Windows 10: Internet Explorer 11 Will Not Open

Discus and support Internet Explorer 11 Will Not Open in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; IE 11 will not open. I’m on Windows 10 and have been trouble free since upgrading from Windows 7 some months ago. I had been using IE 11 without any... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Nivrip, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Nivrip Win User

Internet Explorer 11 Will Not Open

IE 11 will not open. I’m on Windows 10 and have been trouble free since upgrading from Windows 7 some months ago.

I had been using IE 11 without any problems and then had about an hour and a half break. I returned to the PC to find that the programme (IE11)would not open at all.

First, I rebooted, no change. Then I tried resetting IE to its default state, no change again. However, the instructions for doing this state “click Close and then OK” but on clicking “Close” the whole thing disappears and there is no option to click “OK”. Is this relevant?

Then I went to System Restore. Something must have happened towards the end of last session I had because I found a System Restore point just before I finished the session. Anyhow, I tried three different System Restore points, including that last one, but all of them failed to restore the system due to error 0X80070005. So, no further forward.

Then I tried Troubleshooting in the Control Panel but again no joy.

I do have Microsoft Edge which works perfectly well and, as far as I know, everything else on my PC is working too.

Where can I go from here? All comments gratefully received.

:)

Nivrip, Nov 24, 2016

2. Internet Explorer 11 Will Not Open

See if you can open and browse with IE using either one of these procedures.

Try both and let us know which worked (if either did.)

1. Open Run from [Windows logo key + r] Type in iexplore.exe -extoff (iexplore.exe<space>-extoff) then hit Enter. This will open Internet Explorer in no add-ons mode.

2. Open Run from [Windows logo key + r] Type in iexplore.exe -nohome(iexplore.exe<space>-nohome) then hit Enter. This will open Internet Explorer to a blank homepage.

Don

Don Varnau, Nov 24, 2016
  3. Internet Explorer 11 Will Not Open

Thanks for the update.

Don

Don Varnau, Nov 24, 2016
  4. torre Win User

To reset IE Internet Options/Advanced/Reset.

0X80070005 error normally pertains to an update issue (not being able to install) Have you checked for recent updates ?
    You may want to google the error number for other info.

Also, run sfc/scannow to check for file corruptions. Click on the tutorials or use the search block above for more info on the issue.

As a last resort, you may have to Reset. Settings/Update/Recovery

torre, Nov 25, 2016
  5. Nivrip Win User
    Hi torre,

I've checked all the recent updates and all seems to be OK.

I've also run through sfc/scannow and it did, at first, tell me that there were errors I then ran through the sfc/ repair set up which told me that the errors had been repaired but still no luck.

Nivrip, Nov 25, 2016
  6. torre Win User
    - Did you try a System Restore after the sfc/scannow ?

- Did you try to reset IE ( Internet Options/Advanced/Reset) ? (I do not recall an "ok/close" option when I have reset IE. As I recall, it required a browser restart of a system restart)

- Have you scanned for malware ?

torre, Nov 25, 2016
  7. Nivrip Win User
    Hi again torre,

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.*Smile

The good news is that my problem has been resolved. It was suggested to me that I switch off Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free. When I did this everything returned to normal. This is very strange as that program has been on my PC for well over six months ! There may have been a recent update and I suspect that it was this that caused the problem.

Let's hope this is some help to others in the future. *Smile

Nivrip, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet Explorer 11 Will Not Open - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer Open

2. Internet Explorer not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer not opening: I want to use internet explorer because some of my legacy websites works only in internet explorer. But whenever i open internet explorer it goes directly to Microsoft edge. How to stop edge being opened....
  3. Internet Explorer not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Explorer not opening: I want to use internet explorer because some of my legacy websites works only in internet explorer. But whenever i open internet explorer it goes directly to Microsoft edge. How to stop edge being opened....
  4. Internet Explorer not opening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Internet Explorer 11 Crashes Immediately Upon Opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internet Explorer 11 Crashes Immediately Upon Opening: This just started to be a problem on two computers I oversee. As soon as you open IE11 you get a white screen - not responding - and then about 20 seconds later it closes. I have tried everything except for a fresh install... I've reset IE to default, I've uninstalled by...
  6. PDF opening Internet explorer 11

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF opening Internet explorer 11: Hello, I am using Windows 10 LTSC 2019 and when trying to view a PDF in IE11 it appears as a grey screen. However when you refresh the page a few times it then appears. Other browsers work absolutley fine, so am instructing people to use them for now, but does anyone know a...
  7. Internet explorer will not open

in Browsers and Email
    Internet explorer will not open: I have suddenly found that IE will not open. When you click on it to open you get the working circle for a few seconds and then nothing. I have tried using a different user account on the same PC, I have run SFC /scannow which reports no errors, I have also checked in...
  8. Internet Explorer 11 - Opens in Background FOR NO APPARENT REASON

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Explorer 11 - Opens in Background FOR NO APPARENT REASON: Internet Explorer continues to open in the background with ridiculous stories about Hollywood. I do not know what is causing this nor how to stop it....
  9. Internet Explorer 11 not opening

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer 11 not opening: Internet explorer 11 will not open, did an upgrade from 8.1 to 10 home edition. I have run a repair install & dism /restorehealth , unchecked ie 11 in programs & features rebooted and still nothing need help. 23760
  10. Open with Internet Explorer

in Browsers and Email
    Open with Internet Explorer: I have 1 desktop and 2 All In Ones which I am trying to configure to W10. I just changed the desktop to IE using the switch under the three dots where it says open with IE. I tried to do the same with this AIO and that switch doesn't work. I attempted to reset the default...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internet explorer 11 not opening

2. ie 11 in windows 10 will not open

3. internet explorer 11 will not open