Windows 10: Interesting question here about bricking older hdd's :/

Discus and support Interesting question here about bricking older hdd's :/ in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Very weird discussion going on here I thought I would share in case someone has the same issue, build 9879 bricking drives!!!! - Microsoft Community... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ThrashZone, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Interesting question here about bricking older hdd's :/

ThrashZone, Nov 20, 2014

2. Questions About Here

hmm looks like it is missing alot of features. Hope they get added soon.

I guessing that you can share favorites with Cortana's place as well?

Also does it have voice commands? Say there is construction and I need to find a new way. Can I tell it about the detour?

chobo2---01, Nov 20, 2014
  3. Abi99 (2) Win User
    Questions About Here

Somehow. Actually, HERE Drive is a spin-off of HERE Maps, to faciliate and concentrate on the voice-guided car navigation. It is a different entry-point into the various HERE apps.

Symbian: yes, Web: yes, Windows Phone: no

You get a notification in your phone when you open one of the HERE apps. In the past, we got updates around every quarter, sometimes half a year.

Web: yes; Windows Phone: no

You see your backup at here.com.

Abi99 (2), Nov 20, 2014
  4. Rickkins Win User

Interesting question here about bricking older hdd's :/

The build that just keeps on giving...

Rickkins, Nov 20, 2014
  5. Edwin New Member
    *Roflmao2

Edwin, Nov 20, 2014
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Beta software having issues, who would think it possible..

Jeff *Wink

BunnyJ, Nov 21, 2014
  7. BillyBob Win User
    It's not just older HDDs, bought a brand new SSD just for the Preview. Started from the first build, just a few glitches, but when I updated to 9879 I started having problems immediately.
    File Explorer wouldn't work at all and the machine started to crash, BSODs etc. So I put Windows 8.1 on there as well to see if there was something wrong with the drive, everything went well with the dual boot, but things started going wrong and ultimately the SSD wouldn't boot anymore.
    I looked in the BIOS and the new SSD wouldn't show up, I thought it was toast, so I put it into a USB caddy and I could read it. Put it back in the PC and it wouldn't work, then a few hours later it booted up into a BSOD.
    I'm not game to try it again in case I kill it, so I'll probably completely reformat and put Windows 8.1 back on for a while if its not dead already.
    When I am game to try again, and they bring out a new release I might go on the slow ring.

I've been using and testing bettas etc for a long time, this is the worst release I've ever seen. I'll try again, but Ill wait for the next release.

BillyBob, Nov 21, 2014
  8. badrobot Win User

I don't think any hard drive is being bricked. It's all just the same issue as with keyboard light not working (even with my Microsoft keyboard), etc. It's just a driver issue. We shouldn't expect 3rd party drivers to work smoothly with new win 10 OS builds. These drivers will be fixed by manufacturers when Win 10 is officially released. No manufacturer right now is updating any driver for Win 10. It's completely useless to do since MS keeps releasing new builds. I have 6 HDDs (old and new) , 4 SSDs, 5 external drives where a lot of them played a role on my Win 10 installation but I never had a single issue with any of them except on build 9860 where some of my hard drives are being recognized as compact flash, SD card, etc. But I was able to fix it with clean installation.

Sluggishness is a different story. It's just an update problem where some parts of the OS are not properly installed or corrupted. Maybe due to poor internet connection, etc. Sluggishness problem can be resolved by clean installation. Or probably hardware upgrade.

Like BunnyJ said, it's a beta OS.

badrobot, Nov 21, 2014
  9. BillyBob Win User
    I'm absolutely 100% sure that if your HDD continually won't show up in the BIOS, it's bricked. If Windows can't see your drive how can you install anything on it.

BillyBob, Nov 21, 2014
  10. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto

11. badrobot Win User
    If the hard drive is invisible on other machines when attached externally then it's probably bricked. But if that conclusion is based only on a single machine, there is also SATA controller hardware issue or SATA driver corruption.

badrobot, Nov 21, 2014
  12. CountMike New Member
    Haven't run into any trouble like that yet, inside and portable drives, using 3 inside and about 10 thru USB adapter. On the other hand none of my computers use UEFI, might be a problem with that.

CountMike, Nov 21, 2014
  13. BillyBob Win User

If the hard drive is invisible on other machines when attached externally then it's probably bricked. But if that conclusion is based only on a single machine, there is also SATA controller hardware issue or SATA driver corruption. There's nothing wrong with the Sata controller, other drives on the same machine work no probs. I'm not saying it is bricked, but it came very close I think, I certainly won't be running 9879 on it again.

At least half a dozen BSODs and not showing up in the BIOS arent very healthy for a new drive. I've been using Windows since DOS and DOS before that and I've never seen anything like this before. Normally I would have thought it's the drive, but it seems quite a few other people are experiencing this, so it's not the drive.

BillyBob, Nov 21, 2014
  14. BillyBob Win User
    I don't have UEFI, so it's not that either, all I did was update 9860 to 9879 and the problems started. The SSD is new and all it had on it was TP, there werent many Apps and programmes on it either.

Hopefully the drive is still okay and when Microsoft puts out another release I'll put that on it and cross my fingers.

BillyBob, Nov 21, 2014
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

It's almost impossible to Brick any HDD unless you can actually access its firmware which isn't generally possible when running an OS like Windows. Sounds a bit like people saying their cars wouldn't start on Jan 1 2000 (Y2K) or planes would drop out of the sky.

The best way IMO to repair a "seemingly Bricked HDD" is to grab yourself any Linux live CD distro (Linux Mint is a good easy one), and boot it up from a USB stick. Then simply run GPARTED which will give you a decent GUI to re-create and format the HDD again (with NTFS if you want as well).

If you are uncomfortable with Linux live Distros you can create a USB bootable version of GPARTED.

GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk device partitions

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 21, 2014
Thema:

1. Interesting question here about bricking older hdd's :/ - Similar Threads - Interesting question here

2. An interesting question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    An interesting question: Dear Microsoft!Excuse me, but I would really like to know how you can explain the following statement, which is well known and has been published in many official places, that Windows 10 is the last one officially announced by Microsoft, i.e. there will be no more 11, 12 and...
  3. Where to post about an audio/audio cable question? Possibly here?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Where to post about an audio/audio cable question? Possibly here?: I have a receiver that has RCA type connectors for 5.1, is there a way to connect the three 3.5mm surround sound connections (side,read and C/Sub) from a soundcard to this setup? Example of receiver connections I have:https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.co...ctions-960.jpg...
  4. about the verbatim HDD

about the verbatim HDD: Hello, i have verbatim 1TB hdd but when i connect to computer it shows only 93 gb of capacity. What has happened ? should i format the hdd or is there any other solutions? the model number of hdd is 535058 1TB verbatim...
  5. A question about using older windows shells...

in Windows 10 Customization
    A question about using older windows shells...: Hi all, Classic shell gets old after a while, and after testing Cairo and disliking it I thought "I wonder if I can take all the shell files for explorer and stuff on an older version from and use them on Windows 10." So here's my question: If I were to take all the...
  6. HDD is about to die

HDD is about to die: I wont be able to tell which one it is because I have 2 or 3 of the same drive, is it ok to keep it plugged in once it dies though? HD Sentinel reports it has Current health: 18 % Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring HITACHI HDT721010SLA360 138968
  7. Query about Virtual Here

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Query about Virtual Here: I wonder what Virtual Here is and do I need it on my Windows 10 laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/query-about-virtual-here/f4ad489e-31e0-4726-a0e9-f07f55c2570a"
  8. About HDD Noise

About HDD Noise: I got these type of noises from where my HDD located (HDD No:- WD10JPVX-60JC3T0). Does anyone have any idea what type of sound is this? (like, clicking noise, head stuck noise, torn head noise, platter scratch noise, etc) When the system boots up:-...
  9. HDD & Questions

HDD & Questions: Hi. I Just want to ask: Is there is a way that my HDD's memory can be added to my laptop's internal memory without unscrewing the whole thing? (Made by Toshiba and Serial Number: 11364496) How I can view my asked questions on the microsoft page? Thanks, always waiting...
  10. New here with question about windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    New here with question about windows 10: Hi. new here, and I have a question about windows 10. I am planning a new build in the next few weeks, can I download windows 10 for free and install it on the new build. I am now running windows 7 home premium. I do not have sp1 though. I have read the instructions for...