Windows 10: Internet Explorer is much too slow.

Discus and support Internet Explorer is much too slow. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I use IE11 on Windows 10 and have also found that after a recent Windows Update it became much slower. Before the update, it was fine. Now it is... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mminos, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Jay Kay Win User

Internet Explorer is much too slow.

I use IE11 on Windows 10 and have also found that after a recent Windows Update it became much slower.

Before the update, it was fine.

Now it is much slower to start and, in particular, frequently when you click a link to 'Open in new tab', it takes several seconds and IE will hang/freeze and become unresponsive. Very frustrating.

Prior to the problem starting, IE was perfectly fast and responsive. I have a feeling this happened after the Windows Update that brought in IE11 settings protection http://winaero.com/blog/internet-exp...in-windows-10/.

I found this forum and thread Googling to see if others were reporting the same problem.

Jay Kay, Jan 21, 2016
  2. winactive Win User

I agree. Something has made it very painful to use.

winactive, Jan 21, 2016
  3. brummyfan Win User
    Have you tried a different DNS address? If not give it a try.

brummyfan, Jan 23, 2016
  4. mminos Win User

Thank you for your post brummyfan,
    As I am not an eagle in computer science, could you please explain what is a DNS address, where do I find it in I.E. and how to change it, and by what ?
    Regards.

mminos, Jan 23, 2016
  5. brummyfan Win User
    Sorry for that, right click wireless network icon in the task bar, Open network and sharing centre, click your Wi-Fi, click Properties, highlight Internet Protocol version 4 and click Properties, click Use the following DNS Address and enter Open DNS address or use google DNS address.
    OpenDNS: Primary(First line) 208.67.222.222, secondary(next line): 208.67.220.220
    Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Internet Explorer is much too slow. [​IMG]

brummyfan, Jan 23, 2016
  6. winactive Win User
    I can state that a clean install of W10 TH2 takes the update in question

Internet Explorer is much too slow. [​IMG]

and the lack of responsiveness is not present. So, it's some other issue. Removing IE11 and restoring/resetting has no effect. I have uninstalled/removed all plugins, even after trying iexplore.exe -extoff

Getting tired of resetting this PC as the list of removed apps is longer than 5 rolls of Andrex. *Rolleyes

winactive, Jan 24, 2016
  7. mminos Win User
    Hi ! brummyfan,
    Thank you for your explanations, I think I have unserstood now. My computer is currently set as "Obtain DNS server adress automatically." I have second thoughts to change this setting as it has been put in place by my Internet Provider. On top of that on my other computer, a laptop one, the setting is the same and I.E. is working perfectly well. Hence, I don't believe the reason of the slowness experienced on the laptop one is due to the DNS adress.
    So, I prefer to wait for the moment. Sorry for the work you have done.
    Regards

mminos, Jan 24, 2016
  8. brummyfan Win User

No problem, I prefer not to use ISP's DNS but it's up to you*Smile

brummyfan, Jan 24, 2016
  9. Jay Kay Win User
    Another issue I am having is getting a 'Windows low on memory' warning. Have had it about two or three times and it is IE11 that is using up the memory. I have 8GB RAM and had no problems in the past with as many or more tabs open.

Something has happened to IE11's performance recently and I am surprised there is no fix from Microsoft yet.

Given the recent announcement about the end of life for earlier IE versions, I do seriously wonder if IE11 has been deliberately hobbled to make people switch to Edge? I have tried Edge and it works fine with no slow down or hanging issues opening news tabs and windows. Just like IE11 used to work until a few weeks ago...

Jay Kay, Jan 25, 2016
  10. Jay Kay Win User
    I have found the problem thanks to Googling and finding http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...686#msg1721686

It's not IE11 that's to blame, it's something with the latest version of Trusteer Rapport software (recommended by many banks for online banking security). I uninstalled it and IE11 is now back to normal. Trusteer Rapport has been fine in the past.

So check to see if you're running Trusteer Rapport. That may be the problem.

Jay Kay, Jan 25, 2016
  11. granddy Win User
    Thank you Jay Kay

Rapport uninstalled, internet explorer 11 is flying again. *Smile

granddy, Jan 26, 2016
  12. winactive Win User
    I was, and I'd uninstalled it. Did a refresh my PC and it works. Reading this now, having not yet reinstalled Rapport. Could be able to verify it as the cause.

Edit: Yes, Rapport is the cause for me. It complains about a file signature and won't install without ignoring SmartScreen. There is a post on the IBM Trusteer website about the issue to the effect that they are 'working with Microsoft to arrive at a solution'.

winactive, Jan 28, 2016
  13. Internet Explorer is much too slow.

I also had this problem with increasing regularity, normally triggered by a new WIN 10 update.

I started noticing an error message with some websites that stopped responding that claimed the site has stopped responding because a long script was running. I could not find out what this meant, so in desperation, as a result of many other issues with my MS Account profile, I reset the PC. The other problems cleared but not this one. I decided then to just take the bull by the horns, and create a brand new profile, deleting ALL previous profiles. ( NOTE: If you do this, you need to have backed up all your files on another drive or in the cloud!)

Just about ALL the issues I had with slow responses from browsers are now gone! ( It did not matter in the end every browser I tried did the same. I think it was because I was automatically "importing" favourites into each browser, thus introducing the problem into all the other browsers.)

I am now starting again as it were. I did export IE settings and browsers into a file so I know which sites I want to restore, BUT have NOT automatically imported them again. Please note that in MS Edge under [Settings/Advanced settings, there is a tick box ticked to Import favourites. I specifically unticked this box, and did the same in IE 11 and in Chrome.

So far peace reigns! I have no idea what is/was corrupt in the favourites folder.

One of the casualties of the clean reset deleting all my sw was IBM Trusteer. Yesterday, I restored my Internet banking sites on Edge, IE 11 and on Chrome.

I could not install install trusteer. The re-install attempt failed, so probably THIS was the key issues all along!
    Now I would normally ALWAYS make ssure IB was secure! We are victims of our own in-built habits aren't we.

We live and learn!

Geoff Daniell, Feb 1, 2016
  14. winactive Win User
    Ignore this post, I just missed my Notifications! *Smile

winactive, Feb 1, 2016
  15. granddy Win User
    Rapport is now available again, down loaded via Santander, it is working fine for me, no slowdown (yet).

granddy, Mar 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Internet Explorer is much too slow. - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer much

2. Windows 11 uses too much upload and is slowing down internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 uses too much upload and is slowing down internet: In windows 11, I measured my idle network consumption and it measures at about 100 kb/second all the time, even when i’m not using the internet. This is a very fast speed for me, as I use verizon DSL internet which is very slow. I do not know the cause of this over-usage, but...
  3. Windows 11 uses too much upload and is slowing down internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 uses too much upload and is slowing down internet: In windows 11, I measured my idle network consumption and it measures at about 100 kb/second all the time, even when i’m not using the internet. This is a very fast speed for me, as I use verizon DSL internet which is very slow. I do not know the cause of this over-usage, but...
  4. too much memory usage slowing down laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    too much memory usage slowing down laptop.: Dear hello everybody,I am using lenovo laptop model Ideapad s145 with ryzen 3 radeon graphic card and 4 gb of memory. and 1tb hdd. my hdd is almost empty upto 850 gbIt was working fine but after updating windows 11 its works as tortoise. Many times hanging and no speed.when i...
  5. too much memory usage slowing down laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    too much memory usage slowing down laptop.: Dear hello everybody,I am using lenovo laptop model Ideapad s145 with ryzen 3 radeon graphic card and 4 gb of memory. and 1tb hdd. my hdd is almost empty upto 850 gbIt was working fine but after updating windows 11 its works as tortoise. Many times hanging and no speed.when i...
  6. File Explorer explores too much!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer explores too much!: How do I stop Windows Explorer searching for similar pictures? If I search for a jpg on my PC which includes the filename "chess", it finds those named files, but also a lot of other jpg files with images of chequered floors. If I search for "castle" it finds all sorts of...
  7. Internet Explorer is slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Explorer is slow: My faster computer take 10 times longer in internet explorer 11 to bring up a site than my slower computer. I deleted the cookies but didn't help. What could be causing this? Internet edge is OK 148369
  8. Slow Internet Explorer is slow

in Browsers and Email
    Slow Internet Explorer is slow: My faster computer take 10 times longer in internet explorer 11 to bring up a site than my slower computer. I deleted the cookies but didn't help. What could be causing this? Internet edge is OK 148368
  9. Internet is too slow

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internet is too slow: The download speed is about 7 Mb / sand upload speed is about 0.85 Mb / s. I use ADSL Broadband Internet Connection. Is it possible to make it faster? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-is-too-slow/9fedc47c-6628-4be3-9df3-a869419f68df
  10. File Explorer search returning too much

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer search returning too much: I have figured out that when File Explorer searches, it includes the filepath as well as file name and contents. I see this as a problem, since I rarely, if ever, search based on the filepath. Please tell me there's a way to turn this off. I also see an option for whether...