Windows 10: Intel RST installation set up incorrectly

Discus and support Intel RST installation set up incorrectly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've just bought a Dell refurbished XPS 15, but it seems like whoever reinstalled the system software did it incorrectly, and subsequently the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jokigenki, Sep 15, 2016.

1. jokigenki Win User

Intel RST installation set up incorrectly

Hi,

I've just bought a Dell refurbished XPS 15, but it seems like whoever reinstalled the system software did it incorrectly, and subsequently the machine is almost unusable. I'm hoping someone here can help me out with how to get it running properly.

The issue is that it has 2 drives, a 32GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. The SSD is supposed to be acting as a cache for the HDD using Intel RST, but the OS has been installed on this drive, so it is nearly full already and I can't even update windows. From what I can gather, the OS should be on the HDD, the SDD should be unallocated, and then IRST will work as expected. Apparently, I need to reinstall Windows (I have no install media except what's on the computer and have tried using the MS media creation tool to make one, but I don't even have enough space to do that!) and then set up IRST again. Is it possible to clone the SSD to the HDD to avoid losing anything that is installed on the OS partition?

This is my first Windows machine, so if someone could help me out with a by the numbers guide of what I need to do, I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Owen

:)

jokigenki, Sep 15, 2016
  2. Max Barrass, Sep 15, 2016
  3. Bryn530 Win User
    problem with my intel rapid storage technology

The RST Service and Tray Icon is missing on my set-up after the W10 Th2 upgrade but the storage controller device drivers are still the Intel 12.9.0.1001 I had installed so I'm assuming I can run the 12.9.0.1001 installer again to get my services and tray
    icon back? Essentially just reinstalling the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software. What do you think?

My registry is also pointing to the correct installer package location so I guess in my case it is just the Intel RST software and service that has been uninstalled.

Bryn530, Sep 15, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

If you allow my opinion, I would let it as it is and completely forget that with Intel RST and Cache.
    Most people that have a SSD use it for the OS and the secondary larger HDD for Storage of Data.
    I agree that 32GB is a little too small for the demands but you can live with it.
    I suggest you following steps to get best of your system:
    a) In a Elevated Command Prompt, type: Powercfg /Hibernate off. That will free many GB on your SSD (With switch ON, you get Hibernate back, if you absolutely need it
    b) go to System>Advanced System Settings>Performance[Settings]>Advanced>Virtual Memory[Change]:
    For your SSD Drive choice "No Paging File" , press Apply
    For your Secondary Drive, choice "System Managed", press Apply
    After this , Windows will ask to reboot you may do so.
    c) On that Tab "System Properties", there is also the "System Protection". Choice it. Now, press "Configure..". You may want to delete all "Restore Points" probably you do not need them.
    d) Move all Your Personal Folders to Secondary Drive:
    Open File Explorer and for each Item (Download, Documents, Pictures, a.s.o) , right Click on mouse, >Properties>Location now choose a Folder in 2nd Drive.
    e) Install all you Software/Apps to 2nd Drive. If there is Software Installed, uninstall it and re-install poiting it to 2nd Drive.
    f) Finally , do a Disk Cleanup, may be it is advisable to do a Extended Cleanup as here described: Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    g)Concerning the Upgrades that Windows will not allow because of not enough HDD space, you must Download the FILE and Store to 2nd Drive and run it manually from there. If it is a ISO, you can Mount and run it.
    Best luck, and forget the Chache with iRST.

Adalwar, Sep 15, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Sounds like you have a Hybrid drive. The 32GB is only for Cache on the drive, not for use as an extra drive space.

Also Intel RST has been known to be buggy with Windows. It should not be needed, since Windows 10 has the tech built into the OS

bro67, Sep 16, 2016
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Intel RST installation set up incorrectly - Similar Threads - Intel RST installation

2. Intel RST Memory Modules and Drivers not installing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel RST Memory Modules and Drivers not installing.: Hey,I have two issues that I need help for.1. I have an Asus X407UAR Laptop. My SATA Configuration is set to `Intel RST Premium with Optane System Acceleration`. But, when I open the Intel RST app, it shows that there are no Memory Modules installed.2. I cannot install...
  3. Intel RST will not setup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel RST will not setup: I attempted to install Intel RTS on my desktop. After the setup window walks me through the basic first few steps the program said that it is going to reboot the PC into safe mode to complete the installation. My PC turned off and it started boot looping. Now I don't see...
  4. intel RST driver

intel RST driver: couldn't update Windows 10 intel rst doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-rst-driver/89c4ee5f-170d-443c-b166-4c4a8c955750
  5. Intel RST Driver

Intel RST Driver: I usually browse this forum to keep up with new driver updates and whatnot (especially all those freaking Realtek driver updates!), but I haven't seen a post about Intel RST drivers, so I'd like to let people know that Intel release a new version a little while ago:...
  6. intel rst will not install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    intel rst will not install: With the newest build of win10 I cannot install intel rst. Says I need dot net installed. When I goto install dot net it says I have the newest on installed. Asus z97a mobo Intel i7 4790k 16Gb gskill ram Gtx 970 Samsung 850 pro ssd 5327
  7. Intel RST and Z77

Intel RST and Z77: Hey all, I have Z77 chipset, Ivy Bridge, Intel SSD etc. Intel haven't updated it's RST for Z77 in a long time, the latest working version is 13.1.0.1058 - although release notes of few later drivers say those are also for Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI...
  8. Cant install Intel RST program

Cant install Intel RST program: im trying to install intel RST (rapid storage Technology) to try to restore my once blazing fast laptop. not that it works anyway but the setup keeps asking for .net framework 4.5 but windows comes with .net framework 4.6 & 4.5 and below. so i tried disabling the windows...
  9. Intel RST Install Error: Platfrom not supported

Intel RST Install Error: Platfrom not supported: I've just finished clean installing Windows 10 and I'm trying to install Intel RST ,however, I keep getting an error right at the beginning saying "Platfrom not supported". I've checked to make sure im trying to install the correct version for Windows 10(...
  10. Intel RST, RAID and Write Cache Settings

Intel RST, RAID and Write Cache Settings: I upgraded to Win 10 from 8.1 with RST version 14.0.0.1143. I have two RAID arrays on the Intel MB controller, a 2-SSD RAID 0 for the system and a 4-SSD RAID 10 for data. I sometimes experienced system freezing when mucking with the write cache settings in the RST app, but...