Windows 10: Internet connection problem on Windows 2000 VM

Discus and support Internet connection problem on Windows 2000 VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having a really frustrating problem when trying to connect to the internet on my Windows 2000 Professional virtual machine running inside of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by TipsyGypsy, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Internet connection problem on Windows 2000 VM

Hi,
    I'm having a really frustrating problem when trying to connect to the internet on my Windows 2000 Professional virtual machine running inside of VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.2 on a Windows 10 host.

I downloaded the virtual machine from the internet (it already had the accessibility software I need) and extracted the files to C:\Users\Gypside\Documents\Virtual Machines. I then opened the virtual machine with VMware, press Control + B to power it on and selected "I copied it" when the dialogue appeared. From then on, I was unable to connect to the internet, even after trying multiple fixes including manually setting the MAC address and restarting the network adaptor. The weirdest part is that the icon in the taskbar says I'm connected, but internet explorer keeps saying "Cannot find server".

Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Gypsy

:)

TipsyGypsy, Jan 10, 2017

2. Connection problems with two networks (wired)

I have 3 PCs I use as workstations and 1 server with 3 virtual machines. All of them are Windows 10 Pro. All machines are connected to 2 physical networks (wired) – one for internet and one private network. The private network is connected via a smart
    switch with an IP address (gateway). The 3 WSs and the 3 VMs are run under the same Microsoft account.

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I have the following problem: 2 of the WSs cannot access files on the VM-Fileserver, until I disable the internet network connection on VM-Fileserver. The VM is visible on the WSs and can be accessed via Remote Desktop
    Connection, but the shared folder is not visible. Immediately after disabling the internet connection in the VM everything works fine. I think the suggestion to disable the other network connection came from the HomeGroup troubleshooter, but there was no other
    advice.

Gerry Jose, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Schism082 Win User
    No Internet in Hyper-V VM's

Hi, I have Windows 10 Enterprise and just added Hyper-V. I had 3 VM's on VMware Player and deleted and uninstalled Player. I have 3 Vm's on Hyper-V. My problem is I get no Internet on my Vm's. I am new to Hyper-V and would like to know how to connect these
    to the internet. I have "Virtual switch (automatic)" selected. They show no connections available in the VM's. How do I connect to the internet? (I'm on wifi.) I'm attaching a screenshot. Thanks

Internet connection problem on Windows 2000 VM [​IMG]

Schism082, Jan 10, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Internet connection problem on Windows 2000 VM

Don't see it mentioned but you may need Win2000's SP4 installed, I had to some years ago in a shop I worked in to get browser access.

Berton, Jan 10, 2017
  5. @Berton I already have Windows 2000 SP 4. Sorry I forgot to mention it.

TipsyGypsy, Jan 10, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

check firewalls and also ping router = W2000 is actually (apart from some versions of Win 2003) one of the best versions of Windows ever produced -- W7 and W10 perhaps compete these days but W200K really was a great OS.

Should be ZERO problem with connectivity.

Perhaps change VM connection from Bridged to NAT -- sometimes things like VMware hose these things up.

Anyway good luck for the New Year.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 10, 2017
  7. @jimbo45 I don't have any firewalls set up, nor does the VM have any built-in firewalls enabled as ICF isn't supported in Windows 2000. The problem could be down to 1 of 2 things.
    1: The virtual machine was copied (downloaded) causing config errors to arise.
    2: Windows 2000 doesn't support Wi-Fi connections (I could be wrong here).

P.S. I completely agree that Win 2000 is quite possibly the best OS. It was released on the year I was born (no bias intended).

P.P.S. The network configuration is already set to NAT.
    Gypsy

TipsyGypsy, Jan 10, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

I can confirm that Windows 2000 does run in vmware on Windows 10. I do have the latest SP installed and the vmware tools. I set the NAT to bridge mode.

swarfega, Jan 10, 2017
  9. Are you using ethernet or wi-Fi on the host?
    Gypsy

TipsyGypsy, Jan 10, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    Didn't know that was possible unless talking about Server 2003. Windows ME/Millennium Edition was the consumer version back then.

Berton, Jan 10, 2017
  11. Apparently Windows ME is an epic fail because it crashes all the time, gets BSoDs etc. Windows 2000 is like Windows ME on stabilisers, if you catch my drift.

TipsyGypsy, Jan 10, 2017
  12. Berton Win User
    The best I ever saw with WinME was on OEM computers and better control of hardware and the software/drivers for those devices. Upgrades gave the most trouble.

I still have a copy of Win2000 and if I ever come across a decent WinME or Vista computer I may install it. Of course I would need drivers. Always a hitch in well-laid plans.

Berton, Jan 10, 2017
  13. Internet connection problem on Windows 2000 VM

Just tried changing the network from NAT to bridged (the replicate physical network connection state checkbox was left unchecked) but still no connection.

TipsyGypsy, Jan 10, 2017
  14. swarfega Win User
    Currently using wifi though I have wired on here as well.

swarfega, Jan 11, 2017
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

On a VM the W2K O/S doesn't need to worry about Wifi or LAN since it's the HOST that controls access.
    The VMware virtual adapter should take care of everything -- usually a 1Gb/s connection -- although if Host wifi is slow you obviously won't get 1Gb/s Internet access on the VM.

Virtual hardware is the whole point of being able to run legacy OS'es -- for example you couldn't run W98 with a screen resolution of 4K (the new Ultra HD TV's). Works fine as a VM though !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Internet connection problem on Windows 2000 VM - Similar Threads - Internet connection problem

2. Azur VM doesn't connect to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Azur VM doesn't connect to internet: Hello, I have a Windows 11 VM in Azure.When I try to go to Google or any website it just says time out. What can I do to get internet working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/azur-vm-doesnt-connect-to-internet/01f0e562-4194-468e-912c-9ee2168968bb
  3. Azur VM doesn't connect to internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Azur VM doesn't connect to internet: Hello, I have a Windows 11 VM in Azure.When I try to go to Google or any website it just says time out. What can I do to get internet working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/azur-vm-doesnt-connect-to-internet/01f0e562-4194-468e-912c-9ee2168968bb
  4. internet connection problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    internet connection problem: Pressed Run on trouble shooter to find enclosed connection problems. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-connection-problem/8387e44f-39e7-4641-8f94-184f4cce2fb6
  5. Problems connecting to the internet.

Problems connecting to the internet.: My computer says The IntelR 1211 Gigabit Network Connection adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware- related problems. Not sure how to fix this. Please help....
  6. Problems with internet connection

Problems with internet connection: Hi, i have a problem with my internet connection. When i'm trying to play some games like PUBG my internet just dies Not every game, when i play LoL or PoE, its working fine . I still have internet on phone so it's something with pc. On event viewer i'm getting event id 1014,...
  7. internet connection problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet connection problems: hi, When i try to connect to my home wifi network which is private, it will connect to the internet but it does not show on my laptop that it is actually connected to the internet. I ran the trouble shooter and it says that i need to create an account at the internet...
  8. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  9. Windows 2000 sound problem

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows 2000 sound problem: Hi, I'm having a really frustrating sound problem with a Windows 2000 VMware virtual machine. The sound is slow, distorted and crackly. Every time I fire up Win 2000, I have to open a sound file (wav, mp3 etc) in Windows Media Player to fix the sound, but as soon as WMP is...
  10. Internet Connectivity Problem

Internet Connectivity Problem: I have trouble connecting to specific websites through specific means. I suspect that the Java update download problem I had earlier was part of it. I use a Rainmeter widget (Rainmeter calls them skins) to display a page from Yahoo! weather, and about a week ago it started...