Windows 10: Internal drive wrongly shown as removable

Discus and support Internal drive wrongly shown as removable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; There is an icon in my tray to "Safely remove hardware and eject media". It is always there (even when no USB devices are plugged in) because Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OldAussie, Aug 20, 2015.

1. OldAussie Win User

Internal drive wrongly shown as removable

There is an icon in my tray to "Safely remove hardware and eject media". It is always there (even when no USB devices are plugged in) because Windows thinks my second internal SSD is removable.

Is there a config setting or a registry edit to fix that?

:)

OldAussie, Aug 20, 2015

2. Removable Drives shown as only with Drive Letters on OS Build 10586.36

Hello Pranab,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I request you to try the below methods:

Method 1:

You may try the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue.

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key to get the Start menu.

2. Type Troubleshooting in the search and press Enter key.

3. Click on Troubleshooting tab.

4. Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

5. Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.

6. Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

Method 2:

Manually performing Check disk.
    Warning: Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process. Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted .For safety you can back up your data before using the check disk command.

Use the check disk commands as follows:

a. Press Windows Key + X, then choose Command prompt (Admin) from the context menu.

b. In search window type 'cmd' and ENTER. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.

c. Type at the command prompt CHKDSK /P and press ENTER to scan the disk.

d. Then type CHKDSK C: /F /R and press ENTER to repair corrupt sectors, if there are any.

NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Once chkdsk completes, boot to the desktop and then check.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost. Please create a backup before performing a check disk.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Aug 20, 2015
  3. Removable Drives shown as only with Drive Letters on OS Build 10586.36

Screenshot attached below.

Internal drive wrongly shown as removable [​IMG]

PranabAcharya, Aug 20, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

In it's properties in Device manager, see if "Enable write caching on this device" is turned on (checked),

CountMike, Aug 20, 2015
  5. OldAussie Win User
    Yes, write caching is enabled for that drive.

OldAussie, Aug 20, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Go into your BIOS and check if the sata port which the HD is connected to, has the "Hot Plug" enabled. Here's an example of my BIOS. I have sata2 and sata5 enabled so I can hot swap these 2 internal drives then they will appear in "Safely Remove"

topgundcp, Aug 20, 2015
  7. OldAussie Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion topgundcp.
    I just searched through every page in my AMI BIOS setup and it doesn't offer any setting for hot plug.

OldAussie, Aug 21, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

Which MB is that ? Some have eSATA connectors inside too.

CountMike, Aug 21, 2015
  9. CountMike New Member
    I meant OP, but with hot swaps it would be normal unless BIOS has settings for it.

CountMike, Aug 21, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    #

I just got my first high end, not off the shelf PC's ever, and had the removable drive problem, and landed here after using the forums search.
    Dino's( @topgundcp ) answer fixed it for me, thanks man!
    This is the first time I have ever had the entry or choice on a PC, all my others only had the choice of AHCI or IDE, so I didn't know about this setting. I still need to learn ho to use my new BIOS, without setting things to OC all the time and overheating my brand new computer(specs already updated in case someone is interested).

Cliff S, Nov 27, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    @Cliff S
    FYI, normally people use external HD to store Data/Backup Image. However, The external HD is in enclosure and get over heated (>50 C burning hot), hence shorten the life of it. For each of my PC's, I use a bare hot swap bays as shown (one for SSD, one for 3.5" HD) to keep the HD temp low (~ 30 C ) and for true Sata speed instead of USB.

topgundcp, Nov 27, 2016
  12. Steve C Win User
    I had this problem when one of my internal drives was connected to a Marvell SATA port on my Gigabyte motherboard. I moved that drive to a free Intel SATA port and it now works fine. I eventually disabled the Marvel SATA ports in the BIOS since I don't need them.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internal drive wrongly shown as removable - Similar Threads - Internal drive wrongly

2. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello,Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system image. I think...
  3. Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive: Hi, I want the secondary HDD in my laptop to be recognised as removable. This way I hope that the drive can automatically spin down without ever being spun up for no apparent reason by the OS, if set to something like quick removal which should disable write caching on the...
  4. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello, Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system...
  5. removing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    removing internal hard drive: so i wanted to check something while i have no hdd and i want to remove my wd blue hard drive but i don't know if it's safe to start pc after unplugging hdd or not and my windows 10 is installed on my ssd so what should i do?...
  6. Internal optical drive seen as removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal optical drive seen as removable drive: Hi guys, I've got a CQ62 running an AMD processor. It's working great in every way but one. The internal CD/DVD burner is seen as a removable drive, and is inaccessible. Under Device Manager it's listed under Disk Drives, whereas normally it should be under DVD/CD Drives....
  7. "Safe " removing internal drives ?!

"Safe " removing internal drives ?!: Why are my internal HDDs and SSD shown in the "safe remove "-icon ( placed in taskbar) ?? How can we get rid of this absurd notification of showing internal HDDs for removing...............!! 114602
  8. Internal SATA drives show as removable

Internal SATA drives show as removable: My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner. C: and D: show on the remove/eject menu. How do I get them off that? The last, and only other, time I encountered such a problem...
  9. Internal SSD shown in Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

Internal SSD shown in Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media: I have a problem with two of my SSD's showing up as removable and non internal when they're mounted inside my PC. One has my operating system on it so I'm hesitant to remove that one, but the other one only has games on it so I can use that for testing purposes. Here's some...
  10. Wrong characters shown. Keyboard issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong characters shown. Keyboard issue: Hi My PC showed UK Keyboard after W10 installed, the only issue I found was that "@" showed instead of " " " and vice versa. To fix this I changed the keyboard to US Keyboard, as it had been until W10, that fixed the problem but when I reboot it reverts to UK Keyboard....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nternal drive wrongly shown as removable

2. internal drive seen as removable