Windows 10: Internet browser opening automatically to MSN at startup

Discus and support Internet browser opening automatically to MSN at startup in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I've seen this thread before but it was a year old. I have Windows 10 with Mozilla Firefox. The home page is set to Google and Firefox is not in the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by PeteJ, Jun 3, 2016.

1. PeteJ Win User

Internet browser opening automatically to MSN at startup

I've seen this thread before but it was a year old. I have Windows 10 with Mozilla Firefox. The home page is set to Google and Firefox is not in the start menu. Recently when I started my computer the browser automatically opens to the MSN home page. I have scanned my computer with Malwarebytes and have no issues there. I believe it is something in one of the Microsoft updates that causes it. Any help?

:)

PeteJ, Jun 3, 2016
  2. OssieMac Win User

MSN opens in my browser during startup

The default browser was opening during startup and going to MSN page.

What ever browser I set as my default browser (Chrome, Edge or Internet Explorer) was opening when I started the computer and going directly to MSN page. It was not going to the default page set for the browser. I have blank page set as the default.

Changing the registry entry to disallow probing as per my explanation in previous post fixed the problem and my browser no longer opens at MSN page during computer startup.

The problem commenced after the last Microsoft Update and that is what made me think that Microsoft changed something.

OssieMac, Jun 3, 2016
  3. Sup99 Win User
    Internet Explorer & Windows 10 Update

Since the Windows 10 anniversary update when my computer logs on for the first time my Internet Explorer 11 automatically opens with MSN. Internet explorer is my default.

My home page is not set to MSN in the tools menu but another home page which is not opening.

I have checked the start-up menu and internet explorer is not listed.

How do I stop internet explorer opening automatically?

Sup99, Jun 3, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Don't use FireFox but did you try re-installing it?

Kbird, Jun 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Internet browser opening automatically to MSN at startup - Similar Threads - Internet browser opening

2. Device Manager Automatically Opens on Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Device Manager Automatically Opens on Startup: Posting this question so I can answer it for anyone else who runs into this issue since the older thread about this is now locked with no complete solution listed....
  3. Opening Browser To Last Page On Startup

Opening Browser To Last Page On Startup: Earlier I started my laptop and a video I was last watching on my laptop started playing at the sign-in screen. This was really embarrassing as I was in a meeting and the sound playing was from mid-fight in a TV series, so characters were shouting 'motivations' at each other....
  4. Why has browser opened occasionally after startup?

Why has browser opened occasionally after startup?: This has happened 3 times in the last 10 days: I turn the computer on, and get the usual screen showing my desktop. Then, about 10 minutes later (without having done anything on the computer), the browser I use (Firefox) is open to my homepage. I have performed Malware...
  5. Internet explorer trying to open something on startup

in Browsers and Email
    Internet explorer trying to open something on startup: I do not have internet explorer set to start, but whenever my laptop turns on after being shut down it opens up between 3 and 7 windows and tries to reach a specific address before saying "this site could not be reached". Also, on a side note, there is a message box that also...
  6. MSN opens when not online

in Browsers and Email
    MSN opens when not online: I often fire up my laptop where there is no wireless. If I then open Chrome my default home page does not open but instead MSN home page opens. How do I prevent this? 88105
  7. Internet browsers

in Browsers and Email
    Internet browsers: Hello folks, I am wondering if there is a specific web browser that works particularly well with Windows 10 I have been using Firefox but lately this seems to be very erratic and so I am thinking of using something else. I have done this via Microsoft Edge but, I find...
  8. MSN opeing on connectig to Internet

in Browsers and Email
    MSN opeing on connectig to Internet: As the title says... this has only just started happening post last update KB4074588 I Googled it and searched here only advice I got was quite stupid to be honest... Anyway I tried the registry hack... it worked 50% MSN now does not load now in the default browser...
  9. Wireless disconnect when opening internet browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless disconnect when opening internet browser: Hello friends New TV box with Windows 10 Connects to the wireless network without problems and shows strong signal. ping the router and the external dns is continuous without problems. As soon as I open a browser (Chrome or IE) ping stops . There are other laptops and...
  10. Automatically open programs on seperate desktop at startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatically open programs on seperate desktop at startup: Hello all. I was wondering if it is possible if I can have specific programs launched at startup , and have them placed on another virtual desktop (i.e Desktop 2) . In my scenario , I have to manually launch all my hardware monitoring utilities and move them to Desktop 2 ,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msn opens automatically on start up

2. IE10 opening msn.com automatically

3. Internet Explorer msn opening automatically