Windows 10: Internet connection speed challenge

Discus and support Internet connection speed challenge in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When using wireless internet our 2 Dell laptops are getting download speeds of around 1.4Mbps. (we have a service that offers up to 24Mbps speeds).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, May 17, 2016.

1. Internet connection speed challenge

When using wireless internet our 2 Dell laptops are getting download speeds of around 1.4Mbps. (we have a service that offers up to 24Mbps speeds).

Using the same wireless internet, my linx tablet gets a speed of 15Mbps, ten times as fast.

When we connect a laptop to the router using the ethernet cable we can also get that 15Mbps.

So the challenge appears to us to be around using the Dells with a wireless connection.

The network and Bluetooth drivers are the correct ones for Windows 10.

Can anyone suggest how we might resolve this please (and if there are things needing to be checked or settings changed, please explain exactly where to find them as chances are I won't know *Huh).

Thanks

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, May 17, 2016
  2. Majormom Win User

windows 10 scanner problem

Is the computer printer connection wireless or hard wired? Don't know for sure, but would think that could impact connection speed. My challenge was really unrelated.

Majormom, May 17, 2016
  3. I upgrade to windows 10 and get awful internet connection

Hi,

The challenge that you are experiencing with your internet speed can occur due to several reasons. To better assist you with your concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you experiencing this issue all the time?
    • Are you using a laptop or a desktop?
    • Are you using a wired connection?

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, May 17, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Internet connection speed challenge

What's the make/model of Dell laptops? Are you sure you have the correct "supported" wifi drivers? Do you know what wifi speed those Dell laptops are using.....ie...G, N or AC? G is the slowest and AC is the latest and fastest type. Most commonly N is used and N comes in various speeds.

Plankton, May 17, 2016
  5. I have deleted all network protocols, but IPv4, disabled IPv6, LMHOSTS Lookup and NetBIOS, setup IP and DNS manually. Getting 10's WiFi up to speed is a real challenge. This my WiFi vs LAN, next to the router.

TairikuOkami, May 17, 2016
  6. Didn't include model details as it's in my system spec (Inspiron 15 3521).

Used 'Update Driver Software' option in Device Manager for network adapters and Bluetooth and got a message saying Windows considered I had the best drivers already.

G, N or AC ... ???? As I said in my original post, anything technical and I need to know where to find it please.

7. I haven't made any changes like these (wouldn't know how to).

On both laptops, sitting a few feet from the router, we get around 1.4 - 1.5Mbps on wireless, ten times this on an Ethernet connection. On linx tablet, sitting right next to a laptop, we get 15Mbps on wireless.

So 15Mbps on W10 is potentially possible it seems...

8. Internet connection speed challenge

If its any help, i have the same laptop, these are the driver details for my WiFi (I get 35 down via WiFi)

Internet connection speed challenge [​IMG]

paulsalter, May 17, 2016
  9. badrobot Win User
    This may not be an actual solution but most of the time it's also a factor. Is your Bluetooth always enabled? I asked because I remember some time ago I was having an interference issue between my wifi and Bluetooth signals. My wifi signal is being blocked by Bluetooth and I can hardly connect to the wifi. When I turned Bluetooth off , my wifi connection ramped up.

Also, try going to Dell support site and download updated drivers directly from there. I noticed that there are Windows 10 drivers for you laptop and the latest update for your network driver was just this month.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3521/drivers/advanced?

os=wt64a

badrobot, May 17, 2016
  10. That's the one we've got Paul.

11. We don't usually have Bluetooth enabled as we have no need for our laptops to communicate with each other or with anything else.

I will have a look at the Dell website again. I looked earlier today and that driver didn't show for my Service Tag (but ours - like Paul's above - is Dell Wireless 1703 and the driver is for 1704/1708 so maybe not for us?)

12. have a look at this setting, trying to remember but there was something i changed and i think it was this
    initially it was set to 20 only, which gave me slow speeds

paulsalter, May 17, 2016
  13. badrobot Win User

The 1703 is also for your laptop but it's for Windows 7. If you change the OS to Win 10 as shown below, 1704/1708 will appear.

badrobot, May 17, 2016
  14. That did the trick! Many thanks Paul, and everyone who offered solutions. *Thumbs*Dinesh

15. Good to hear it worked for you *Smile

paulsalter, May 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Internet connection speed challenge - Similar Threads - Internet connection speed

2. Internet connection sharing poor speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet connection sharing poor speed: Hi guys!!so I have a PC that streams my VR games through a router so that I can play downstairs on my headset cord free. That router is independent and is solely used for the VR headset.I want this router to have access to my PC's the internet connection there is no way to...
  3. Internet connection sharing poor speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet connection sharing poor speed: Hi guys!!so I have a PC that streams my VR games through a router so that I can play downstairs on my headset cord free. That router is independent and is solely used for the VR headset.I want this router to have access to my PC's the internet connection there is no way to...
  4. Internet connection sharing poor speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet connection issues -- Low download speeds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internet connection issues -- Low download speeds: Hello, I am currently experiencing slow download speeds on my windows 10 PC.Within the Status of my network in Network Connections my WiFi is showing a speed of 800+ Mbps, this problems also occurs the same for an ethernet connection, however, it seems my "true" connection...
  6. Internet connection issues -- Low download speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet connection issues -- Low download speeds: Hello, I am currently experiencing slow download speeds on my windows 10 PC.Within the Status of my network in Network Connections my WiFi is showing a speed of 800+ Mbps, this problems also occurs the same for an ethernet connection, however, it seems my "true" connection...
  7. Best way to test internet connection speeds

Best way to test internet connection speeds: Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the most reliable way to test my internet connection. I normally use speedtest.net but i discovered I get completely different results depending on what browser i use. My speeds will show up as 200mbps or 600-700mbps for up or...
  8. Slow download speed High internet connection

Slow download speed High internet connection: Hi i don't know how is this possible but when i run internet test speed i have around 32.00 Mbps and upload is 32.59 Mbps but when i start download games from steam or uplay or origin download speed is only around 4 MB/s. I have reinstalled windows and updated drivers...
  9. Problem with internet speed connection. Slower internet on win 10.

Problem with internet speed connection. Slower internet on win 10.: Hi all. I have a weird problem with my internet connection. After i had instaled win 10, my interned slowed down. Before i had speed around 50 mbps (old result under) [img] Now my speed is 10-15 mbps - no more. [img] I do not know what to do. I did nothing...
  10. Internet connection very slow, speed normal.

Internet connection very slow, speed normal.: Running version 11099 6a bit Pro Firefox Avast premium Router Asus AC1900 Please note system specs are for another computer. Firefox is running at it's normal speed but when I try to connect to ANY website it seems to take forever to connect. My wife's laptop...