Windows 10: Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement

Discus and support Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, The cursor on my laptop freezes every few seconds when I move it. This happens with both my bluetooth mouse and my inbuilt touchpad. I know the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LexGrant, Dec 4, 2017.

1. LexGrant Win User

Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement

Hi,

The cursor on my laptop freezes every few seconds when I move it. This happens with both my bluetooth mouse and my inbuilt touchpad. I know the laptop is freezing and not just the cursor because if I run an app with a progress bar it also freezes at the same time as the cursor. The freezing only seems to happen when I move the cursor.

The freezing is just momentary (like it pauses for a second and then goes on as normal). I do not have to do anything to get it to unfreeze.

I have tried re-installing the drivers for mouse and touch pad.

I have defragged and cleaned up the HD.

I have tried doing a system restore but just get an error (I only have 1 restore point because I stupidly deleted them to create space I didnt need in case it was a space issue).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

:)

LexGrant, Dec 4, 2017

2. Intel Remote Keyboard - Specifically 'vhostcontroller.sys' BSOD

Since the big Win 10 update a few months back (Dec'17?) I've been experiencing intermittent BSODs. I'm pretty sure that I have determined the culprit to be 'vhostcontroller.sys', which I think is part of the Intel Remote Keyboard software install. Why do
    I think this? A recent update of the Remote Keyboard has caused the cursor to become erratic in it's movement; and the BSOD happens during a cursor operation like highlighting or grabbing.

Can this be easibly fixed?

Gimpinchair, Dec 4, 2017
  3. Cursor slow to respond

I've recently upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After the upgrade, I noticed that after pressing almost any key on the keyboard, the cursor freezes for approximately three seconds before responding. Responsiveness of clicks has not changed
    however, only movement.

RichmondLam, Dec 4, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Try removing the Bluetooth dongle and see if the problem persists using just the touchpad. If Bluetooth is incorporated as standard then try turning it off... how you do that may depend on what you see for your PC but typically it can be done from Action Centre.

How To Turn ON/OFF Bluetooth In Windows 10 PC / Laptop | Step By Step Guide

Also, do you have any other permanently connected devices such as USB drives or even flash drives. If so, remove them all and see if the problem with the touchpad still occurs.

Mooly, Dec 5, 2017
  5. LexGrant Win User
    I have a USB BT dongle and removed it but still get the freezing with the touch pad.

There is nothing else connected externally.

I have tried it on and off mains power. Still the same.

LexGrant, Dec 5, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    That sounds like a more deep seated issue, perhaps something you have installed is intermittently running and using all available resources.

It may be worth you opening Task Manager (Press Ctrl > Shift >Esc together) and see if anything unusual appears. This shows task manager, the spike was when I opened it, all is quiet afterwards. If you have lots of CPU or Disk activity then click the appropriate item and see what is using all the resources. You can also view the 'Processes' tab in Task Manager which will list what is using what.

Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement [​IMG]

Mooly, Dec 6, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan
    5) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

4) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

5) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

6) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

7) Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use.
    a) Are the boots faster or slower?
    b) Are the shutdowns faster or slower?
    c) How has the audio and video performance changed? Is it better, worse, or the same?
    d) How had the freezing mouse cursor changed? Is it better, worse, or the same?
    e) Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

zbook, Dec 6, 2017
  8. LexGrant Win User

Here is the CPU:

The 2nd blip was when I maximised chrome.

There is only 2 things that I installed recently.

AVG free - which I uninstalled and used the AVG cleaner.
    There was a Windows 10 upgrade - not sure if the blips started at the same time but it was definitly in the vicinity of.

I went through the start menu and uninstalled a whole bunch of stuff that windows had installed on there, such as games, calendar apps etc. Still no difference.

LexGrant, Dec 6, 2017
  9. mb1280 Win User
    Periodically, lint gets in my mouse, and covers where the red light is, that it uses to track. I clean that off, and it's back smooth operation.

mb1280, Dec 6, 2017
  10. LexGrant Win User
    Here are steps 1 to 4. I ran out of time to complete the next steps so will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.98](c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.16299.15Image Version: 10.0.16299.98[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.The operation completed successfully.C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.16299.15Image Version: 10.0.16299.98[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.C:\WINDOWS\system32>

LexGrant, Dec 7, 2017
  11. Mooly Win User
    Thanks.

So it looks like there is nothing obviously hammering the CPU. I honestly don't know what to suggest, at least nothing quick.

If I were faced with this I would now make a disk image of the PC as it stands (easy to do), and which is something you can recover back to if needed.

I would then clean install W10 using the official MediaCreation Tool which basically creates a bootable USB flash drive with W10. From there you can clean install (which totally wipes everything on the drive first).

Some might see that as a last resort, others as the first thing to do on getting a new PC, simply because it removes all the junk that comes pre-packaged with most PC's.

Maybe someone else has other ideas as to what you could try first though.

Mooly, Dec 7, 2017
  12. mb1280 Win User
    mb1280, Dec 7, 2017
  13. mb1280 Win User

I would also try un-plugging everything, then see if it runs with just the OS:

1.) Start / Run / msconfig / Services tab / [check] Hide all Microsoft Services - Disable All / Apply - Ok

2a.) CCleaner / Tools / Startup / Disable All

2b.) Avast won't let you Disable it here, you have to in the Notification Tray - Avast Shield Control / Disable Permanently

3.) Disable other anti-virus or anti-malware software

Do a Restart

Works now?

Reverse the above if it does

- - - - -

What about Safe Mode?

- - - - -

Re-install the OS? I've never had to. In my mind, that would only be necessary if:

a.) You went into the Windows folder, and randomly deleted things

b.) You used CCleaner to clean the Registry, or Disk Cleanup to clean System Files, and now

. . . . . 1.) DISM doesn't complete without error (and it's important to you that it does - but a fresh install is not a guarantee of this), or

. . . . . 2.) Some program doesn't work properly

mb1280, Dec 7, 2017
  14. apeshake Win User
    Hi, I've just found this thread as I've been having the same issue - I'm not sure when it started but it's been a problem on and off for around 6 months now. I've yet to find a solution - since a reboot usually fixes the issue for a while I generally just get back to work until it occurs again. It's very frustrating.

QuietPC where I got the system from suggested getting rid of google chrome and for a while I thought that had helped but I'm still getting the short freezes (less often i think) using firefox. It's very hard to pin down since it only happens once in a while and if I was to start up the system in safe mode or similar, I would have to run the computer perhaps playing youtube videos or something for hours or even a day before I could be sure.

I use the pc for music and animation and I do require a fair amount of software installed which is another reason I'm hoping to pinpoint the cause without stripping my system and doing a fresh install - I'll be looking through these replies and trying anything that doesn't require a re-install, and watching to see if the OP finds a fix!

apeshake, Dec 7, 2017
  15. LexGrant Win User
    So I have good news and bad news regarding this thread.

Good news: in-between running zbook's suggestions in command prompt I was writing an email to Amazon in Chrome when my computer crashed. The screen went black and only the white cursor was visible. The screen flashed a few times and then went back to normal (with my email missing). From then on my computer was working properly. I gave it a couple of days of use to make sure this wasn't momentary blip.

Bad news: I have no idea what solved this. All zbook's command prompt checks came back clean.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Apeshake I hope you find a resolution.

LexGrant, Dec 8, 2017
Thema:

1. Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement - Similar Threads - Intermittent Freezing linked

2. Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery [REDUX}

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery [REDUX}: * Previous thread: Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozenThis is the original post on Dec 22, 2022:New build PC. Mouse will occasionally freeze and is jittery while frozen. Switching to a different mouse has no affect. I use a Kensington Expert...
  3. Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery [REDUX}

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery [REDUX}: This is the original post on Dec 22, 2022:New build PC. Mouse will occasionally freeze and is jittery while frozen. Switching to a different mouse has no affect. I use a Kensington Expert wireless trackball but I have tried removing it and it's associated software. Removed it...
  4. Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery [REDUX}

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery [REDUX}: This is the original post on Dec 22, 2022:New build PC. Mouse will occasionally freeze and is jittery while frozen. Switching to a different mouse has no affect. I use a Kensington Expert wireless trackball but I have tried removing it and it's associated software. Removed it...
  5. Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozen

Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozen: New build PC. Mouse will occasionally freeze and is jittery while frozen. Switching to a different mouse has no affect. I use a Kensington Expert wireless trackball but I have tried removing it and it's associated software. Removed it from Device manager. It still happens...
  6. Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozen: New build PC. Mouse will occasionally freeze and is jittery while frozen. Switching to a different mouse has no affect. I use a Kensington Expert wireless trackball but I have tried removing it and it's associated software. Removed it from Device manager. It still happens...
  7. Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozen

8. intermittent freezing

intermittent freezing: Because my computer had become very slow I recently performed a complete re-install of Windows, Office 365 and Photoshop. I deleted unwanted data files and performed defrag. No other software was installed. This seemed to work initially. However, over about a week problems...
  9. intermittent freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    intermittent freezing: Because my computer had become very slow I recently performed a complete re-install of Windows, Office 365 and Photoshop. I deleted unwanted data files and performed defrag. No other software was installed. This seemed to work initially. However, over about a week problems...
  10. Mouse Cursor movement issues.

Mouse Cursor movement issues.: So, when I use my mouse for video games, like Overwatch or TF2, and I try to move my mouse fast it moves fast for a second, than it slows down the sensitivity where it looks like I'm spinning slowly, than it stops at where it was supposed to. the issue is that it goes slow...