Windows 10: Intermittent "Not connected to a network" errors while browsing

Discus and support Intermittent "Not connected to a network" errors while browsing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, new here and have a new windows 10 (factory installed) PC HP desktop computer with Comcast Wifi internet modem and wired Ethernet connection. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bigfoot, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Bigfoot Win User

Intermittent "Not connected to a network" errors while browsing

Hi, new here and have a new windows 10 (factory installed) PC HP desktop computer with Comcast Wifi internet modem and wired Ethernet connection.

I don't know much about computers, but I'm having a constant problem that I can't seem to solve. No computer experts close to me to help out, so I hope someone here has some simple advice for me.

While I'm browsing the web, I'm frequently getting a "not connected to an network" error page. If I wait a few seconds, the webpage resumes. If I'm in the middle of an action when this happens, it's lost and has to be redone. When I just clicked here on 'preview post', I got that error page. *Sad

When I look under my computer settings, I can see it say "Ethernet connected", then seconds later "Ethernet not connected.

My net adapter is Realtec PCIe FE Family Controller. I have disabled the Wifi adapter that was enabled by default, as I'm not using Wifi for anything.

Followed by the 'not connected to a network' error page, I often get the 'page cannot be displayed' error page. I'm using the free Norton Security Suite that came with my Comcast/Xfinity IP account, and IE11 or Edge browser.....same problems on both.

I hesitate to make any big changes on my computer, as I share it with my husband, and like I say, there's nobody close to us to help out if we get in a bind. I've done full system scans and have the latest updates.

My Ethernet cable was working fine, but I bought a new one a few days ago just to make sure, it's not the cable. On one screen on my computer settings, it was saying that my network cable was not connected. It is definitely connected.

Is anyone familiar with this problem with a Windows 10 computer? Didn't have such an issue on my older Windows 7 Lenovo computer. Any advice is appreciated.

:)

Bigfoot, Nov 21, 2016

2. my phone " keys in " some numbers while talking

As I said in my first post you can either try to update it's software to see if it cures it.

If it doesn't then your phone is faulty and you will need to get it repaired.

psychomania---01, Nov 21, 2016
  3. my phone " keys in " some numbers while talking

i contacted nokia who replied :

Thank you for emailing Nokia Care.

I appreciate your feedback. However, at the moment the Nokia Software Updater does not support Nokia 6080 nor Nokia 6070.

In response to your email, there are no issues with Nokia 6080 nor Nokia 6070. Please take both phones to your nearest Nokia Care Point. The technicians will assess if a repair is required and advise if this may be covered under the warranty.

went to carphone warehouse & explained the problem,

the lady i dealt with told me that this IS a problem she has seen over & over again.

because the phone was still within the 14day period they exchanged it for a different handset [for which i needed to fork out another load of £££'s. guess i should've spent more in the first place!!]

i asked what they will do with my returned phone,

she said it'll be added to the collection of them which need to send back to nokia.

perhaps nokia are in denial cause they havent had the stores returns yet?

anyway,

i hope everyone else will be fortunate enough to get a replacement.

kareldevelop, Nov 21, 2016
  4. Railtech Win User

You are loosing your ethernet connection intermittently. This can be any number of problems. What are you connected to for internet accesss? Router, modem, ? Is the connection from the source signal to the access point good? Contacting Comcast would be a good idea and explain the situation to them. If that fails to resolve the issue contact your PC manufacturer for further assistance.

Railtech, Nov 23, 2016
  5. Bigfoot Win User
    I have an Xfinity Wifi modem, that I think has a built in router. How would I check the connection from the source signal to the access point? Not very knowledgeable about computers here. Thanks for your advice.

Bigfoot, Nov 23, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    When it happens does the internet light show its connected on the router if it goes out its router connection fault if it's on does the light show the PC port connected if it goes out its a PC or cable fault

Samuria, Nov 23, 2016
  7. Railtech Win User
    Xfinity modems usually have a series of lights on them. In most cases they are marked but you have to look closely. Locate the one that says Online. That light should always stay illuminated and steady not blinking. If that light blinks on occasion or goes out and then comes back on then that would indicate a signal loss. If you do not witness that but your connection still drops then you have some other issue.

My next suspect would be a NIC driver issue.

Railtech, Nov 24, 2016
  8. Bigfoot Win User

Thank you both for your advice, much appreciated.

Bigfoot, Nov 24, 2016
  9. Bigfoot Win User
    Just an update. I looked around online for a simple solution and I found it, I no longer have the problem. I went to my power settings that were automatic power saver by default. I then changed it to 100 Mbps. full duplex, that didn't help, but I left it there, not interested in saving power if the computer wasn't functioning properly.

Saw a tip from a gamer in a video, and changed that setting again to 10 Mbps. full duplex. I'm not sure why, but since I did this I haven't been disconnecting all the time while browsing the internet, no Ethernet cable disconnected errors anymore. I'm very happy that's behind me. Thanks again to everyone here for your input and advice. *Smile

Bigfoot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Intermittent "Not connected to a network" errors while browsing - Similar Threads - Intermittent connected network

2. Network Errors While Connected to WiFi SUDDEN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Errors While Connected to WiFi SUDDEN: I have had my laptop for about 2 years now and have had zero issues and it would connect to websites and services as it usually would. The next day, I noticed that I began receiving a lot of ERR_CONNECTION_RESET, SSL, and DNS_PROBE errors on all of my browsers on multiple...
  3. Network Errors While Connected to WiFi SUDDEN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Errors While Connected to WiFi SUDDEN: I have had my laptop for about 2 years now and have had zero issues and it would connect to websites and services as it usually would. The next day, I noticed that I began receiving a lot of ERR_CONNECTION_RESET, SSL, and DNS_PROBE errors on all of my browsers on multiple...
  4. Network Errors While Connected to WiFi SUDDEN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. I cannot browse for networks while creating a shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot browse for networks while creating a shortcut: I can no longer see networks while trying to create a shortcut on my desktop. It worked until about three hours ago.I only see these two folders and no shared network devices.File Explorer does show networks and previously created shortcuts still work.I have two Win 11 and...
  6. I cannot browse for networks while creating a shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot browse for networks while creating a shortcut: I can no longer see networks while trying to create a shortcut on my desktop. It worked until about three hours ago.I only see these two folders and no shared network devices.File Explorer does show networks and previously created shortcuts still work.I have two Win 11 and...
  7. Network Browsing, or Not

Network Browsing, or Not: In another thread, Mr. Ed observed that the Windows network browsing service is intentionally disabled in Windows 10. Windows network browsing (My Network Places, Network Neighborhood) is wholly dependent on SMBv1. SMBv1 is not enabled in Windows 10 and therefore Windows...
  8. Intermittent Network Credentials Error

Intermittent Network Credentials Error: Hi. Thanks in advance for any help. I have an intermittent problem with connecting to my NAS. We have a small business with 4 desktops + 2 laptops and the NAS is a file server. The desktops are connected by ethernet cable. The laptops are wifi. The desktops and laptops...
  9. Intermittent Network Connectivity

Intermittent Network Connectivity: Hi, So I have recently updated my system to build 1703 and I started to face some connection issues to my modem. Initially I thought the issue was from the ISP end, however, except for my laptop, all other devices that are connected to it have synchronous internet access...
  10. Intermittent connectivity on home network

Intermittent connectivity on home network: Have a Win 8.1 PC and Win 10 laptop which can see each other at all times on the home network but only once in a while actually display each other's files and/or transfer files from one to the other. Just now the PC can display the laptop's Homegroup items (but not full C:\...