Windows 10: Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing

Discus and support Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I used up all the allowed space in the title there - couldn't put a question mark on the end. *Smile Wonder why I can't see the WD hard drive I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by abrogard, May 14, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing

I used up all the allowed space in the title there - couldn't put a question mark on the end.

*Smile

Wonder why I can't see the WD hard drive I just hooked up to a SATA port on my H170 board?

There are currently two seagate drive SATA connected and the DVD drive. And an external Seagate on USB.

I put the WD in and I can see it in device manager but nowhere else.

I have a couple of screenshots:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Can anyone help?

:)

abrogard, May 14, 2018
  2. sadnewbie Win User

non existing phantom drives listed as Unknown devices in Device Manager

Original title: Phantom drive in Windows 10

OS Windows 10. My computer showed two phantom drives. I tried to eject them through the “Safely remove hardware and eject media” but I never get a list of those drives to remove.

I also tried through the Device Manager> View> Show Hidden Devices> but those phantom drives do not show in the listing, so I can’t uninstall them. It did show a “WPD FileSystem Volume Driver” with a yellow triangle and I clicked to uninstall. Then
    I moved to Disk drives in the same Device manager and it listed one non-existing drive. I clicked on uninstall and after a little time it instructed me to restart the computer which I did by clicking the “restart now’. The computer went to restart and just
    hanged in there, allowed it to work the restart for a couple of hours so I finally did a hard reboot.

When it finally came on, I clicked on the Windows Explorer> This PC. This time it showed only one phantom drive as “Local Disk H:”

Opened again Device Manage> View> Show hidden devices> under disks it only showed the correct disks installed on the PC. Under portable devices showed: Unknown device, so I did uninstall it. Closed the Device manager. No restart request this time.

On Windows explorer it still shows the phantom drive as “Local Disk H:”

Next I went to Disk Management. The window for it came up but although it says “Connecting to Virtual Disk Service,” it never shows anything in spite of letting it work for a couple of hours. I believe the PC gets confused searching for that non-existing
    phantom drive. Also checked under Computer management> Services> Virtual Disk: and it said it was running. Still nothing shows in Disk Management.

The Phantom disk I believe is interfering with the search feature in Windows Explorer since every time I try to find a document it takes too long.

On my frustration downloaded from Microsoft the “Windows installation tool” for my Windows 10 and tried that to see if a repair would get me clear of that non-existing drive. However after doing that repair it still did list the non-existing drive.
    So I tried again with that DVD and did a reinstall of Windows 10. No luck the phantom drive is still there; if I click on it the computer tries to find it and just hangs in there and nothing can be done on it just freezes.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

sadnewbie, May 15, 2018
  3. MY cd and dvd drives do not show up as drives but are listed in device manager no yellow code. I am using windows 10

My CD and DVD drives do not show up as drives like C drives does. They are listed in device manager no yellow warning. The drives run but no output to the computer. I am using windows 10! one drive is internal came with the hp computer and I have an external
    drive that is connect by a USB cable. My computer is six years old.

CurtisMay929, May 15, 2018
Thema:

Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing

1. Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing - Similar Threads - Internal SATA drive

2. Hard drive no longer in explorer, shows in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive no longer in explorer, shows in device manager: So their was a windows 10 update last night. Updated and turned my PC off and went to bed. Turned on PC today to game a little before I go to a wedding. Now its missing in 'my computer' but shows up in device manager as working fine? Also the storage has shrunk massively! I...
  3. Hard drive no longer in explorer, shows in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive no longer in explorer, shows in device manager: So their was a windows 10 update last night. Updated and turned my PC off and went to bed. Turned on PC today to game a little before I go to a wedding. Now its missing in 'my computer' but shows up in device manager as working fine? Also the storage has shrunk massively! I...
  4. Drive D not showing in explorer or device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive D not showing in explorer or device manager: Yesterday night I started some updates for windows and left them over night. Today I turn on my laptop and all the stuff on drive d is gone. My whole drive was gone. It isn't showing up in the explorer, device manager and it isn't even showing up in the bios. However it shows...
  5. Drive D not showing in explorer, device manager or disk management

Drive D not showing in explorer, device manager or disk management: Yesterday night I started some updates for windows and left them over night. Today I turn on my laptop and all the stuff on drive d is gone. My whole drive was gone. It isn't showing up in the explorer, disk manager, device manager and it isn't even showing up in the bios. I...
  6. Floppy drive not showing in Explorer Device Manager or Disk Management

Floppy drive not showing in Explorer Device Manager or Disk Management: The floppy disk controller shows in Device Manager, but not the drive. The BIOS sees the drive and the drive was chosen in the BIOS and the controller was turned on in the BIOS. I tried to install the floppy drive manually in Add Hardware, but there isn't a listing for it....
  7. Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware'

Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware': Hi, Issue; I've got two of my internal SATA hard drives (4 internal hard drive in total) showing as removeable drives in the 'safely remove hardware and eject media' tray icon list. I don't want to accidentally eject one of them so I would like them not to appear in the...
  8. Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media

Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media: After clean install of Win 10 ver 1803 two (2) internal hard drives now appear in taskbar as removable and in fact can be removed....neither are the primary drive but backup drives....anyone else having this situation...have attempted registry changes as outlined below but...
  9. Internal SATA drives show as removable

Internal SATA drives show as removable: My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner. C: and D: show on the remove/eject menu. How do I get them off that? The last, and only other, time I encountered such a problem...
  10. Second SATA drive showing in BIOS but not Device Manager

Second SATA drive showing in BIOS but not Device Manager: I've just added a 2nd HD to my Dell system with Win 10. It shows in the BIOS and Seagate tools finds it. It does not show up in Device manager or Computer Management/Storage - Disc Management or anywhere. Not sure if this si Won 10 specific. Anyone else seen this or has any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cd drives not listing in device manager

2. drive shown in device manager but not explorer