Windows 10: Internal drives not showing after reinstall

Discus and support Internal drives not showing after reinstall in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've done a reinstall of Windows 10 today. I unplugged my internal storage HDD's to isolate the SSD for the install, wiped the SSD, and reinstalled 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by abibee, Feb 7, 2016.

1. abibee Win User

Internal drives not showing after reinstall

I've done a reinstall of Windows 10 today. I unplugged my internal storage HDD's to isolate the SSD for the install, wiped the SSD, and reinstalled 10.

Now it's installed, I've plugged my 2 internal HDD's back in, started up Windows, and neither drives are showing. Neither in device manager or in Explorer. What could be the issue here, and how do I resolve it?

Any advice is much appreciated.

:)

abibee, Feb 7, 2016

2. windows 10 internal drive d how to take back ownership of the hardrive?

method 1 does not apply internal drive not external.

method 2 does not solve the issue.

we are talking about internal drive on a dell xps 8500 special edition with ssd 256gb and 2 tb hdd.

the c drive is the ssd. and the d drive is the hdd.

the catching is done on the ssd. for performance.

the issue is with the d drive not having the option to send stuff to it. when you right click a file in the send to option.

the d drive does not show up.

this started after reinstall of the os since the anniversary update crashed my pc.

still waiting on fix.

i am steve, Feb 7, 2016
  3. cjmurphy1 Win User
    Second Hard Drive Not Showing Up after Win 10 Update, the 2nd HDD says "unknown device". The drive does not have a letter and is not initialized

I had the exact same issue. Extra internal drive a no show in device manager. It was in the BIOS. I fixed it by changing the SATA controller. When I reinstalled mobo it was not set to IDE.

cjmurphy1, Feb 7, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Check in Disk Management to see if they've been assigned Drive Letters.

Edwin, Feb 7, 2016
  5. abibee Win User
    They're not showing in Disk Management either. It's like they don't exist.

When I disconnected them, I did it by just pulling out the sata cables from the drives. Could I have messed something up by doing that? I've not killed them have I? I've put the cables back in fully, triple checked, and in the same order.

abibee, Feb 7, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    Abibee, would you check and make sure that the data and power cables are fully seated on both ends. Sometimes it is easy to slightly move a cable which disconnects it and not realize it..

If that doesn't help, right click on the start flag and select Command Prompt (Admin) allow access and type diskpart and press enter, then type list disk and press enter. See if they show up there. If they do, let us know and we'll try to help you fix it.

You could also go into BIOS and under Sata configuration it should list each disk that is connected. See if they are seen there.

With all drives connected, have you restarted your computer?

essenbe, Feb 7, 2016
  7. abibee Win User
    Diskpart - list disk, didn't show them. However, I restarted and went into bios and changed the boot sequence from the cd rom to the ssd. While in bios I could see the 2 hdd's listed. Now after restarting the drives are showing up properly!

So I don't know what fixed it, it's a mystery. But all seems to be well, thank goodness. Windows eh!

Thanks for your input guys, it's appreciated. *Smile

abibee, Feb 7, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

No problem, I am glad it is working for you. Good job. Sounds like the restart helped.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internal drives not showing after reinstall - Similar Threads - Internal drives showing

2. Toshiba internal drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba internal drive not showing up: I've recently switched pc's and moved my ssd and hdd to the new computer. Unfortunately while ssd is showing up and working juzt fine, the most important hdd when I have all of my files isn't even showing up in the drive management. It's not being detected at all. Is Toshiba...
  3. Toshiba internal drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toshiba internal drive not showing up: I've recently switched pc's and moved my ssd and hdd to the new computer. Unfortunately while ssd is showing up and working juzt fine, the most important hdd when I have all of my files isn't even showing up in the drive management. It's not being detected at all. Is Toshiba...
  4. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello,Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system image. I think...
  5. Internal hard drives not showing up on reinstallation of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internal hard drives not showing up on reinstallation of windows 10: I have a 7 year old PC. I've added a few 2 tb internal hard drives to it over the years - because back then, Intel, Gigabyte and the rest said it could be done - and they were right! I ended up with Drives C, and D, E, F and G. I know, I know. Just call it a personal quirk....
  6. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello, Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system...
  7. Two internal drives don't show up after reinstalling Windows 10

Two internal drives don't show up after reinstalling Windows 10: So I just reinstalled Windows 10 on my computer and my computer only recognizes one of my three internal drives, the one with my OS on it. I went on device manager and it shows them, and in their properties it says that "This device is working properly." [ATTACH]...
  8. Showing eject of the internal drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Showing eject of the internal drives: Yesterday I tried to convert the SATA options from IDE to AHIC I searched over the internet and found that I can't directly change those options and I need a windows registry fix to do it, so I did that and changed the SATA option from IDE to AHIC At boot up I got an error...
  9. Internal drive not showing up

Internal drive not showing up: The internal D: drive on my laptop isn't showing up anymore after downloading a game from steam and getting a disk corrupt error message every now and again. It doesn't show up on Disk Management or Command or anything. Do I just bring it to someone and get a new compatible...
  10. Internal SATA drives show as removable

Internal SATA drives show as removable: My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner. C: and D: show on the remove/eject menu. How do I get them off that? The last, and only other, time I encountered such a problem...