec 14, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

Intel Optane Memory

Try mount-image instead of mountimage.

Word Man, Dec 14, 2017
  5. fjk61011 Win User
    No luck

error 87.

fjk61011, Dec 14, 2017
  6. Word Man Win User
    I believe you also need a space before all / option delimiters.

Word Man, Dec 14, 2017
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Just read the preparation steps Intel recommends for installing the Optane module.
    They sure make it very complicated. Especially considering all compatible machines are bound to support UEFI and GPT natively.
    Therefore I'd recommend skipping the creation of that recovery stuff and simply mount your Win 10 ISO and copy its contents to an empty USB stick.
    Then copy the Optane drivers to it in a dedicated folder.

Of course, before you begin always take an image of your system using MR Free or similar.

BTW: The correct command sysntax is shown in Intel's pdf's command prompt's screenshot. Should you want to persue that route.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 14, 2017
  8. fjk61011 Win User

Intel Optane Memory

Success. I had labelled my directory "winpe" instead of "winre".

fjk61011, Dec 14, 2017
  9. Word Man Win User
    Glad you got it sorted.
    *Thumbs

Word Man, Dec 14, 2017
  10. Are there any issues creating and restoring Macrium Reflect systems images on a system with Intel Optane memory? My understanding is that Intel Optane memory remembers how you use the system. I was wondering how Macrium Reflect would restore that information.

radiowaves, Dec 14, 2017
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,
    @radiowaves: Although I haven't actually tried it out I do not expect any problems restoring an image created by MR Free. The Optane software keeps track of what's on the Optane module and stores that on the system disk so that should work just fine.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 14, 2017
  12. Thanks fdegrove. I didn’t know that the Optane software stores the content of the Optane module on the system disk. I agree that Macrium should be able to handle the system disk part with no problem. But I’m still wondering how the contents of the Optane cache itself is restored. Does the Optane software do it after the restore completes or does the imaging software do it as part of the restore?

radiowaves, Dec 14, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

Intel Optane Memory

I don't have Optane memory, But I do use MR always. Certain system files are not backed up by MR (or any other backup software) because they are basically useless when a restore is done. Examples......pagefil.sys, hiberfil.sys, etc. They are all "caches" in a way. When the MR image is restored, it is booted up and any previous pictures of memory, or page file, etc. would mean nothing. So, I doubt the Optane cache is either backed up or restored, simply re-created by the software for the booted OS.

f14tomcat, Dec 14, 2017
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Exactly.
    MR does not see the Optane module and neither does Windows. It's the Intel Optane RST software that controls what's on the module.
    When you do a restore this caching software has the same status as when the image was made so it takes it from there.
    If there's a delta between the two I have no clue about how it handles that but I guess it clears whatever superfluous content is on the caching module. I.e. the delta.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 15, 2017
  15. fjk61011 Win User
    will the usb stick be bootable if I just copy from the mounted iSo. And how do I inject the drivers whilst installing?

fjk61011, Dec 15, 2017
Thema:

Intel Optane Memory

1. Intel Optane Memory - Similar Threads - Intel Optane Memory

2. Windows Security / Intel Optane Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security / Intel Optane Memory: I am trying to download the SSD Toolbox program however Windows Security is blocking the Intel Optane Memory.Why is this happening?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-intel-optane-memory/e01860d0-a2ae-4031-889f-f12641d75eaf
  3. Windows Security / Intel Optane Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security / Intel Optane Memory: I am trying to download the SSD Toolbox program however Windows Security is blocking the Intel Optane Memory.Why is this happening?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-intel-optane-memory/e01860d0-a2ae-4031-889f-f12641d75eaf
  4. Intel Optane Memory Pinning Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Intel Optane Memory Pinning Error: Since updating to Microsoft Windows 10 2004, everytime I right-click a file in File Explorer, I get the notification shown below related to Intel Optane Memory Pinning. I don't even have any Intel Optane Memory installed. What's going on? [ATTACH]...
  5. Intel Optane memory software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel Optane memory software: I got an error message connected with Intel Optane memory software. It says that Unable to load DLL ' iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll ': The specified module could not be found...
  6. Intel Optane(tm) Memory Pinning error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel Optane(tm) Memory Pinning error: Every time I right-click on a file or folder in Windows Explorer, I get a notification error that says the following: Intel Optane(tm) Memory Pinning Unable to load DLL 'iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll': The specified module could not be found (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007 I...
  7. Intel Optane memory question

Intel Optane memory question: I just got a new laptop, hp spectre, upgraded to the intel optane memory 32 gb. I want to check that the upgrade is there, however, when I go search through system information, I find that intel optane was added, but it doesn't say how much memory. I am absolutely NOT tech...
  8. Intel Optane memory pinning error

Intel Optane memory pinning error: Hi, I recently began getting this error at seemingly random times (at least I haven't been able to figure out a definite trigger yet). [ATTACH] I do have Intel Rapid Storage Technology (v 15.9.6.1044) installed, and am using it to accelerate my system drive. But I don't...
  9. Intel Optane Memory Pinning Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel Optane Memory Pinning Error: Recently I got this error, I don't think i have Optane Memory as I have a Dell XPS 9570. I tried disabling Intel Optane Memory Service but it still pops up. When i go to Intel Rapid Storage Technology it also shows as it being disabled. [ATTACH]...
  10. Intel Optane memory module update

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Optane memory module update: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00114 Product family: Intel® Optane™ Impact of vulnerability: Information Disclosure Severity rating: Moderate Original release: 07/10/2018 Last revised: 07/10/2018 Summary: Information disclosure vulnerability in storage media in systems with Intel®...