Windows 10: Interesting Observation

Discus and support Interesting Observation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I reserved a copy of Win10 Upgrade for a Win8.1 Pro and on 7/30/15 files were downloaded but I delayed installing. Today I started it from the GWX icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Berton, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Berton Win User

Interesting Observation

I reserved a copy of Win10 Upgrade for a Win8.1 Pro and on 7/30/15 files were downloaded but I delayed installing. Today I started it from the GWX icon in the Notification Area but to my surprise the $Windows.~BT Folder dated 7/30/15 [with files of 7/30/15] was gone and the whole download started again, created a new $Windows.~BT Folder and most of the files in it are dated 8/12/15 with a few at 9/1/15.

:)

Berton, Sep 9, 2015

2. Contacts Filters

Interesting observation Brent!

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Sep 9, 2015
  3. factory reset stuck on spinning gears

Interesting observation Phil

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Sep 9, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Interesting Observation

I think that the version, which you get via the download, should stay identical.

Can you confirm that the files in that folder still are those of the 10240 release?

Joergi, Sep 9, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    Not yet, it's still downloading. Probably will take about 3 more hours on my 1Mbps connection, about an average of 5 hours download on the 9 I've done so far then about an hour for all its setting up.

Berton, Sep 9, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    It's build 10240, Win10 Pro 64-bit.

Thought I'd add these images, first is the partitions as seen in Win8.1 and the second after Win10 finished installing:
    Attachment 36834
    Attachment 36836

Berton, Sep 10, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    Speculations:
    - The Win10 file load being served by MS has changed in content?
    - It did fresh download install and rollback folders to restart the clock counting down 30 days before they're autodeleted?

Word Man, Sep 10, 2015
  8. Berton Win User

Interesting Observation

The install.esd file did not change size so apparently nothing was added but maybe something was edited?
    Maybe, will know in a month. The installation in my other Desktop did remove the Windows.old Folder at 30 days, haven't checked my Notebooks yet, been too busy installing for other people. This installation has the Windows.old Folder at the same date as the Windows Folder, today. The difference from the first download to this today is between July 30, 2015 to Sept 10, 2015 with the actual install done today.

Create shortcut to Disk Manaagement:
    Right click anywhere on Desktop
    Click on New, Shortcut
    Type or paste: diskmgmt.msc
    Next screen Type Disk Manager or whatever.
    Click OK.
    Done.

Berton, Sep 10, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    Or, get everything you could desire by creating a new folder on the desktop and naming it:
    Code: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}[/quote] You could replace "GodMode" with whatever name you want.

Word Man, Sep 10, 2015
  10. essenbe Win User
    [youtube]RmngnLHTWrU[/youtube]

essenbe, Sep 10, 2015
  11. Don't forget that the installation process includes downloading updates released since the public release on 7/29.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 10, 2015
  12. Berton Win User
    I included that simple shortcut as there seems to be a lot of interest in the partitioning done by Win10 and I didn't include the "God Mode" thing as it appears to be much more than most users need, many wouldn't understand a lot of the features. It's the same as I used in Win7 and Win8.1. Also involved is the fact an icon for My Computer/My PC/This Computer/This PC is a bit more difficult to locate in Win10 but quite easy to simply open File Explorer and right-click This PC then click Manage. But again quite a few users don't do much in file management [Windows Explorer in Win7 and earlier, File Explorer in Win8/8.1 and later], only do Internet browsing and E-Mail. I never had an issue with Program Manager and File Manager back in Windows 3.1x but Microsoft likes to play naming games.

Berton, Sep 10, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Interesting Observation

Why don't you just make a USB flash drive or DVD of Windows 10 and use that for upgrades?

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2015
  14. Berton Win User
    I do for each computer AFTER I've done the Free Upgrade so I can do clean installs later on when necessary. A number of the computers belonged to clients and I'm just trying to protect them as best I can.

Berton, Sep 10, 2015
  15. Word Man Win User
    You can use the media NavyLCDR mentions for doing both upgrades and clean installs, as long as the media has the correct edition, version and bitness (32/64). Would seem more efficient for a number of client computers to have that media used for initial upgrade.

You might want to see NavyLCDR's post # 5 in this thread: https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...ation-usb.html

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Interesting Observation

1. Interesting Observation - Similar Threads - Interesting Observation

2. Windows 11 News and Interest Widget - how to change speed of the news tiles?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 News and Interest Widget - how to change speed of the news tiles?: I'm on windows 11. i like the weather icon on the taskbar. When I click on it, it shows a full screen of weather and tiles that link to news and ugh ads. However, the news tiles refresh way too quickly before I'm able to read through them. Is there any way to change or...
  3. Windows 11 News and Interest Widget - how to change speed of the news tiles?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 News and Interest Widget - how to change speed of the news tiles?: I'm on windows 11. i like the weather icon on the taskbar. When I click on it, it shows a full screen of weather and tiles that link to news and ugh ads. However, the news tiles refresh way too quickly before I'm able to read through them. Is there any way to change or...
  4. Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details: When I opened the News & Interest and clicked on Traffic Incident to get more info, doesn't matter where I clicked: The Title, the "See More", nothing happened. Please let me know how can I view the details?...
  5. Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details

Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details: When I opened the News & Interest and clicked on Traffic Incident to get more info, doesn't matter where I clicked: The Title, the "See More", nothing happened. Please let me know how can I view the details?...
  6. Traffic Incident within the News & Interest will not give me details

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. "news and interests" now suddenly huge??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "news and interests" now suddenly huge??: what the hell? why is it suddenly so giant? what's going on here? it was not like this for me before, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/news-and-interests-now-suddenly-huge/58e2cfaa-ea87-4568-bda9-104767b1d763
  8. "news and interests" now suddenly huge??

"news and interests" now suddenly huge??: what the hell? why is it suddenly so giant? what's going on here? it was not like this for me before, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/news-and-interests-now-suddenly-huge/58e2cfaa-ea87-4568-bda9-104767b1d763
  9. "news and interests" now suddenly huge??

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Interesting observation Re: disabling Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Interesting observation Re: disabling Hard Drives: I just noticed while investigating the disabling of hard drives in Device Manager in Win 10 that it doesn't require a reboot to set the status as is necessary in Windows 7. Any idea why? 56741