Windows 10: Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) never starts

Discus and support Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) never starts in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After the most recent Feature Update (1709) it turned out that I can't use my Mobile Hotspot option anymore. After checking all possible options and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DenizC, Nov 21, 2017.

1. DenizC Win User

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) never starts

After the most recent Feature Update (1709) it turned out that I can't use my Mobile Hotspot option anymore. After checking all possible options and searching for advises on the Internet for similar issues, I realized that in Services.msc, the status of Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is frozen on Starting and it will never actually start.

I tried starting it with all 4 possible startup types, checked the status of the other services on which ICS depends (all of which seemed to have the desired default settings), run sfc /scannow, did a clean boot even with my third-party antivirus software uninstalled, even added a DWORD type registry key EnableRebootPersistConnection on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedAccess with value 1 as suggested on another forum. Unfortunately, none of that has helped me so far.

:)

DenizC, Nov 21, 2017

2. Update available... but no way to install it!

Disable what?

ICS like in Internet Connection Sharing?

If that is the case, well it's not enabled, and never was.

Or is it another ICS you're referring to? Can you elaborate? Thanks

fridaychild, Nov 21, 2017
  3. I3V
    i3v Win User
    Problems with Internet Connection Sharing after 2017-11 Windows 10 Update [Temporary fix found]

I'd like to also mention probably the oldest and the largest thread about this:

It looks like it was not mentioned here before.

The Firewall -> "Reset Default Policy" trick worked for me, thanks!

Related feedback on feedback hub (for insiders):

4. bro67 Win User

First, stop messing with the registry. Second off, ICS is not used that much by Windows 10, unless you are using Home Group. As for your mobile hotspot, did you put in your post the mfg, model and cell carrier? No you did not.

bro67, Nov 21, 2017
  5. DenizC Win User
    To make things clear, I need to get ICS running so that I can enable sharing my Ethernet connection through Control Pannel>Network Connections>right click on Ethernet>Sharing (tab)>Allow other network users to connect through this network's Internet connection.
    However, every time I try to enable this option (clicking the checkbox and then hitting OK), the properties window always freezes. This was the first thing I noticed when I couldn't start the Mobile Hotspot function on Windows 10 after the aforementioned update which made me realize that the problem is more deeply rooted.

I was using the Mobile Hotspot option on Windows 10 (before that one was added on one of the major updates, I had been doing it the old-fashioned way with netsh commands on Command Prompt) to connect the wired Intenet connection of my laptop with my mobile devices and until the aforementioned update it was working fine.

DenizC, Nov 21, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Again, what is the model and mfg of the hotspot you are using, along with cell carrier. Writing out a thesis will just cause you to fall on deaf ears. Same as you need to stop playing around with the registry, or you will screw things up even further, which will mean doing a clean install, that would cause you to have to reinstall everything over again.

bro67, Nov 22, 2017
  7. DenizC Win User
    Once again, I'm trying to turn my PC into a Mobile Hotspot, not my mobile devices. It's simply the built-in Mobile Hotspot option on Windows 10 that I'm trying to activate (no third-party software involved) so that I can share the wired ethernet connection of my PC with my smartphone and tablet, not the other way arround.

If you think that the problem might be hardware related, here are the network adapters used by my PC:
    - Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)
    - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

DenizC, Nov 22, 2017
  8. DenizC Win User

Nevermind, I solved it. Apparently the update messed up the Firewall settings on Windows to a point of affecting ICS. All I needed to do was to choose the Restore firewalls to default option on Windows Defender Security Center.

DenizC, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) never starts - Similar Threads - Internet Connection Sharing

2. Internet Connection Sharing ICS stop after reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Connection Sharing ICS stop after reboot: Hi,Some weeks ago I created a VPN at my home with OpenVPN 2.6.4. I installed server version on my home workstation Windows 10 Pro 22H2 version that I can access from my Android phone and other PCs out of my home. It worked well on these days on both client and server side,...
  3. Internet Connection Sharing ICS stop after reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Connection Sharing ICS stop after reboot: Hi,Some weeks ago I created a VPN at my home with OpenVPN 2.6.4. I installed server version on my home workstation Windows 10 Pro 22H2 version that I can access from my Android phone and other PCs out of my home. It worked well on these days on both client and server side,...
  4. Internet Connection Sharing ICS stop after reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet: Summary:We are experiencing intermittent issues with ICS Internet Connection Sharing and have a hard time figuring out the root cause. The setup is as follows: 1. The PC Host is connected to a RNDIS device Device via USB cable2. The RNDIS Device, when connected creates a...
  6. Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet: Summary:We are experiencing intermittent issues with ICS Internet Connection Sharing and have a hard time figuring out the root cause. The setup is as follows: 1. The PC Host is connected to a RNDIS device Device via USB cable2. The RNDIS Device, when connected creates a...
  7. Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet

8. Unable to stop Internet Connection Sharing ICS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to stop Internet Connection Sharing ICS: Hi, I was unable to stop ICS on my Services control panel. The error message shows, ``` Windows could not stop the Internet Connection Sharing ICS service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service...
  9. Internet Connection Sharing ICS is slow Windows 10

Internet Connection Sharing ICS is slow Windows 10: Hello, I have a problem with slow internet using Internet Connection Sharing on Windows 10. The scenario: PC A has no wifi antenna but needs internet. PC B has a wifi antenna and is connected to the internet via wifi. With an ethernet cable A is connected to B. B is using...
  10. Another internet connection sharing (ICS) issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Another internet connection sharing (ICS) issue: So I've got two PCs running Windows 1903, one laptop, one desktop. I cannot run an ethernet cable to my router, but I can run one from my laptop to my desktop. I enabled ICS and BOOM, it was awesome at first. Now it's shockingly sluggish and I'm lucky if I get any data...