Windows 10: Intermittent freeze on startup

Discus and support Intermittent freeze on startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have had this issue since I bought the machine a year ago. It has occurred intermittently from the very first fresh install of Windows 10 (without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dpa99c, May 31, 2016.

1. dpa99c Win User

Intermittent freeze on startup

I have had this issue since I bought the machine a year ago. It has occurred intermittently from the very first fresh install of Windows 10 (without connecting to the internet), so almost certain it's not due to malware but more likely a driver/hardware issue.

4/5 times when my PC restarts, it gets as far as the Windows desktop but then hangs:
    - the mouse cursor moves
    - right clicking brings up the popup menu, but it's half-transparent and non-functional
    - some of the task bar icons appear but not all
    - the system is unusable: applications can't be started/used
    - the start menu doesn't work

My solution until now has been to restart until finally this doesn't happen and from then on the system works fine. However, I try to avoid restarting the machine as much as possible due to this annoyance, so would really like to fix it.

Here are relevant log extracts from a couple of failed boot attempts where the freeze occurred:
    - Application event log
    - System event log
    - ntbtlog.txt

The main recurrent system log error seems to be:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date: 01/06/2016 08:42:31
    Event ID: 10005
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: Dave-New-PC
    Description:
    DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service TermService with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
    {F9A874B6-F8A8-4D73-B5A8-AB610816828B}
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">10005</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-01T07:42:31.687410800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>177783</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="756" ThreadID="920" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Dave-New-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">1084</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">TermService</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">Unavailable</Data>
    <Data Name="param4">{F9A874B6-F8A8-4D73-B5A8-AB610816828B}</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

If any more info is required to diagnose this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

:)

dpa99c, May 31, 2016
  2. DaveAlden Win User

Windows 10 intermittent freeze on startup

I suggest you install all the drivers for your system from the manufacturer’s website in the below link and check if it helps: GA-Z97M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

I have downloaded and installed all the drivers on that page. The problem still persists.

Method 1: I suggest you to perform the system maintenance troubleshooter. It will resolve the common system problems.

1. Tap on Windows Key and click on search bar.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on Troubleshooting.

3. Then click on System and Security.

4. Click on System Maintenance.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue still persist, refer to the below method.

I have carried this out as above (see result below). The problem still persists.

Intermittent freeze on startup [​IMG]

Method 2: Run the System File Checker and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key. Click on search bar.

2. Type “CMD” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.

3. Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.

4. Type “sfc /scannow” and hit on Enter Key.

I have carried this out as above (see result below). The problem still persists.

Method 3: If doesn't work, I would suggest you to perform the below methods and check if it helps.

2. Type "CMD" without the quotes and right click on it.

3. Select Run as Administrator.

4. Type the following command to Repair corruption:

Dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

The original issue still persists after carrying out all the above steps. I have
    made a video to illustrate where it gets stuck - as you can see the taskbar icons stop loading and right-clicking brings up a semi-transparent popup menu with no content. Attempting to launch
    any application results in a blank window frame which is displayed indefinitely and cannot be closed. I've left the machine in this state for 12 hours and it did not resolve. Restarting multiple times is the only solution. Approximately 1 out of 5 restarts
    is successful and the issue does not occur. The machine functions fine after a successful start.

DaveAlden, May 31, 2016
  3. Windows 10 intermittent freeze on startup

Hi Dave,

I am sorry for the delay.

I suggest you install all the drivers for your system from the manufacturer’s website in the below link and check if it helps:

GA-Z97M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps:

Method 1: I suggest you to perform the system maintenance troubleshooter. It will resolve the common system problems.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Then click on System and Security.

4. Click on System Maintenance.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Run the System File Checker and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key. Click on search bar.

2. Type “CMD” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.

3. Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.

4. Type “sfc /scannow” and hit on Enter Key.

Method 3: If doesn't work, I would suggest you to perform the below methods and check if it helps.

2. Type "CMD" without the quotes and right click on it.

3. Select Run as Administrator.

4. Type the following command to Repair corruption:

Dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Hope your issue will be resolved.

Let us know if you have any queries in the future, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, May 31, 2016
Thema:

Intermittent freeze on startup

1. Intermittent freeze on startup - Similar Threads - Intermittent freeze startup

2. intermittent freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    intermittent freezing: Because my computer had become very slow I recently performed a complete re-install of Windows, Office 365 and Photoshop. I deleted unwanted data files and performed defrag. No other software was installed. This seemed to work initially. However, over about a week problems...
  3. intermittent freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    intermittent freezing: Because my computer had become very slow I recently performed a complete re-install of Windows, Office 365 and Photoshop. I deleted unwanted data files and performed defrag. No other software was installed. This seemed to work initially. However, over about a week problems...
  4. intermittent freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently: The issue, I normally startup steam, Firefox, and Discord on my computer. This is a custom build, and I will list all of the components below.MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon MSI motherboard MS-7b9364 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 RAM AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 core processor 4276 Mhz EVGA GTX...
  6. Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently: The issue, I normally startup steam, Firefox, and Discord on my computer. This is a custom build, and I will list all of the components below.MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon MSI motherboard MS-7b9364 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 RAM AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 core processor 4276 Mhz EVGA GTX...
  7. Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently

8. Computer intermittently freezes

Computer intermittently freezes: Computer intermittently freezes and I have to shut it down completely by removing power from the computer. Unable to access task manager, the mouse cursor is non functional, and the power button does not do anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you....
  9. Odd intermittent freezing

Odd intermittent freezing: Hi! About a month ago I started suffering from BSODs (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION) whilst using Prepar3d v5 (Flight Simulator). These occurred within 2-30 minutes of starting a flight and seemed to only affect one particular aircraft....
  10. Intermittent Startup Sound

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent Startup Sound: When I start my computer, sometimes the Startup Sound plays & sometimes it doesn't. There's no difference in the way I shut down the computer each time, 'Play Windows Startup Sound' in my Sound Schemes has always been checked; this is just baffling to me as to why the sound...