Windows 10: Intermingling of Office installs.

Discus and support Intermingling of Office installs. in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Legal copy of Office 2013 installed. Time to update. Tried Office 365 on a trial basis, decided to cancel trial and uninstall. I purchased Office 2016... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by meebers, Apr 7, 2017.

1. meebers Win User

Intermingling of Office installs.

Legal copy of Office 2013 installed. Time to update. Tried Office 365 on a trial basis, decided to cancel trial and uninstall. I purchased Office 2016 Pro+ to install. Uninstalled Office 2013 via control panel. Installed Office 2016 without issue, activated etc. Now I am getting notices to renew Office 365 from within Office 2016 as well as many internal windows to the program still thinks I am on Office 365. I need a way to completely uninstall all traces of Office?

One additional thought, since I am using my MS account from the past installs, is it causing the intermingling?

:)

meebers, Apr 7, 2017
  2. AZCooley Win User

Printer showing offline

My printer won't show as online. I tried to reboot everything, it still shows offline. I troubleshoot and sometimes as it spools it prints, most of the time it won't. I have been trying to delete the entire device and it won't delete. It just sits
    there. But if I go in through the device manager, it isn't listed there. UGH! Do I just need a bigger hammer?

I am also dealing with Office and the NOT RESPONDING issue continually. Is this all intermingled?

AZCooley, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Can you reserve Windows 10, not upgrade for over a year, and still get it?

What if I make a hard drive image pre-update, go through the full Windows 10 update, then after a day or so of letting it intermingle with Microsoft's servers, revert back to my Windows 7 image?

KingWumpus, Apr 7, 2017
  4. ondablade Win User

Hi M. I can't assist directly or in any specific sense. (I have a thread running just now which relates to similar issues - access to 365 Office Business Premium from the various categories of Windows/Microsoft account).

Kari plans to come back with information - it may bring more of interest to the table.

So far as I can so far tell there's three different categories of account. That's Local/PC based (with log in on request to wherever as in days gone by), then Personal (what Win 10 sets up by default if you do what you are told on a single PC), and then Work/Business. (what you get if you buy a subscription to Office 365 Business Premium, it may be intended for use by a group of users)

So far as I can tell from digging around each account type functions entirely sparately from the other. As though it was with a different company/service provider. While there are (not very clearly defined) overlaps (e.g. some applications may be accessible from all account types) it seems there's no integration/nothing (perhaps short of removal) that will stop one running just because you set up the next.

It's a mess, and all very badly handled by Microsoft - whose marketing driven efforts to force use of the set ups they want/to drive use of the annual subscription model/presumption in dictating certain set ups that you will have stock one size fits all requirements cause lots of hassle.

Quite why a spade can never be a spade, and quite why the normal step of stripping out complexity is never taken is a mystery, since p***ing off customers is no way to inspire loyalty.

It's (probably for related reasons) not well handled by hosting providers either based on my limited experience - and it takes considerable expertise to unravel when problems arise. Some seem to have an account set up sequence that works starting from a clean install, but if (as we both seem to have done) you stray from this path it's tough to get the resulting confusion unravelled.

One very big complicating factor is that the structuring of the system is never really explained, a second is that the terminology is highly ambiguous. For example the term Office 365 seems to relate to both stand alone and subscription based products and accounts.

Another layer of confusion can seemingly arise because it's possible to use the same e-mail addresses and perhaps also log in details for each category of account.

The result is that when you find procedures written up on the web, or in the Microsoft help pages you never quite know which they refer to. My experience anyway....

ondablade, Apr 7, 2017
  5. meebers Win User
    Ondablade, thanks for sharing those thoughts. I agree 100%. I did a best effort to "clean out" past installs of Office 2013 and Office 365 before this new installation. MS has a "how to" web site to do this, but in the end the instructions say to go to control panel/programs and features and do the uninstall there. Nothing special about this as to me it is the normal way of doing it. I did notice a message after the uninstall finished, was a suggestion to restart the computer "to tidy things up"?? I did breeze thru some of the registry looking for any trace amounts of office. I also ran CCleaner registry cleaner and it found some non associated and links that were broken. I presumed I was good to go for the clean install and perhaps I was. I believe the mistake was to associate it with the account credentials of the previous builds. At the end of the install, and prior to activation, it presented me with a screen to identify the user and product key etc. My name/email was already filled in. This is where I think the mingling has its source, somewhere on a MS server/data base? I have inserted a screen shot of the Office account page and you can clearly see the mingling.

meebers, Apr 7, 2017
  6. meebers Win User
    Finally got it all sorted out. The account screen now looks as it should be.

meebers, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Intermingling of Office installs. - Similar Threads - Intermingling Office installs

2. installing Office 2021

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installing Office 2021: I am in the process of installing Office 2021. According to the directions i need to uninstall the previous version.Questions; if the download does not work, how do I recover the previous version?...
  3. office install problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    office install problem: I have a new laptop with Windows 11, trying to install Office LTSC 2021. Install screen pops up, stops and disappears. Nothing happens. I have turned off S-mode. What am I missing?? We are a small non-profit....
  4. Office 2021 installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 2021 installation: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,How to install Office 2021 to another drive other than C drive from offline installer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-2021-installation/7f1c8248-6934-4c0a-97e5-ff6aeecc6ed5
  5. Office 2021 installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 2021 installation: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,How to install Office 2021 to another drive other than C drive from offline installer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-2021-installation/7f1c8248-6934-4c0a-97e5-ff6aeecc6ed5
  6. INSTALLING OFFICE

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    INSTALLING OFFICE: I TRIED TO INSTALL OFFICE AND IT GAVE AN ERROR MESSAGE I WAS DIRECTED TO CALL THE 800 # WHERE IS LED ME TO THIS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-office/73a6879a-10d5-4f9f-865c-0b9e386652df
  7. installing microsoft office

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    installing microsoft office: I purchased microsoft office and it doesnt seem to install on my home pc just my lap top https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-microsoft-office/900a1a05-8bb6-441a-a8d7-74279b2d0acf
  8. INSTALLING OFFICE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    INSTALLING OFFICE: Trouble installing Office Home & Student tells me its already installed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-office/ebaa83fa-6499-4d63-b833-164e24a51982
  9. Office 2019 install

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2019 install: I think by the older I get the dumber I get. Want to install parts office 2019, Word, Excel Power Point, Outlook and the office tools. I downloaded the install tool but very lost on how to use it. Has anyone tried this,maybe some help if you have time. My source of the iso...
  10. Office Lens will not install

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office Lens will not install: The installation of Office Lens is stuck every time at 20.60 KB. I am trying to re-install it because it won't launch ---- right at the start it reported 'something is wrong' and falsely claimed the camera was in use by another app. I tried with both cameras & I have...