Windows 10: Internet Explorer 11 won't launch after Sept 13, 2017 Windows update

Discus and support Internet Explorer 11 won't launch after Sept 13, 2017 Windows update in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, IE11 won't launch any more on my laptop- seemed to happen after the big 9/13 update so I'm guessing it's related. When I try to launch from... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Bartman, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Bartman Win User

Internet Explorer 11 won't launch after Sept 13, 2017 Windows update

Hi, IE11 won't launch any more on my laptop- seemed to happen after the big 9/13 update so I'm guessing it's related. When I try to launch from anywhere (taskbar, clicking on a link etc), the spinning wheel appears for a moment, that's it. I've trawled the web and tried pretty much every suggested fix I could find. It seems something similar has happened to others after upgrading to 10, however mine was pre-installed and I haven't seen anyone else with exactly the same complaint. I don't want to do a re-install if I can help it...also I found I had system restore turned off unfortunately. Has this happened to anyone else?

I don't really want to change browsers. As mentioned above I have tried all the fixes I could find but would welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

:)

Bartman, Sep 13, 2017

2. Error message 0xc0000020

Edition is Windows 10 Home

Version 1607

OS Build 14393.1770

Money was last successfully opened on 13 Sept 2017

Recent Updates to Windows 10 installed on the following dates

12 Sept 2017

29 Sept 2017

11 Oct 2017

13 Oct 2017

27 Oct 2017

KeithHalford, Sep 13, 2017
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Error message 0xc0000020

Thank you for your reply.

Just to verify, have you tried running the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter? If yes, what was the result?

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Riel Alc, Sep 13, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

Hi,
    I would try these, you may well have done so already:
    1) SFC
    2) DISM
    Comprehensive guides on here for those.

I would also look at McAfee security suite, such applications can and do mess with Web Browsers.
    Try switching off any interfering component, or uninstall McAfee, check IE, then re-install McAfee. and so on. To try and suss it out, eliminate possibilities.

System Restore is off by default in Windows 10. On mine all Restore Points were deleted except 2 made at the recent update time (12 Sept).

There were security updates for IE, what happened to mine was only the Tabs row had moved and had to be moved back.

Helmut, Sep 13, 2017
  5. Bartman Win User
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I tried SFC already and will try the others, will post the results here!

Bartman, Sep 13, 2017
  6. torre Win User
    torre, Sep 14, 2017
  7. Bartman Win User
    Helmut, I tried SFC and DISM with no success. As for McAfee, just turning it off doesn't make a difference. I'm hesitant to uninstall that as it came preinstalled and I'm not even sure how to get it back if I do.... it's always run so flawlessly and invisibly that I never paid much attention to it. But I will try that if other fixes don't work.

Torre, I have IE pinned to the taskbar and start from there generally but it also won't launch from apps, clicking a link etc. How would I go about uninstalling the last updates to confirm if that's the problem?

Bartman, Sep 14, 2017
  8. Bartman Win User

OK, I've got the uninstall updates thread and will give that a try. Cheers,

Bartman, Sep 14, 2017
  9. Bartman Win User
    Hey, I'd seen that thread and gave it a try, no luck....

There were a ton of updates on the 13th, think I should uninstall the lot or would there be some clearly unrelated?

Bartman, Sep 14, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    You chould try uninstalling '2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703... (KB4038788)'. If that doesn't fix it (by taking you back to os build 15063.540) then try the '2017-09 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703... (KB4038806)'.

Those are the only two updates that relate directly to Windows and IE. (worked fine on mine though).

11. Flashorn Win User
    Try using the System Restore. Hope it's ON for the drive you are using though.

All Control panel
    System
    Left hand side: System Protection
    Small window will open
    Click on the System Protection tab at the top of the window.
    On that tab, see that you have a ON next to the OS HDD.
    If so, click on the System Restore button just above.
    Another small window will appear.
    IF you see any Restore points in the middle of this window then
    look a bit lower and put a check mark {click} in the checkbox
    next to "Show more Restore Points".

Choose [click] one that is Before you installed the updates. Next, click on "Scan for affected programs".

This should tell you if you return to the point you chose, which programs or Updates will be deleted.Click on the Next button on the bottom right to restore the OS to that point in time.

Flashorn, Sep 14, 2017
  12. @Bartman,

How about rolling back with a system image backup taken when IE11 used to work normally before the updates. My experience with system restore is that sometimes it doesn't even work if the restore point was done too far back in the past...I always backup (system image) almost every day following the 3,2,1 principle of a good backup plan. That has saved my bacon countless of times.. After that, you can always pause Windows Updates for a while. Just a suggestion..!

IronZorg89, Sep 14, 2017
  13. Bartman Win User

Interestingly the cumulative one is not in my list of updates, I am completely up to date though according to Windows Update.

I have 55 updates from "MS Office SharePoint Designer 2010" including a big bunch of MS Office 2010 updates, I wonder why that would be as I am on Office 2016? (Maybe 2010 was preinstalled but not activated....)

Apart from that I have 3 updates only from Microsoft Windows:

Internet Explorer 11 won't launch after Sept 13, 2017 Windows update [​IMG]

I tried uninstalling the Flash player one already. Can try the other from 9/13 I guess

Bartman, Sep 14, 2017
  14. Bartman Win User
    Thanks, although as mentioned in my first post, System Restore was turned off....

Bartman, Sep 14, 2017
  15. Flashorn Win User
    Sorry, missed that one.

Since it's turned off, you should turn it on ASAP. it might not serve you at the moment but it is a backup solution for latter.
    For the record, I have used this function quite a few times since XP and it hasn't failed me yet.

You should also activate DEP for all your programs.

Configure or Turn Off DEP (Data Execution Prevention) in Windows

Windows offers us tools to help defend and protect us against intrusions BUT, doesn't tell you or turn them on by default.

The next time you are itching to install updates when they come out, stop and take a look at what Woody has to say about
    installing early [beta] updates from MS:

AskWoody

Flashorn, Sep 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Internet Explorer 11 won't launch after Sept 13, 2017 Windows update - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer won't

2. Windows 10 won't stop updating !!!!!!!! same as Created on February 13, 2017 , two years...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't stop updating !!!!!!!! same as Created on February 13, 2017 , two years...: New here and need help. I have new compuers and in the guest room which is rarely used an older but updated, windows kept...
  3. How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?

in Browsers and Email
    How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?: Sometimes applications may show a popup telling there is an update adding a link to download or to release notes. It may happen that Internet Explorer is being launched, rather than my default (3rd party) browser. I would expect Edge to be launched then, instead of IE....
  4. How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?: Sometimes applications may show a popup telling there is an update adding a link to download or to release notes. It may happen that Internet Explorer is being launched, rather than my default (3rd party) browser. I would expect Edge to be launched then, instead of IE....
  5. Windows update Sept 12 no internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows update Sept 12 no internet connection: My surface pro 3 got a windows update last night, Sept 12, 2018. Now I can not connect to the internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-update-sept-12-no-internet-connection/180f74c0-dc3d-40a4-a9ef-933c48e50941
  6. KB4457426 Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer - Sept. 11

in Windows 10 News
    KB4457426 Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer - Sept. 11: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: September 11, 2018 Applies to: Internet Explorer 11, Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 9 Summary This security update resolves several reported vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. The most severe of these...
  7. Internet Explorer 11 after 1803 update

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer 11 after 1803 update: 1803 update went as expected and everything appeared OK until I attempted to open Internet Explorer via mouse click on the Taskbar icon (which failed) and via the Windows START Menu, which also failed. IE does open after a Right click on the Taskbar icon followed by a Right...
  8. Internet Explorer won't start after windows 10 update

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer won't start after windows 10 update: After latest update of windows 10 few days ago, IE will not start. I have tried system file checker that didn't detect anything. I tried disabling and re-enabling IE from "turn windows features on or off", but still nothing. I have scanned with malwarebytes, superantispyware...
  9. After Fall Update 2017 Pins to File Explorer on Taskbar Don't Launch

in Windows 10 Support
    After Fall Update 2017 Pins to File Explorer on Taskbar Don't Launch: Since the Fall Update (2017) installed, the folders I have pinned to the File Explorer icon on my taskbar do not launch. I tried unpinning and then repinning but it made no difference. I also pinned a new folder which was never pinned before and it does not launch either....
  10. Outlook 2007 KB4011110 Security Update Sept. 19, 2017

in Windows 10 News
    Outlook 2007 KB4011110 Security Update Sept. 19, 2017: Description of the security update for Outlook 2007: September 19, 2017 Summary This update provides defense-in-depth changes to help improve security in Microsoft Outlook 2007. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Advisory ADV170015. Note To apply this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internet explorer 11 KB4457426 problem with others applications