Windows 10: Internal file transfer issue within MTP device connected to PC

Discus and support Internal file transfer issue within MTP device connected to PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I hope you may be able to help with this issue. I have had a Sansa Clip Zip 8GB mp3 player for several years now and it has always worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by peterprog, Jun 17, 2017.

1. peterprog Win User

Internal file transfer issue within MTP device connected to PC

Hi

I hope you may be able to help with this issue.

I have had a Sansa Clip Zip 8GB mp3 player for several years now and it has always worked well for me. I prefer to manage and listen to my music with the player in MTP mode, which gives me the capacity to jump between playlists as I wish.

To add new music to the player, I connect the player to the PC, where it is recognised as an MTP device, transfer the new music file or folder into the 'Music' folder, right click on the new file or folder to 'Create Playlist' and then cut and paste the resultant .pla file into the 'Playlist folder. The device does not recognise the .pla file unless it is inside the Playlist folder. This has worked well for as long as I have had the player, the last 3-4 years.

Just recently though, a problem has arisen. My PC continues to recognise the player as an MTP device when I connect it, no issue there. And there is still no issue in copying any file from my PC into the Music folder within the player's folder structure. Or copying any file on the player back to my PC. But it is no longer possible to copy a file from one folder to another within the Player's structure - e.g. copy a playlist file from the Music folder to the Playlist folder. In fact, after experimenting further, it is not an issue of file type. It is no longer possible to transfer any file type between any folder - Music, Playlist, Podcast etc. - within the mp3 player's file structure.

So I can transfer files from an external source and to an external source, but not within the player itself. This removes the easy facility to create a playlist file within the Music folder and move it into the Playlist folder.

There is a somewhat ponderous workaround. I can, for example, create a .pla Playlist file within the Music folder, cut and paste the .pla file onto the PC Desktop, then cut it paste it back again into the Playlist folder. This restores the functionality that I want and need to use the player as I wish, but it's frustrating to suddenly have to add two extra steps to the process when everything worked perfectly before.

A couple of other points, which I think are a pointer to what may be going on. It may be a co-incidence, but the problem arose just around the time I updated the PC to the new Windows 10 Creators. Things worked fine previously in all earlier versions of Windows 10. And I just tested the mp3 Player on my old Windows 7 set-up, and everything works as it always did there. There is something going on within the latest version of Windows 10 which is no longer allowing internal files transfers within the MTP device.

Just to be sure that I have covered all the bases, I have formatted the mp3 player and reinstalled the latest firmware - no effect. I have restored the player to default settings - no effect. And I have confirmed that I am running the up-to-date driver for the player. I have established that everything works fine within Windows 7, and did so within Windows 8 and earlier versions of Windows 10 as well.

I am running a HP Pavilion Notebook PC, with 8GB of RAM. The System Summary on the PC tells me that I am running Windows Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063.

Appreciate any thoughts on how I might get around this issue.

Cheers

:)

peterprog, Jun 17, 2017

2. windows10 upgraded 0n 29.09.2016 - 1607

till the up-gradation to 1607 may windows10 opened the internal storage and sd card of my redmi 1s phone.

after the up gradation to 1607 my laptop is not connected by way of MTP. but it connects photo transfer of internal storage. so i am not able to view the files or transfer the files from laptop to device vice versa.

usb connector and port is in working condition.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Thirumalai.V.S., Jun 17, 2017
  3. windows10 upgraded 0n 29.09.2016 - 1607

"the procedure given was tried. the driver is latest is the result. i am once again explaining the problem. In the phone there are two types of transfer: 1. MTP. media device and 2 PTP. transfer of photos and pictures to computer. PTP works. only photos
    are shown in the internal storage of the phone in the laptop. but other files in internal storage and SD card files (MTP) are not shown. the phone drive is also appearing as a drive in the explorer.

thank you for the reply"

"is there any driver for MTP. my phone is redmi 1s."

Thirumalai.V.S., Jun 17, 2017
  4. Internal file transfer issue within MTP device connected to PC

Hi peterprog. Welcome to the Tenforums @peterprog

If you hold the Windows key down + R, type Winver, enter

you will get the Version and build #. Your version is 1703 and you will get a build number 15063.xxx. 413 or 414 are the latest build.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124

Are you getting any kind of error message? Is any thing being recorded in the event viewer in any of the logs either as Information or warning item?

When you google MTP issues seems lots of people are having issues but the issues listed are more along the lines "it doesn't work". Yours works apart from the lack of functionality around moving files on device.

There is this thread on our forum

Media Transfer Protocol Device (MTP Device) support for Windows 10 N

Which talks to Media Transfer Protocol and solution 7 in this link. (Please don't run ReImagePlus in this link.)

http://windowsreport.com/media-trans...l-not-working/

Again these were for MTP not working. By chance is the Windows Media player installed in your build?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 17, 2017
  5. peterprog Win User
    Many thanks for getting back to me Ken.

I followed your suggestions - I'm running Build 413. There are no error messages appearing in Event Viewer either.

I found that I had Windows Media Player installed (though I don't use it). So I uninstalled it, but the problem persisted.

I then looked at Solution 7 in the link. I didn't install the Media Feature Pack as I had just removed Windows Media Player, but I did download and install the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit. But again, it didn't resolve the issue unfortunately.

Fortunately, I do have a workaround, even if it adds a couple of steps to the process. And if, as I suspect, it is a Creators Update issue, it might be resolved in a future update.

In the meantime, grateful if you think there are any other solutions I might try.

Thanks again for your response.

peterprog, Jun 18, 2017
  6. Thought we might have been on to something. Good luck and I will post back if I find something.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Internal file transfer issue within MTP device connected to PC

1. Internal file transfer issue within MTP device connected to PC - Similar Threads - Internal file transfer

2. Connecting phone with PC as MTP-Receiving error 28The drivers for this device are not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting phone with PC as MTP-Receiving error 28The drivers for this device are not...: Hello,I have a lenovo G570, 64 bit, 6gb ram. Win 7. I am using this Laptop for the last 10 years and it has been a good experience. Recently I tried to connect my phone with pc through usb for the first time and got this error.The drivers for this device are not installed....
  3. Connecting phone with PC as MTP-Receiving error 28The drivers for this device are not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting phone with PC as MTP-Receiving error 28The drivers for this device are not...: Hello,I have a lenovo G570, 64 bit, 6gb ram. Win 7. I am using this Laptop for the last 10 years and it has been a good experience. Recently I tried to connect my phone with pc through usb for the first time and got this error.The drivers for this device are not installed....
  4. Not able to connect Android Device as MTP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to connect Android Device as MTP: Hi Guys,I am not able to plug my Android Redmi Note phone on windows machine to transfer the data.it refuses to install the MTP driver that is needed to add the device.Cables are working fine as I tested my mobile with the cable in another windows machine perfectly fineTried...
  5. Not able to connect Android Device as MTP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to connect Android Device as MTP: Hi Guys,I am not able to plug my Android Redmi Note phone on windows machine to transfer the data.it refuses to install the MTP driver that is needed to add the device.Cables are working fine as I tested my mobile with the cable in another windows machine perfectly fineTried...
  6. Not able to connect Android Device as MTP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. MTP USB Device

MTP USB Device: I got a question; I've been having this issue with these new Dells Laptops computer. What's happening is when you plug in your cell phone to the laptop it will come up with a MTP USB device with an exclamation point error in the Device Manager. I have tried uninstalling and...
  8. file transfer within devices.

file transfer within devices.: How to transfer a file from computer to Ipad. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-within-devices/b7226ffd-e8e9-4acc-b7b8-c6712f5f39c8
  9. MTP USB device issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    MTP USB device issue: I’m trying to upload footage from my GoPro hero 8 but when I plug in the USB to the camera and pc with the camera on nothing happens, I go into my device manager and it shows the GoPro but it shows it as an unknown device so I can’t even do anything with it and I can’t access...
  10. MTP USB Device Issues

MTP USB Device Issues: I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for a second time in Feb. 2016; and then was forced to do a repair install in April 2016 after a Windows 10 Update crashed my system. I always test each device (printers, external hard drives, camera, MP3 player, Windows Phone, etc.)...