Windows 10: Intermittent non-functioning Start, Notification???

Discus and support Intermittent non-functioning Start, Notification??? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why is it that sometimes the Start and Notification icons are inactive? When this happens, I restart the computer and all is well again???? 39024 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flycaster, Jan 28, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Intermittent non-functioning Start, Notification???

Why is it that sometimes the Start and Notification icons are inactive? When this happens, I restart the computer and all is well again????

:)

flycaster, Jan 28, 2016
  2. Arul_D Win User

non-functioning start menu

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps mentioned in the Microsoft help article and check if it helps.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Do get back to us with the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, Jan 28, 2016
  3. non-functioning start menu

Launch File Explorer (WinKey + E) and browse this folder:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

Right-click PowerShell.exe, and click Run as Administrator.

Copy the the following command-line, paste in PowerShell window, and press ENTER:

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

This re-installs the ShellExperienceHost which powers the Start menu and Taskbar.

If that doesn't help, here is another command which registers *all* the modern app packages in the system. But before proceeding, create a restore point, just in case.

Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 28, 2016
  4. sunberg Win User

Some people advise for permanent fix of this issue to reboot into safe mode with networking and then back into normal mode. Try it..

sunberg, Jan 28, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, Jan 28, 2016
  6. flycaster Win User
    Ran scan, no integrity problems...

flycaster, Jan 28, 2016
  7. sunberg Win User
    Have you tried my advice above - reboot into safe mode with networking and back ?

sunberg, Jan 29, 2016
  8. flycaster Win User

No, haven't tried yet as this is an intermittent problem that hasn't been occurring that often. However, I'll give it a try the next time the gremlins attack.

flycaster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Intermittent non-functioning Start, Notification??? - Similar Threads - Intermittent non functioning

2. Non functioning microphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non functioning microphone: microphone is not working. video recording is working without audio. * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/non-functioning-microphone/b60c63ed-8832-4a9a-9fde-8da4c83a72cf
  3. Bluetooth driver non-functioning

Bluetooth driver non-functioning: I recently installed the newest version of the Bluetooth driver for my computer. After installing Bluetooth capability was disabled. Go to this link to install latest version again: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29460/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10...
  4. Non Functioning webcam

Non Functioning webcam: I have a Packard Bell TJ64 laptop which I bought in 2010. When I try to open the webcam it gives the error code 0xA00F4244camera not attached. It is not listed in the Device Manager. According to the Program List it is a Chicory version 1.7.82.1209. The Chicory website...
  5. OS is completely non-functional

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS is completely non-functional: So last night I started up my computer and almost immediately upon reaching my desktop, the system froze then gave me the bsod. Upon restarting, it automatically launched the windows automatic repair tool. It was making slow progress for a while, but upon some googling, I...
  6. HDMI port non-functional

HDMI port non-functional: After the 12/12/18 update the HDMI port stopped functioning. I found a fix on the Intel site on 12/17/18. The port stopped working again on 12/24 and I can't find a fix. What's up?...
  7. Troubleshooter non-functional

in Windows 10 Customization
    Troubleshooter non-functional: I just tried to run my troubleshooter, however says try again later. This is the first time I have ever seen this. Please advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshooter-non-functional/8756885e-989a-46f3-87b5-9c8170ef89dc
  8. Intermittent keyboard non-functioning

Intermittent keyboard non-functioning: I use a wireless mouse and keyboard. Every now and then, often enough to be irritating, the keyboard fails to function: the mouse works properly. The keyboard problem persists for a few minutes, after which it works again. There is no discernable pattern to this problem....
  9. Another PC with non working start / notification button

in Windows 10 Support
    Another PC with non working start / notification button: Another PC with non working start / notification button. It seems it happens out of the blue. I tried several suggested fixes without success. So will just wait till the next update. Hopefully that will solve the issue. As long as I get updates I will just shut down...
  10. Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons: I seem to remember running across a post here regarding the problem with a non-functioning Start Menu button and missing or non-functioning taskbar icons that indicated this issue had been fixed in the Anniversary Update. Well I don't think so. I was playing with a brand new...