Windows 10: Intel RST Woes: Disapearing Drive vs RAM Usage

Discus and support Intel RST Woes: Disapearing Drive vs RAM Usage in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; At some point I've realized that my system is using 7gb++ of RAM while idle. Using RamMap I noticed that some driver/s are blocking about 5gb of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by monokoi, Jul 13, 2016.

1. monokoi Win User

Intel RST Woes: Disapearing Drive vs RAM Usage

At some point I've realized that my system is using 7gb++ of RAM while idle. Using RamMap I noticed that some driver/s are blocking about 5gb of memory. So I updated the drivers and noticed that the Intel Rapid Storage Technonlogy was not installed. (Not running a RAID config, I thought I would not need it.) After installing RST my RAM usage went down to 2.5gb idle - but now one of the drives is missing. Removing RST brings back the drive but bumps memory usage back over 7gb.

Here's the setup pre-RST:

- (DVD) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 SCSI
    - (HDD) Samsung HD502IJ
    - (HDD) Samsung HD502IJ SCSI
    - (SSD) Samsung SSD 840 EVO

This is the setup with RST:

- (DVD) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 SCSI
    - (HDD) Samsung HD502IJ
    - (HDD) Intel Raid 0 Volume
    - (SSD) Samsung SSD 840 EVO

The HDD marked SCSI is now no longer available to the system. How do I fix this mess please?

:)

monokoi, Jul 13, 2016
  2. auggy Win User
    auggy, Jul 13, 2016
  3. NewSouth Win User
    Raid Array won't initialize in disk management

Update:

Solved with latest Intel RST drivers, 15.9.0.1015. Specifically, ran the SetupRST.EXE download to update, and resolved the issues.

Intel's RST driver page is
    here

Thanks!

NewSouth, Jul 13, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

I am not sure that you really need Intel RST with Windows 10. W10 built in File History is doing much the same thing.

philc43, Jul 13, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    I think you might be confusing Intel RST with something else Phil , as it doesn't do file backups or Recovery like File History, it is just a GUI front end for the Raid Array and non raid disks , so you can verify the array and it's health etc.

Are all the drives plugged into the Intel ports on the motherboard ?

Just installing RST should not automatically create a Raid Volume , especially on a single disk....

Kbird, Jul 13, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Thanks for the correction @Kbird ! You are right I was confusing it with backups and shadowing.

philc43, Jul 13, 2016
  7. monokoi Win User
    Thank you for your replies.

I've given up on the matter, went to the store and bought a new hdd to secure the data before formating the drive.

Are all the drives plugged into the Intel ports on the motherboard ?
    Yes, it's not a hardware issue.

Just installing RST should not automatically create a Raid Volume , especially on a single disk....
    The drive was once part of a RAID0 array. By now I'm pretty confident the partion tables were messed up, using a live linux disk showed all sorts of errors.

What I'd still like to know, is why 5gb of ram were driver blocked when iRST was not installed. Not because I need to, but just out of curiosity.

monokoi, Jul 14, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

I am not sure but suspect that you are using the Microsoft Driver for your Raid Controller , without RST installed, and it was trying to use some sort of software raid on your messed up drives.

You could use AHCI if you aren't using Raid anymore

You could also use something like HDD LLF Tool on the messed up drives before reinstalling an OS etc on them

HDDGURU: HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool

Kbird, Jul 14, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

How can you possibly build a RAID 0 volume using just a single drive ??

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 14, 2016
  10. Kbird Win User
    You can't *Smile

he had/has? a broken array and is using the drives in non-raid mode now but RST still sees the broken Raid on the one disk. I have had that issue in the past too but a Format with a good tool like HDD LLF clears it up.

Kbird, Jul 14, 2016
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Good. No further comment then.

Cheers, ; )

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Intel RST Woes: Disapearing Drive vs RAM Usage - Similar Threads - Intel RST Woes

2. Intel RST will not setup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel RST will not setup: I attempted to install Intel RTS on my desktop. After the setup window walks me through the basic first few steps the program said that it is going to reboot the PC into safe mode to complete the installation. My PC turned off and it started boot looping. Now I don't see...
  3. Intel RST vs Windows AHCI drivers.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel RST vs Windows AHCI drivers.: Does anybody know whether the Intel RST drivers (in AHCI mode) perform better than the Windows installed SATA drivers? Has anyone uninstalled RST drivers? I get a warning that I will not be able to uninstall them. [img] 168770
  4. RAM Usage: Task Manager vs tasklist

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAM Usage: Task Manager vs tasklist: Task Manager shows that I'm using 17.5 GB of RAM, but if I run the following from a command prompt: > tasklist /FO csv load the CSV file into excel, then total the Mem Usage column, it only adds up to 8.25 GB. What is using the extra 8.75 GB and why isn't this broken out...
  5. intel RST driver

intel RST driver: couldn't update Windows 10 intel rst doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-rst-driver/89c4ee5f-170d-443c-b166-4c4a8c955750
  6. Intel RST Driver

Intel RST Driver: I usually browse this forum to keep up with new driver updates and whatnot (especially all those freaking Realtek driver updates!), but I haven't seen a post about Intel RST drivers, so I'd like to let people know that Intel release a new version a little while ago:...
  7. intel rst will not install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    intel rst will not install: With the newest build of win10 I cannot install intel rst. Says I need dot net installed. When I goto install dot net it says I have the newest on installed. Asus z97a mobo Intel i7 4790k 16Gb gskill ram Gtx 970 Samsung 850 pro ssd 5327
  8. Intel RST and Z77

Intel RST and Z77: Hey all, I have Z77 chipset, Ivy Bridge, Intel SSD etc. Intel haven't updated it's RST for Z77 in a long time, the latest working version is 13.1.0.1058 - although release notes of few later drivers say those are also for Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI...
  9. Intel RST Service Not Running

in Windows 10 Support
    Intel RST Service Not Running: I keep running into this and it is affecting my overall performance. It slows to a crawl at times, mostly when playing videos. Because videos are what I do, it is a problem. I've been chasing this for a while and can't find reliable information. Neither Acer or Intel have...
  10. Memory leak ? icons and preview disapear, Ghost RAM usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Memory leak ? icons and preview disapear, Ghost RAM usage: Hi, Since upgrade to build 9879 i have an other big issue and if anyone can please help with it. I think it is memory leak, after some hours of use, i start to see weird things. Like icons and preview thumbnail are no more showing on task bar, when i click on start...