Windows 10: Internal bootable SD card - Can I make a bootloader for Windows

Discus and support Internal bootable SD card - Can I make a bootloader for Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there I've a microserver with a bootable micro sd card (32GB). I've replaced a DVD drive with an SSD - (this isn't bootable in AHCI mode (the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Mar 8, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Internal bootable SD card - Can I make a bootloader for Windows

Hi there

I've a microserver with a bootable micro sd card (32GB). I've replaced a DVD drive with an SSD - (this isn't bootable in AHCI mode (the built in RAID is "Fake RAID" and not very good so I've disabled it and gone into AHCI mode where the I/O is much better on the HDD's using a software RAID program (Mdadm).

Just writing a Linux boot loader to this microsd card boots the OS (Centos 7.2) from the SSD -- the only downside is it takes a few seconds longer to start the boot as the bootloader is read from the microSD card. However the OS runs perfectly from the SSD -- and the microsd card isn't needed again until next boot.

Is there a way to load Windows this way - i.e install Windows on the SSD and run the bootloader from the micro SD card - I've tried a Windows to Go which works but the whole OS is then on the MicroSD card.

I've 4 HDD's but boot can only be from the FIRST HDD in AHCI mode - as I am using Software RAID for these HDD's I want to keep them as 2 arrays of 2 X 2 HDD's so running the OS from the SSD seems the best bet.

What I would like is for the boot loader to load W10 from the SSD and then using Storage spaces for my pool of HDD's to get the most optimal performance.

Windows seems to have a problem with these sorts of bootloaders -- anybody managed to get BOOT from a USB / micro sd device and load Windows from an SSD.

It *might* be possible using Windows "Virtual disks" - I did see a post ages ago about that but can't find it any more.

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 8, 2017

2. how to make phone install programs

how to make phone install programs games on SD card instead of Internal card and how to manage internal card and make some space by moving the program to SD card

thanks for concerning.

osamaal3readee, Mar 8, 2017
  3. Photos and videos transferred to SD card no longer appear in photos

Upgrade advisor transferred photos from my internal storage to my SD card to make room for the windows 10 upgrade, but now they are not there. Only photos I took since I purchased my SD card are there, all photos I transferred to my SD card have disappeared.
    My SD card had been having issues previously. I don't know if they disappeared as soon as they transferred or if they disappeared after the windows 10 update, but they are gone. What can I do to get them back?

englishbulldog802, Mar 8, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

I use rEFInd.

Works well. It will detect and boot Windows (Legacy or EFI) from wherever it finds it and all Linux (except Arch which needs some extra steps) automatically. It will boot any attached device (USB, SD card, SSD whatever) as long as you load a EFI driver for the filesystem (if it isn't FAT) if that is required.

If you just copy it onto a small FAT partition on a SD card and your system supports booting from SD card it will work fine.

lx07, Mar 8, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @lx07

Thanks --worked an absolute treat and the overhead of having the bootloader on the microsd card is minimal and allows me to avoid having to use the poor "Fake Raid" on the server and use decent software RAID instead -- Windows storage spaces for Windows or MDADM for linux for my 4 HDD bays and after boot loader the relevant OS is loaded up to the SSD and runs fine.

In AHCI mode only BAY 1 (for HDD's) is bootable but 4X USB 2 and 1 X micro internal SD card and 1 internal USB2 device are also bootable.

Once booted there are also 2 USB3 slots available so decent external device transfer once machine is booted. Really nice piece of kit for a Home server actually. !!!!

These HP Gen 8 Proliant "micro cube servers" are brilliant and cheap and far better IMO than using a dedicated proprietary NAS server. My only gripe is that you don't really need a DVD on these boxes = but with a MOLEX connector you can replace the DVD with an SSD. You have to set it with the built in RAID (set as a 1 Disk array as RAID 0 ) --sounds bonkers I know !!! but you have to do this if you want to boot the SSD directly -- however the built in RAID is hopeless --around 200% I/O performance improvement in not using the built in RAID and just use the AHCI SATA system.

Thanks again for a good working get around so I can use SSD for the OS'es.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 8, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Good news Internal bootable SD card - Can I make a bootloader for Windows :)

I'm a bit evangelical about rEFInd but in my defense I have a lot of Mac hardware so I need a decent bootloader and Grub is too complicated for my tastes...

lx07, Mar 8, 2017
  7. Hydranix Win User
    ;-)

Hydranix, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Internal bootable SD card - Can I make a bootloader for Windows - Similar Threads - Internal bootable card

2. How to use SD card for internal storage on Windows?

in Windows 10 News
    How to use SD card for internal storage on Windows?: [IMG]The lack of storage space on a PC is something that we all come across, and we wish there were a cheap and effective solution to expand the storage without affecting the overall look and adding extra cables to our PCs. In such a case, you can use an SD Card as internal...
  3. Internal SD Card Reader is not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal SD Card Reader is not detected: I have a Lenovo T450 laptop with Windows 7 installed and it has an internal SD card reader. I installed the drivers for it, which were on the Lenovo website, but it isn't being detected by Windows it doesn't show up in Device Manager and explorer. The files and utilities did...
  4. Internal SD Card Reader is not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal SD Card Reader is not detected: I have a Lenovo T450 laptop with Windows 7 installed and it has an internal SD card reader. I installed the drivers for it, which were on the Lenovo website, but it isn't being detected by Windows it doesn't show up in Device Manager and explorer. The files and utilities did...
  5. SD card Vs. Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD card Vs. Internal Hard Drive: I don't have much space on my HP laptop, and I was recently told that I needed to buy a larger hard drive because there is barely enough space on my C disk for Windows 10 to run. However installing a hard drive seems much more complex than just getting an SD card. Both of...
  6. TEAC Internal SD Card Reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TEAC Internal SD Card Reader: Hello, After upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 10 Pro 32bit, the internal TEAC USB SD Card drive letters don't display in My Computer, however the drives are displaced in Device Manager. Thank you....
  7. Internal SD card reader not working.

Internal SD card reader not working.: Hi, your help please. I have tried most everything I can think of plus following advice from the internet and MS own help site like updating the drivers / updates in general / troubleshooting and so on to get the reader to work but would seem since updating from W7 to...
  8. internal sd card reader on acer laptop

internal sd card reader on acer laptop: since upgrade to win 10 from win 7, internal card reader no longer found, acer 5742 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internal-sd-card-reader-on-acer-laptop/b67d6ce2-9d98-46b2-ac60-0f1fd7d422f3
  9. Internal SD card reader not recognized

Internal SD card reader not recognized: Hello This is an old problem. I got an internal all in one reader. The USB port is working but the sd card is not recognized. When I put a SD card in it, the PC is do run and try to read it but no error message is shown. In the disk management, the E\ drive is set to SD...
  10. How to Clone Bootable SD Card?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to Clone Bootable SD Card?: anyone know if Macrium or other common/good backup/clone package can take an existing good bootable SD Card and clone it to a fresh one? do they need to be exact matches [brand/speed/size] or near-proxy? thx 37033

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootable sd creator no.pc needed windows phone

2. Can SD card make a bootloader?