Windows 10: Internet Connection Sharing and mobile hotspot. Windows 10 CU 1703

Discus and support Internet Connection Sharing and mobile hotspot. Windows 10 CU 1703 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a problem with my network sharing. Let me explain first. The dorm I live in only has wifi. WPA2- Enterprise security. I am able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kevingriffioen, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Internet Connection Sharing and mobile hotspot. Windows 10 CU 1703

Hi all,

I have a problem with my network sharing.

Let me explain first. The dorm I live in only has wifi. WPA2- Enterprise security. I am able to connect with this network with my laptop.

Because I want to have multiple ethernet connections in my dorm ( For my ps3, smart tv, Blu-Ray player) I shared my wifi network and with an ethernet out port on my laptop I connected my laptop to a router. So the connection is ethernet port on laptop to Internet port on my router. From there I connected all my devices to the router.
    - This worked! Until now ..

I was watching netflix on my smart tv. Laptop was on, the internet LED on my router was on, like it is normally. And suddenly my movie started buffering and netflix gave an error that it was disconnected from the internet. I restarted my laptop, router, tv, everything! And after about 30 minutes of figuring out what the problem was I noticed that when I share my network and have the build in windows hotspot disabled. The shared connection does not reach my router and my tv has no internet. Then I turned the hotspot on. No devices connected. And suddely my router got internet signal again.

- Very strange. Now I cannot share my wifi network over laptop ethernet port to my router without having the build in windows hotspot turned on. This isnt that big of a problem. Except, The hotspot keeps turning itself off every 5 mins.

And the weirdest thing is, I never had this problem before. I never even used the windows hotspot before.

I tried reinstalling drivers, restarting router, Resetting router. There is no way I can undo this.

Please help me. I think it is a bug in windows 10.

[summary: windows 10 build in hotspot needs to be on to share my wifi connection through ethernet port]

:)

kevingriffioen, Oct 23, 2017

2. Lumia 640 turn on data connection

To turn on mobile hotspot (internet sharing) on Windows Phone 8.1, go to Settings > Mobile+SIM > Internet Sharing. You can rename your hotspot and password.

If you're using Windows 10 mobile, got to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot.

Maximum 8 devices can be connected to your hotspot network. It'll use your mobile data connection.

Dhruv Nath, Oct 23, 2017
  3. Problem with Mobile Hotspot feature in Windows 10 v1607

Hi, I have a Lenovo G580 model 20157. About 2 weeks ago i was using windows 10 v1511 and then my lap got upgraded to windows 10 v1607. In windows 10 v1511 i had a habit of creating a virtual hotspot by using the command netsh wlan start hostednetwork after
    setting the desired ssid and password. In windows 10 v1607 also i did this. Then i came to know a new feature in this windows, that is mobile hotspot. So i tried it out. It didn't turn on when my hotspot created by cmd command was on. So i stopped the cmd
    hotspot and then switched on the mobile hotspot. I tried connecting my phone to it. It got stuck on obtaining ip address. So i went to internet connection sharing tab of my lan network. I realized there that the hotspot to whom i am sharing my internet is
    indeed the one which was created through cmd. There was no option to share the internet to mobile hotspot. So i had two options : 1)Either i should use only cmd hotspot and enable internet conection sharing to it or 2) I should totally disable internet connection
    sharing through my lan network. I chose to use mobile hotspot. So i switched off mobile hotspot, started cmd hotspot and then went to network and sharing center. There i disabled sharing internet connection to Local Area Connection*3,that is my cmd hotspot.
    Then i stopped cmd hotspot and started mobile hotspot. And then my phone successfully got connected. I was in relief and decided to use only mobile hotspot. But that day after restarting my computer for some update, i realized a problem. I turned on mobile
    hotspot. But my phone didn't connect to it and again got stuck on obtaining ip address. $So i stopped mobile hotspot, turned on cmd hotspot, went to network and sharing center, enabled internet connection sharing to local area connection*3 (CMD hotspot), then
    disabled internet connection sharing to it and then i turned on mobile hotspot. Now again my phone got successfully coneected$. If you didn't understand this then in simple language my problem is that i have to repeat the whole procedure marked between two
    dollar signs every time i restart my lap. Please provide a solution. (For your information the cmd hotspot is started through Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter while mobile hotspot is through Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3 in my screenshot)
    Internet Connection Sharing and mobile hotspot. Windows 10 CU 1703 [​IMG]

Asad Shaikh_94, Oct 23, 2017
  4. Internet Connection Sharing and mobile hotspot. Windows 10 CU 1703

Hi kevingriffioen.

Have a look at your Windows update history. What was installed just before this happen? Have you tried rolling it, them, back?

Here is what I think is happening. It is considered, at least in the Corporate world, a security risk to have a connection to a wireless network and a wired network at the same time. I think now you have the choice between wired and wireless. Windows sees the connection on the wired lan and shuts down the wireless connection. When you turn on the mobile hotspot that overrides the shutting off of wireless. Again I think.

This article is Windows 7 but it gives you the concepts and for some screens the isn’t a lot of change in 10, at least not yet.

https://superuser.com/questions/4796...e-in-windows-7

Others may have a better explanation or fix. Please note exactly what you change so you can undo.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 23, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Additionally, in light of a security hole recently discovered, they may have updated your router to patch it.

Also, does the school throttle it down at a certain hour or when you use up your share of data? It is the end of the month.

Tony K, Oct 23, 2017
  6. No it is unlimited internet. Never had any problem. I am now checking my update history.

7. There was no update yesterday. The last update is from october 18th. And like I said, it worked perfectly until yesterday evening..

I also tried changing the automatic metric. As shown in the post you linked. But that didnt help either.

-Kevin

8. Internet Connection Sharing and mobile hotspot. Windows 10 CU 1703

Well if no update and you think its a glitch then you could use the Network Reset built into windows 10. Although as pointed out maybe the Dorm's policies have changed.

Start => Settings => Network & internet => scroll down right hand side => Network Reset

You will "Forget" wireless passwords and may have to reset custom communication packages like VPN clienst.

Additional if you have restore points enable you could restore to a time before the incident.

Members use a tool like Macrium Reflect to Image their machines. Very handy to restore a machine to a working time. Please have a read.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 23, 2017
  9. Ken, Thank you so much.

This worked. I dont know what went wrong but it is back to normal now.

-Kevin

10. Excellent. When you say this work, was it the network reset. (or restore points) Glad the forum could help.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Internet Connection Sharing and mobile hotspot. Windows 10 CU 1703

1. Internet Connection Sharing and mobile hotspot. Windows 10 CU 1703 - Similar Threads - Internet Connection Sharing

2. Mobile Hotspot Connected but No Internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mobile Hotspot Connected but No Internet: Hi, I am a Windows 10 user. I was hoping to use my Ethernet internet on my laptop to my Android Smartphone. Even after Sharing the Internet Connection from Ethernet properties as shown in the image, I am not able to access internet on my android smartphone which says...
  3. Mobile Hotspot Connected but No Internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mobile Hotspot Connected but No Internet: Hi, I am a Windows 10 user. I was hoping to use my Ethernet internet on my laptop to my Android Smartphone. Even after Sharing the Internet Connection from Ethernet properties as shown in the image, I am not able to access internet on my android smartphone which says...
  4. Mobile Hotspot Connected but No Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Mobile Hotspot loses internet connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mobile Hotspot loses internet connection: Hi,Asus GL702VI laptop running Windows 10 version 21H1. Internal network adapter is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265. External network adapter is a USB Alfa AWUS036ACH paired with 2 x Alfa 9 dbi antennas. I'm currently working remotely and having to use a cousin's internet...
  6. Mobile Hotspot - No Internet Connection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mobile Hotspot - No Internet Connection: So i'm trying to set up the mobile hotpsot functionality on my PC, It is connnected via ehternet and i want to use that stability to create a hotspot in my room, however i cant seem to get an internet connection to be shared, I've created the network and changed the...
  7. mobile hotspot connected no internet access

mobile hotspot connected no internet access: my lenovo laptop mobile hotspot connected on my mobile but its showing no internet access how did i fix this issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mobile-hotspot-connected-no-internet-access/32bf7c6d-c825-440e-9a20-314102d2cb0f
  8. Mobile hotspot in Windows 10, but internet not shared

Mobile hotspot in Windows 10, but internet not shared: Dear, Please have a look at the highlighted text, it shows "Hosted network support" is not supported. Can u please guide me? Do I need to update any hardware or software for this to get supported? Thanks Saneejali [ATTACH]...
  9. Windows 10 mobile hotspot 'no internet connection'

Windows 10 mobile hotspot 'no internet connection': Hi I am having issues with windows 10 mobile hotspot. My ethernet is working fine - have updated to windows 10 2018 October update. If I try to connect to the windows 10 hotspot it says 'no internet connection' on any device I try to connect to it. Never had this issue...
  10. Sharing a VPN Internet over Mobile hotspot in Windows 10

Sharing a VPN Internet over Mobile hotspot in Windows 10: I want to share my VPN internet connection over wifi. please help me regarding this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/sharing-a-vpn-internet-over-mobile-hotspot-in/d732977f-79aa-4c9e-972c-1ec4c01fc1e1