Windows 10: Internet connection by ethernet / wireless - always on / plugged in?

Discus and support Internet connection by ethernet / wireless - always on / plugged in? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Sorry if not the correct place to ask, but do people usually leave their internet connection always connected to online? Whether connected by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TenneR, Dec 12, 2016.

1. TenneR Win User

Internet connection by ethernet / wireless - always on / plugged in?

Hi

Sorry if not the correct place to ask, but do people usually leave their internet connection always connected to online?

Whether connected by ethernet or via wireless?

I tend to plug when logging off and re-plug in when fully booted up and logged into windows.

Am I being too cautious?

:)

TenneR, Dec 12, 2016
  2. GeorgeM53 Win User

Internet connection Problems with Windows 10

I have a Dell Inspiron15R that I updated to windows10. I cannot connect by wireless to the internet, it says there are no connections. I plug in the ethernet and connection is fine, checked wireless card and windows says it is working fine. Remove the
    ethernet cable and windows says no connections available. What is the problem?

GeorgeM53, Dec 12, 2016
  3. GeorgeM53 Win User
    Wireless card not working after updating to Windoes 10

Original Title: Windows 10 problem

I have a Dell Inspiron15R that I updated to windows10. I cannot connect by wireless to the internet, it says there are no connections. I plug in the ethernet and connection is fine, checked wireless card and windows says it is working fine. Remove the ethernet
    cable and windows says no connections available. What is the problem?

GeorgeM53, Dec 12, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum yes it can give problems if it's down loading or updating it can confuse Windows as well

Samuria, Dec 12, 2016
  5. Borg 386 Win User
    If you choose to leave it on all the time is your choice. I myself prefer to turn off the connection to the net when I'm not using it or am away from the computer. You never know if your computer is going to get compromised though some sort of attack, conveniently while you're away & unable to take action.

If you're interested, there is a free program you can use to turn off the connection without having to go through the hassle of turning off/unplugging your router/modem.

Internet Off - Internet Blocking App for Windows

Borg 386, Dec 12, 2016
  6. TenneR Win User
    Thanks you both for your replies.

I'm aware of that program - thanks Borg.

I was afraid I was overly conscious about security and feared I was going to get flamed.

Is it a bad thing to have it connected whilst booting up, logging in, shutting down / restarting? That's happened to me a few times.

TenneR, Dec 12, 2016
  7. Borg 386 Win User
    I shut the router down every night when we go to bed. I also shut it off completely if we'll be gone for an extended period of time.

Normally I turn the net on, make sure the connection is established (via the indicator lights) & then fire up the PC. That's how I do it. But I don't see why you couldn't turn on the net connect if your PC is up & running already. Shouldn't cause any problems.

Borg 386, Dec 13, 2016
  8. Internet connection by ethernet / wireless - always on / plugged in?

From a security point, this is very security wise, security services try to start ASAP to avoid infections.
    I was infected 3 times with Sasser before Windows XP even installed updates, but 10 is a bit more safer.
    Other option is to setup a static IP, then network connection can not be established before Windows boots up.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet connection by ethernet / wireless - always on / plugged in? - Similar Threads - Internet connection ethernet

2. Ethernet is plugged in but shows no internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet is plugged in but shows no internet: Wifi is working and I've tried alot of things, and it still did not solve the problem.Ethernet cut out while I was playing, switched ethernet cables and worked for a bit.After a while the ethernet cut out again, I might just buy a new ethernet cable but im short of money...
  3. Ethernet is plugged in but shows no internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet is plugged in but shows no internet: Wifi is working and I've tried alot of things, and it still did not solve the problem.Ethernet cut out while I was playing, switched ethernet cables and worked for a bit.After a while the ethernet cut out again, I might just buy a new ethernet cable but im short of money...
  4. Ethernet is plugged in but shows no internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ethernet cable plugged in but there is no internet

Ethernet cable plugged in but there is no internet: I logged onto my PC this morning and noticed I had no internet. I used another ethernet cable and they both did not work. I looked up some solutions and tried doing ipconfig/release and /renew but it says “No operation can be performed on Ethernet 2 while it has its media...
  6. No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless

No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless: I have a Windows 10 desktop that will not connect to the Internet either wired Ethernet or wireless. It previously connected fine through a D-Link DWA-140 USB wireless adapter. I swapped the adapter to an identical machine and it worked fine. I plugged in a known working...
  7. Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless

Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless: My wireless symbol has changed and I can only connect to the internet when I put the ethernet cable into my laptop. What is wrong>...
  8. Wireless / Ethernet connection to internet permanently ON?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wireless / Ethernet connection to internet permanently ON?: Hi As the title reads. Is it safe to have a permanent connection to the internet, even leaving a wired connection plugged in whilst rebooting and signing into the Windows profile? Thanks 58099
  9. slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless

slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless: i have a AC600 wifi adapter and a ASUS rt-ac1200g+ router, we pay for 100mbps down. i can hit 30mbps on the wifi adapter but when i try ethernet it is locked at 10mbps at full duplex which is really weird. i have tried cat5e/6/7 but all does the same. i have tried in cmd...
  10. No internet connection form Ethernet while Wireless works.

No internet connection form Ethernet while Wireless works.: Hello. My problem is this. My desktop for some reason can't connect to Ethernet, but it still can connect to the wireless connection(Wifi). I have no idea why this is and it's getting really annoying. Thanks to any one who could offer a fix *Smile 58686