Windows 10: Interesting AV article

Discus and support Interesting AV article in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Favouring Defender. How should I protect my Windows PC from malware and viruses? | Technology | The Guardian 81782 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dencal, Apr 12, 2017.

1. dencal Win User

Interesting AV article

dencal, Apr 12, 2017

2. Control Panel freezes computer in Windows 10.

Interesting, as I also have nitro pdf pro v8.

For me, removing bitdefender AV solved the problem and problem has not resurfaced.

Holligan_dxb, Apr 12, 2017
  3. CarolLJ Win User
    McAffee and Emsisoft Anti Malware

I recently read an article where it was rated the best of the free AV programs. There's NO reason to purchase an AV program. You often have to purchase a NEW version in order to remove an infection. Some consider McAfee and Norton money-making scams.

CarolLJ, Apr 12, 2017
  4. Try3 Win User

Interesting AV article

Interesting but his comment about Admin accounts is strange. He wrote

Second, run Windows as a standard user, not as an administrator. (MacOS and Linux users already do this.) Running as a standard user may eliminate 90% of threats.”

Since even Admin user accounts are initially logged in using Standard level user tokens rather than Admin level user tokens, how can it make any difference? Surely his comment only applies to network admin accounts as they can routinely be set up to run with their Admin tokens.

MS removed their warnings about running in Admin accounts in June 2013.

Denis

5. Running as Standard user is way safer than running as admin with UAC at max.
    Obviously, it is not for everyone, it would drive me nuts to use SUA, I prefer admin.

WD is actually doing pretty good, for the first time in forever.

AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview

TairikuOkami, Apr 13, 2017
  6. dencal Win User
    Impressive M$ results which I believe would not have included the latest updated version as in Build 1703.

Have been using Bitdefender free which have also found impressive, and will continue to use until M$ have properly sorted out the bugs in its latest Build 1703 version of Defender Security Center.

dencal, Apr 13, 2017
  7. TairikuOkami, Apr 13, 2017
  8. dencal Win User

Interesting AV article

Was under impression ATP is only available to corporate business on subscription.

dencal, Apr 13, 2017
  9. Superfly Win User
    .. nearly fell off my chair... gotta give credit where it's due - well done to them.

Superfly, Apr 13, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    We all know this but how many do?

I don't. I know I should but I don't.

I think I might see if I can do a poll here just out of curiosity. Perhaps it would be interesting.

What would be a good list of responses?

• I normally run as Standard User
    • I normally run as Admin because that was the default.
    • It is my PC so I run as Admin and turned off UAC.
    • It is my PC so I run as the built in Administrator as I liked XP.
    • I don't understand the question

11. lx07 Win User
    Because, by default, it is trivial to elevate a job and bypass UAC.

If you are running as a standard user you can't.

UAC Bypass Using eventvwr.exe and Registry Hijacking | enigma0x3

12. Indeed, but I do not think, you will get many, if any, SUA users here, for the record:

For daily use, do you prefer to run as Administrator or Standard user? | Wilders Security Forums

Maybe simplify it a bit (shorten), like:

What kind of user account do you use?

• Standard User
    • Default Admin
    • Admin with UAC set to Never Notify
    • Admin with UAC off (via GPO/registry)
    • Built in Administrator
    • No idea

By the way, since CU, store apps work with UAC really disabled.

Run Windows Store Apps With UAC Disabled in Windows 10 - Winaero

TairikuOkami, Apr 13, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

Interesting AV article

Good idea about making pool. Add a combination of answers..

I'm using Standard user on working machine and Admin on browsing / playing *Wink

AndreTen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Interesting AV article

1. Interesting AV article - Similar Threads - Interesting article

2. Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details: When I opened the News & Interest and clicked on Traffic Incident to get more info, doesn't matter where I clicked: The Title, the "See More", nothing happened. Please let me know how can I view the details?...
  3. Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details: When I opened the News & Interest and clicked on Traffic Incident to get more info, doesn't matter where I clicked: The Title, the "See More", nothing happened. Please let me know how can I view the details?...
  4. Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. "news and interests" now suddenly huge??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "news and interests" now suddenly huge??: what the hell? why is it suddenly so giant? what's going on here? it was not like this for me before, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/news-and-interests-now-suddenly-huge/58e2cfaa-ea87-4568-bda9-104767b1d763
  6. "news and interests" now suddenly huge??

"news and interests" now suddenly huge??: what the hell? why is it suddenly so giant? what's going on here? it was not like this for me before, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/news-and-interests-now-suddenly-huge/58e2cfaa-ea87-4568-bda9-104767b1d763
  7. "news and interests" now suddenly huge??

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. how do I prevent articles a month old from appearing in the "News and Interests" taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I prevent articles a month old from appearing in the "News and Interests" taskbar?: how do I prevent articles a month old from appearing in the "News and Interests" taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-prevent-articles-a-month-old-from/1ed3dcbf-547e-4a19-8dad-691915e8d4ee
  9. how do I prevent articles a month old from appearing in the "News and Interests" taskbar?

how do I prevent articles a month old from appearing in the "News and Interests" taskbar?: how do I prevent articles a month old from appearing in the "News and Interests" taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-prevent-articles-a-month-old-from/1ed3dcbf-547e-4a19-8dad-691915e8d4ee
  10. how do I prevent articles a month old from appearing in the "News and Interests" taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization