Windows 10: Internet Explorer dead

Discus and support Internet Explorer dead in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Everything was hunky dory until just after I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo via Cnet. Probably just a coincidence as I have had no trouble using either... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tinmar49, Oct 16, 2014.

1. tinmar49 Win User

Internet Explorer dead

Everything was hunky dory until just after I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo via Cnet. Probably just a coincidence as I have had no trouble using either before. I E refused to start and the only option was to reload W 10 afresh.

:)

tinmar49, Oct 16, 2014

2. Cortana dead, Internet Explorer dead, START button dead after latest MS update

Several different websites have entries (153 last count) like mine and include what I experienced,--that the latest Microsoft "update" that was pushed onto my machine destroyed critical parts of Windows 10.

My question: Is Microsoft going to issue a "correcting" update or do we all have to pay $99 to MS support to fix their mistake or attempt to reinstall Windows 10 to make our computers work?

MerylWieder, Oct 16, 2014
  3. Entegy Win User
    Microsoft Silverlite

Internet Explorer on Windows Phone (Windows Mobile is the old, dead product) does not use any sort of plugins and that includes Silverlight.

Entegy, Oct 16, 2014
  4. tinmar49 Win User

Internet Explorer dead

Internet Explorer dead [​IMG]

tinmar49, Oct 16, 2014
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Can you just run the System Restore ?
    FYI, you can download crystal diskinfo from this site, it's safer:CrystalDiskInfo.V6.2.0

topgundcp, Oct 16, 2014
  6. JDobbsy1987, Oct 16, 2014
  7. tinmar49 Win User
    Everything worked except I E and I booted up with my dvd and chose the repair option. Restore did not work and remove updates didn't either. My only option was to reload W10 afresh. This time I was asked for the product key. Loading seemed to take longer than the original install with an empty hdd.

tinmar49, Oct 16, 2014
  8. Internet Explorer dead

So have you re-installed Windows 10?

JDobbsy1987, Oct 16, 2014
  9. tinmar49 Win User
    Yes, having an internet connection working is essential and it's no real bother to me reloading Windows, one of the benefits of being retired. It's a shame that Microsoft didn't get feedback on the problem (unless they read this forum).I am posting this via the reloaded W10.

tinmar49, Oct 16, 2014
  10. No telling what CNET bundled into Crystal Disk, and I am noticing it is bundled in its own site's Download too. This makes it extra important to read every screen including the License agreement to decline anything they've added.

When this happens I would download, install, decline trial, update and run full scans with Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software and SUPERAntiSpyware - Downloads which you can run side by side on desktop.

WHile they run, check your browser Add-on's to see that nothing has snuck in except Flash, a Reader and trusted ones you use. Then check Search defaults and engines in browser for other sneakware.

Cull Control Panel>Programs and Features to look for anything you didn't install and don't need. The scans may have already flagged these for removal but uninstall them here anyway.

It is a concern that you have no System Restore points. Check that System Protection is turned on and has plenty of disk space apportioned in the same location as here: System Protection - Change Disk Space Usage - Windows 7 Help Forums

gregrocker, Oct 16, 2014
  11. tinmar49 Win User
    I was careful to reject all the unwanted stuff when I downloaded via CNET. I will certainly be setting up restore as everything worked except IE.

tinmar49, Oct 17, 2014
  12. This will be the case when apps carry C runtime (CRT, mscredist) with them -

SFC is probably the best choice if installing 3rd party apps conflict with Win10 protecting the preview release or actual bugs in Win10.

Slartybart, Oct 17, 2014
  13. tinmar49 Win User

Internet Explorer dead

I have created the first restore point and have also put on Firefox as an alternative to IE because the internet access was still functioning after IE turned its toes up.

tinmar49, Oct 18, 2014
  14. magilla Win User
    I have an interesting scenario in that on my laptop, IE works fine under build 9926. On my desktop, some of the page display is o.k. But, when attempting to go to my work's website mail, it will not display. And, on my home webmail site, the page displays but I cannot click on the email -- when I do, it gets larger and larger and the fonts are blurred and not like all other webpages. I installed the build 9926 on the desktop without having another build on the desktop. Would that make a difference?

magilla, Jan 25, 2015
  15. Charlie Win User
    Have you try to run in compatibility mode? try open tools icon top right ie. click on compatibility view and add web site that you need to view. Might help something to try. Good luck *Cool

Charlie, Jan 25, 2015
Thema:

Internet Explorer dead

1. Internet Explorer dead - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer dead

2. Internet Explorer is Dead but What do we do with the Body?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Explorer is Dead but What do we do with the Body?: IE is still in 64-bit and 32-bit Programs. Does it still have some relevance? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-is-dead-but-what-do-we-do-with/9b711983-e3d6-4933-ae90-b4a7d2938817
  3. Internet Explorer is Dead but What do we do with the Body?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer is Dead but What do we do with the Body?: IE is still in 64-bit and 32-bit Programs. Does it still have some relevance? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-is-dead-but-what-do-we-do-with/9b711983-e3d6-4933-ae90-b4a7d2938817
  4. Internet Explorer is Dead but What do we do with the Body?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer: What happen if I disable Internet explorer? Is my game and apps will have bad problem after I disable Internet explorer? I don't use Internet explorer. It is connected with Edge. I have chrome as my default browser....
  6. internet explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet explorer: i have uninstalled internet explorer now i am unable to reinstall it on windows 10 . i downloaded manually but it is not working. how do i again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer/cadb3434-bc2d-435a-929a-e3f9cd031fb6
  7. Internet Explorer . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internet Explorer . . .: I'm having some problems, with Internet Explorer. I want to uninstall it. But, I might reinstall it later. I opened the, Control Panel. Uninstall. But, Internet Explorer, was not there? How can I, uninstall it . . . If I, can't see it? I could, go here. To take care, of...
  8. Internet Explorer . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internet Explorer . . .: My computer is a Dell laptop, running Windows 10 pro. I just installed, Internet Explorer 11. It required a restart. But, after coming back, to my desktop. It was, nowhere to be found? Do, you know where, I can look for it? Should, I re-install it? Help. Thanks for...
  9. internet explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    internet explorer: I lost my window 10 yahoo internet explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer/32f26c63-39a5-4b2f-a46b-71245078ff94
  10. Internet Explorer

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer: OK so I had a major update last night finally left it and went to bed around 2AM could not stay up waiting for it and my wife said she saw it was shut down by 7 this morning but that it had still be updating around 4-5AM. So when I got up I got doing my normal routine and...