Windows 10: Intel-SA-00086 (v1.1.169.0)

Discus and support Intel-SA-00086 (v1.1.169.0) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How to fixed this particular issue? Thanks. 104837 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by khanmein, Feb 22, 2018.

1. khanmein Win User

Intel-SA-00086 (v1.1.169.0)

How to fixed this particular issue? Thanks.

:)

khanmein, Feb 22, 2018

2. Don't install windows 10 on a Asus et2701i all in one computer. or maybe all computer with install errors, roll backs

This is getting far above my "pay grade". Unknown (to me) whether (SA-00075) is the same as the "Meltdown" and "Spectre" vulnerabilities. Note the date is 9/12/2017, which is earlier that all the talk about "Meltdown" and "Spectre". I had previously found
    a test for "SA-00086" dated 26-Dec-2017, which was also negative. Is that for "Meltdown" and "Spectre" ?

MT

Mighty Tiger, Feb 22, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - Problem waking up from sleep mode

I guess my laptop is not getting version 11.7.0.1045 since Driver Update tells me I'm already at newest. Intel has security vulnerability (Intel-SA-00086) which my particular processor version doesn't have or my hardware has a different branch of IMEI software.

Does the version 11.7.0.1045 driver have a Power Management tab under Properties? If so uncheck the box to allow Windows 10 to put the driver to sleep.

There are many Windows sleep problems. This one was particular in that the machine would lockup when trying to wake, requiring a hard reset. On a laptop you could force sleep within a few minutes of waking or booting and sleep would often work - laptop
    would sleep then wake normally. However, the failure mode was when the user idle signal was sent after a period of inactivity, the IMEI driver did something erroneous with that signal, laptop would enter sleep but never wake again. Unchecking that enable
    driver sleep was a reasonably good workaround but quite frankly Intel needs to test their code better!

A lot of us have lost a lot of sleep debugging various sleep issues Intel-SA-00086 (v1.1.169.0) ;)

MikeRussell_929, Feb 22, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

To put it simply, you have to find an updated version of the Intel Management firmware that addresses this vulnerability. Because I have two Asrock motherboards that I've repaired for this, I can point you at the Asrock page where the downloads may be found: ASRock---Intel Firmware vulnerability INTEL-SA-00086. They also provide instructions on which download to choose based on your chipset, and instructions on how to apply it.
    Enjoy and HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 22, 2018
  5. Hi,
    I personally wouldn't worry about it
    You have a decent antivirus Malwarebytes premium
    If you uninstalled IME in programs the Intel evaluation would spin like a top and never complete *Smile

ThrashZone, Feb 22, 2018
  6. khanmein Win User
    @EdTittel My motherboad is ASRock H97 Pro4, which is not listed on the page.

@ThrashZone Yeah, I hope so. By default, my IMEI v11.6.0.1026 & now I've updated to v11.7.0.1057

khanmein, Feb 23, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    If the motherboard isn't listed -- and I just re-read the page and indeed it and/or its chipsets are not mentioned -- then they do not have a patch for your Intel ME firmware. Although the tool says you're vulnerable, Asrock apparently does not offer a patch. That leaves two choices:
    1. Practice safe computing and eternal vigilance to avoid exposure to attack.
    2. Look for a patch source from someplace other than Asrock. I'd suggest asking around at sites like Win-RAID or look to other BIOS hackers to see if something is available. I see that, for example, MSI released a patch for this for H97 mobos based on an Intel release of the base patch to OEMs. If you dig deeply enough you may be able to come up with a workaround. That said, it could also brick your PC if something goes kerflooey.
    Your call, but I vote for option 1.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: here's a link to the MSI Post, in case you're interested: Intel ME Firmware updates for H97/Z97 Mate Motherboard

EdTittel, Feb 23, 2018
  8. Intel-SA-00086 (v1.1.169.0)

A little bird tells me that the ME firmware versions are released and signed by Intel so the binaries are exactly the same between OEMs. Intel also releases its own firmware update tool.

That said, there may be secure boot, BitLocker, and/or measured boot implications if you update the ME without going through the OEM's tool.

For a home desktop system I would not bother. The ME9 vulnerabilities are both in AMT, which no home user ever provisions. To actually enable AMT an attacker would have to have local execution privileges on your system, in which case you have bigger problems.

PolarNettles, Feb 23, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, you are correct PolarNettles. REAL MEN (or real nerds, anyway) will hack their own BIOSes/UEFIs, using tools to slipstream the OEM updates from Intel directly into their own runtime environments.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 23, 2018
  10. Hi,
    Any one with direct access wouldn't bother hacking a computer in place they would just take it and hack it elsewhere *Smile
    This is overblown BS
    Just disabling remote access kills at least one of the vulnerabilities
    Use a standard user account pretty much mitigates a host of others.
    I'm doing nothing to either of my systems
    I'd get hit by a train in my living room before either of these exploits hit me *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Feb 23, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks for your kind and friendly input, ThrashZone. Your thoughts and reflections are always welcome.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 24, 2018
  12. khanmein Win User
    I ran the FWUpdate with 9.1.42.3002_5MB_PRD_RGN.bin.

Thanks guys. *Party

khanmein, Feb 24, 2018
  13. EdTittel Win User

Dear Khanmein: Good work. Those who persevere, eventually succeed. Glad you got it worked out. Please share your final, working solution in your next post to this thread. Other readers will want to know how your fixed this. Thanks in advance for helping others out.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 24, 2018
  14. khanmein Win User
    @EdTittel Previously, I'm using Intel ME 9.1 1.5MB Firmware v9.1.37.1002 (Consumers) which caused vulnerable & the problem is solved by updating the Intel ME 9.1 5MB Firmware v9.1.43.3004 (Corporate).

Procedure;
    1) Download Intel ME System Tools v9.1 r5 & Intel ME 9.1 5MB Firmware v9.1.43.3004 (Corporate)
    2) Extracted both into a directory folder
    3) Put "v9.1.43.3004_5MB_PRD_RGN.bin" into FWupdate\Local-Win64
    4) Run CMD as administrator & used the cd command to change from the current directory to the directory that contains the file
    5) E.g. E:\xxx\Intel ME System Tools v9.1 r5\FWupdate\Local-Win64>FWUpdLcl64 -f v9.1.43.3004_5MB_PRD_RGN.bin
    6) After the update is completed, then reboot your PC.

For more information, please kindly read the link below.
    Forum - Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware System Tools
    Credited to @plutomaniac & Win-Raid.

khanmein, Feb 25, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Again: good work! Thanks for sharing your solution, too.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Intel-SA-00086 (v1.1.169.0) - Similar Threads - Intel 00086 169

2. Intel Update stays at 0%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel Update stays at 0%: Hello,I reinstalled Intel Driver & Support Assistant a few days back, I used it a few months ago and it showed an update. When I click download all:It gets stuck at 0%:I have waited several hours and also tried putting it overnight. It still remains at 0%. I have also tried...
  3. Intel Update stays at 0%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel Update stays at 0%: Hello,I reinstalled Intel Driver & Support Assistant a few days back, I used it a few months ago and it showed an update. When I click download all:It gets stuck at 0%:I have waited several hours and also tried putting it overnight. It still remains at 0%. I have also tried...
  4. Moving 1 Item, 0% complete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving 1 Item, 0% complete: Hi, internet. Its my first time posting here and I do NOT plan to do so in the near future. See, the problem is that I want to transfer some files from one folder to another, and only today it so happens that this error, "Moving <number> items from dir to dir " and it simply...
  5. What is 169 IP address? How to fix 169 IP address error?

in Windows 10 News
    What is 169 IP address? How to fix 169 IP address error?: [ATTACH]Internet is a basic human right and its lack can disrupt your daily life. […] This article What is 169 IP address? How to fix 169 IP address error? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Surface pro Graphics driver to fix INTEL-SA-00189?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface pro Graphics driver to fix INTEL-SA-00189?: Will MS be releasing an updated Graphics driver for Surface Pro 4's that addresses vulnerability INTEL-SA-00189?? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-graphics-driver-to-fix-intel-sa-00189/8c009084-0bef-484f-a611-4460a5f71d9e
  7. Kinect v1 for streaming

Kinect v1 for streaming: Hello everyone! I try to install my old kinect v1 (model 1414) as a web cam to start streaming on twitch... I cant find a way to get an image from it...i've install kinect for window sdk v1,8 several time but i always have no driver for the cam... I run windows 10 with usb2...
  8. SMB v1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB v1: How do I enable SMB v1 on my windows 10 computers Please,, plain english Thanks for any help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smb-v1/f4c8d9ed-2619-4225-b5d1-471592fbd837"
  9. Windows 1 0 Reset recovery

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 1 0 Reset recovery: Hello, I recently had a problem with a company/hacker telling me I had to pay 400+ to get my key to operate my windows again after a trial period. I had also phone calls telling me the same. it warned me not to exit the screen, go to another site etc. or all would be...
  10. Intel socket 2011 will v1/2/3 CPU's fit

Intel socket 2011 will v1/2/3 CPU's fit: Hi there Hardware gurus out there. If I buy an ASUS Mobo with an intel 2011 socket -- will I be able to fit Intel I7 cpu's with 2011 v1, intel 2011 v2 or intel 2011 v3 sockets into the mobo. Getting right combination of socket and mobo seems quite complex these days....