Windows 10: Internal SATA drives show as removable

Discus and support Internal SATA drives show as removable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner. C: and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Galane, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Galane Win User

Internal SATA drives show as removable

My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner.

C: and D: show on the remove/eject menu. How do I get them off that?

The last, and only other, time I encountered such a problem was with XP, when SATA was the newest thing. Then I just lived with it, wasn't a fix for that particular board because nobody saw fit to fix the driver or whatever caused it. Now? There's no excuse for this error with a mature technology.

:)

Galane, Dec 22, 2016

2. Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media on Z77x-UD5H-WB WiFi and Win10 Enterprise

Hi Justin,

Since the query is related to Windows 10 Enterprise operating system,
    I suggest you to post your query in the TechNet forum. IT Professionals on
    TechNet Forums are well equipped and will assist you better in resolving the issue you are facing with.

TechNet forum link:

Technet forums

Write to us for assistance regarding any Windows query, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Dec 22, 2016
  3. Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media on Z77x-UD5H-WB WiFi and Win10 Enterprise

After installing Win10 Enterprise, the drives connected with the Marvell 88SE9172 are displayed as removeable media in the Safely Remove Hardware list.

There's no hot plug option for Marvell SATA options in BIOS and I have also tried as this page suggests (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083627), but neither of them worked.

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 0

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mvs91xx\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 0

Please help if I missed anything or did it wrong. Thanks!

Internal SATA drives show as removable [​IMG]

Justin Wu B, Dec 22, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Are they by any chance connected to eSATA controller ? Also check "Policy" tab for them in device manager, "Enable write caching" should be enabled otherwise system will threat them as external.

CountMike, Dec 22, 2016
  5. Galane Win User
    Write caching is enabled and they're set for better performance, not quick removal. The board has one eSata port but I don't know which of the two controllers it is connected to. It's an Asrock 770 Extreme3.

Edit: I'm going to try this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083627

Galane, Dec 22, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Look at the manual. First BOOT drive is recommended to be on SATA0 to make sure it's on main controller. One of those two white plugs.
    http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/...20Extreme3.pdf

CountMike, Dec 22, 2016
  7. Galane Win User
    They are on those connectors. The info on that link fixed bus 1 but not 0. Trying it for 0 again and rebooting again.

Edit: I entered that command with a 0 then rebooted. The Bus 0 drive is no longer on the remove menu, but the Bus 1 drive is back on it. 10 points to House Microsoft, minus five for an incomplete fix.

Galane, Dec 22, 2016
  8. TV2
    TV2 Win User

This behavior is common on systems where the installed SATA AHCI driver is not playing nice with the motherboard and/or BIOS.
    Windows installs a generic SATA AHCI driver by default when you install the OS. This is a driver designed to give basic functionality across many different products.

It is always best to install the most current drivers offered from the OEM for your new system. In your case, any and all SATA related drivers. For Intel systems it is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver that handles the AHCI chores. AMD will have it's own AHCI driver, but I can't recall which one they use.

9. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Dec 22, 2016
  10. Galane Win User
    I installed the AMD chipset drivers. There's a VIA VT6421, but VIA does not provide drivers. That's up to Microsoft, so bugs are their fault. Internal SATA drives show as removable :p

Galane, Dec 23, 2016
  11. Galane Win User
    The VIA SATA3 controller does not have a hot plug option. The other one (which is not the one with this problem) does have it and it was disabled on all four internal ports and the one eSATA port. I turned it on for the eSATA.

Galane, Dec 23, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    Galene, Microsoft provides the drivers that the hardware and software manufacturers provide to them. Microsoft writes the operating system. It would be totally unrealistic to expect Microsoft to write drivers for every piece of hardware and software that exists. It is the responsibility of the Hardware Manufacturers and software developers to write their own drivers. If they write them and provide them to Microsoft, Microsoft will update them through Windows update. If there are no drivers, the issue is with the manufacturer.

essenbe, Dec 23, 2016
  13. Steve C Win User

I had that problem when I had drives connected to the Marvell SATA ports on my Gigabyte motherboard. The problem was poor driver software by Marvell. I solved the problem by moving all drives to use Intel SATA ports and disabled the Marvell ports which I no longer use.

Steve C, Dec 23, 2016
  14. Galane Win User
    I have 5 SATA drives so not using one of the problem ports isn't an option. There's something to that command here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083627 but there must be something it's missing because it can only fix one at a time. Change it to get rid of one and the other comes back.

Edit: I dug into the Registry and tried that again. Now I see the problem. Each time it's entered it toggles one value instead of adding another. It's a Multi-String Value. How do I add multi-strings to it? It needs to hold both 0 and 1 instead of one or the other.

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x <-What to put in place of X that inserts both 0 and 1 simultaneously?

Galane, Dec 23, 2016
  15. valihrach Win User
    0\01\02\03\04\05\06\07 ("\0" are separators).

See reg add /? for further help.

valihrach, Dec 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Internal SATA drives show as removable - Similar Threads - Internal SATA drives

2. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello,Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system image. I think...
  3. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello, Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system...
  4. Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?: Hello ALL. I have Windows 10 PRO 1909 with all of the updates and added the Safely Remove Hardware shortcut. The problem is that I have a SATA dock with a nice 4TB drive that I use for images (Macrium Reflect) and when done I wanted to use this Shortcut to remove the drive...
  5. copying data to internal drive with sata adapter

copying data to internal drive with sata adapter: I have a 1tb hard drive. I have been having this problem for weeks. I cant copy the files to the desktop because it uses USB 2.0. I have to copy the files from the hard drive to a usb to sata adapter using my other desktop which has usb 3.0. The files are almost 200gb and are...
  6. Problem after "Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media" fix

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem after "Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media" fix: I had a problem with my SSD showing up as a removeable drive. It always seemed like there were hesitations with that drive so I thought I should fix the proble. To do so, I followed this Microsoft recommendation: Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media This is the...
  7. Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware'

Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware': Hi, Issue; I've got two of my internal SATA hard drives (4 internal hard drive in total) showing as removeable drives in the 'safely remove hardware and eject media' tray icon list. I don't want to accidentally eject one of them so I would like them not to appear in the...
  8. Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing

Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing: I used up all the allowed space in the title there - couldn't put a question mark on the end. *Smile Wonder why I can't see the WD hard drive I just hooked up to a SATA port on my H170 board? There are currently two seagate drive SATA connected and the DVD drive. And an...
  9. Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media

Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media: After clean install of Win 10 ver 1803 two (2) internal hard drives now appear in taskbar as removable and in fact can be removed....neither are the primary drive but backup drives....anyone else having this situation...have attempted registry changes as outlined below but...
  10. internal hard drives showing as external removable devices

internal hard drives showing as external removable devices: I just finished building my new pc and my hard drives which I moved over from my old computer are showing in device manager and windows media player as portable devices. How to I get them to show up as internal My system is AMD Ryzen 1400. Asrock AB350 Pro4 motherboard,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 Intel AHCI SafelyRemove TreatAsInternalPort