Windows 10: Interesting observation Re: disabling Hard Drives

Discus and support Interesting observation Re: disabling Hard Drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just noticed while investigating the disabling of hard drives in Device Manager in Win 10 that it doesn't require a reboot to set the status as is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dlwmacgregor, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Interesting observation Re: disabling Hard Drives

I just noticed while investigating the disabling of hard drives in Device Manager in Win 10 that it doesn't require a reboot to set the status as is necessary in Windows 7.
    Any idea why?

:)

dlwmacgregor, Jul 18, 2016

2. Activesync 4.5 connects to internet on sync

Interesting observation.

It does not appear to be true with my system. I did try disabling the internet connection ... no effect. I tried it with Outlook ON the OFF. A dialer never appeared nor was there any type of indication that it was trying to make a connection.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jul 18, 2016
  3. WIndows 10 Upgrade Problem "We couldn't update the system reserved partition".

SSD problems, 100m sys full windows won't install, Instead of a complete system wipe and re-install,

disable ssd boot in bios, boot to old hard drive go to drive config, format ssd 100 m sys file NTSF, insert windows cd in optic drive , reboot, disable old hard drive, re-enable ssd to boot in bios, boot to cd, repair, beboot, repair start up files, reboot
    problem solved, you now have 70% free space and win 10 will install easy peasy ( note 70% of the original 100m will be plenty freespace to solve ) It's quit possible this may work simply by booting to cd and run fix startup 2 or 3 times either way beats re-loading
    an entire system and having to updated and re-load everything.

DickWoolford, Jul 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Interesting observation Re: disabling Hard Drives

Because Windows 10 is better than Windows 7?

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    In recent years Microsoft has worked hard to reduce the need for a restart of the system. This is particularly important in a busy server where a restart can be very disruptive to normal operations. It can also be very disruptive for a client computer.

LMiller7, Jul 18, 2016
  6. I also noticed something else.
    One of the drives has an image copy of the Windows 7 installation that I used to upgrade to Windows 10 last July.
    It is not possible to disable this drive like I did the for the old XP drive.

Also...my USB backup drive (1 TB WD My Passport) shows twice in Windows Explorer. It also shows twice in Disk Manager but only one of the entries has an assigned drive letter.

I'll attach the screen captures here.

dlwmacgregor, Jul 18, 2016
  7. As you can see, if I boot into that image copy of Win7, I have disabled all but the boot drive (because I can't, obviously), including ERMA0 which contains Win10.

dlwmacgregor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Interesting observation Re: disabling Hard Drives

1. Interesting observation Re: disabling Hard Drives - Similar Threads - Interesting observation disabling

2. Disable hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable hard drive: Hi!I need to disable my secondary hard drive. I have already tried the device manager and disk management methods to disable it but the problem that I'm facing is that the "disable" option for that hard drive is itself disabled, i.e., it doesn't show up when I right-click on...
  3. Disable hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable hard drive: Hi!I need to disable my secondary hard drive. I have already tried the device manager and disk management methods to disable it but the problem that I'm facing is that the "disable" option for that hard drive is itself disabled, i.e., it doesn't show up when I right-click on...
  4. Disable hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Hard crash, assume BSOD though not observed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard crash, assume BSOD though not observed: Running Windows 10 Version 21H1 (Build 19043.1052) Link to logs: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. I come back to the PC and it has crashed. Happening multiple times a day now. In error reporting it says: Shut down unexpectedly....
  6. Re-Partition Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-Partition Hard Drive?: Hello, since I first bought my new HP Pavilion it came set up with 118GB for the C drive and 931GB for the D drive. All of the software I install quickly takes up space in my C drive so I am constantly having to delete things to make room. I have a lot of software needed for...
  7. Re-enabling disabled hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-enabling disabled hard drive: Hi, I have a MSI Gaming Plus B450 motherboard with an AMD 3700x installed in my system. While re-installing the windows 10, I accidentally disabled a drive and tried to enable it again, but it says its a RAW disk and you have to format to continue using it. I have many...
  8. Advice re: new hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Advice re: new hard drive: I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix a problem PC. I may have to scrap the machine (as still cant be fixed) and i wanted to ask are these viable options for my new £765 drive. 1. buy a machine with an HHD and add my SSD drive as a...
  9. Advice re: new hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice re: new hard drive: I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix a problem PC. I may have to scrap the machine (as still cant be fixed) and i wanted to ask are these viable options for my new £765 drive. 1. buy a machine with an HHD and add my SSD drive as a...
  10. Interesting Observation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Interesting Observation: I reserved a copy of Win10 Upgrade for a Win8.1 Pro and on 7/30/15 files were downloaded but I delayed installing. Today I started it from the GWX icon in the Notification Area but to my surprise the $Windows.~BT Folder dated 7/30/15 [with files of 7/30/15] was gone and the...